Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:08 PM

13 posts, read 8,323 times

Advertisements

Yes, East TN does have a drug problem. I lived in Morristown, TN for most of my life and I know it is known for drugs. However, most of TN does have a drug problem. Tennessee is trying to control the drug problem. It's sad to see so many people on drugs. There have been hundreds (if not more) of opioid deaths in East Tennessee this year alone.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
And the Inca's started chewing on coca plants over 8,000 years ago. None of this has anything to do with the OP's question, though.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:44 PM

96 posts, read 134,928 times
Well, I may become a "Halfback" ,too. Fl has many good points but this part (Jax) has gotten a lot more built up, even in the three years we've been here. The cost of living is good, access to culture that is affordable is great (especially when compared to NYC). But, the long, long periods of heat and the seemingly growing increase in hurricanes has become a concern.

So, we're considering both the Winston/Salem suburbs as well as the Knoxville area. We're interested more in safe neighborhoods rather than "out in the woods", close to amenities and medical. While we don't have any school age kids, good schools very often reflect pride and concern for a town/neighborhood. Coming from up North, we also know first hand that expenditures on schools don't always mean quality. Some of the forums skew the ratings of schools based on per student spending rather than on test scores, etc.

Any feedback on Knoxville and surrounding areas/towns? We are planning a trip to NC in November and then to TN in January.

Thanks for any insights.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGCTFL View Post
We're interested more in safe neighborhoods rather than "out in the woods", close to amenities and medical. While we don't have any school age kids, good schools very often reflect pride and concern for a town/neighborhood. Coming from up North, we also know first hand that expenditures on schools don't always mean quality. Some of the forums skew the ratings of schools based on per student spending rather than on test scores, etc.
I say this all the time, it's absolutely true.

There are lots of nice areas of Knoxville, I think you'll enjoy your visit.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:50 AM

191 posts, read 307,956 times
Knoxville has an active local opera company and a symphony. Last night's symphony concert ran us $55 each for good seats at the historic Tennessee Theater. We had a really good dinner at Tupelo Honey Cafe (gourmet Southern cuisine) for around $100 for three people. And parking was free. Since we spent $500 on tickets for the Met this spring, I agree that NYC can be pricey.

The Tennessee Theater has a varied music program - it's not all classical. They do a bit of everything. And we do have an art museum and plays both at UT and amateur companies. Plus a lovely free botanical garden at UT.

We're pleased with the cultural offerings.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM

257 posts, read 489,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGCTFL View Post
Well, I may become a "Halfback" ,too. Fl has many good points but this part (Jax) has gotten a lot more built up, even in the three years we've been here. The cost of living is good, access to culture that is affordable is great (especially when compared to NYC). But, the long, long periods of heat and the seemingly growing increase in hurricanes has become a concern.

So, we're considering both the Winston/Salem suburbs as well as the Knoxville area. We're interested more in safe neighborhoods rather than "out in the woods", close to amenities and medical. While we don't have any school age kids, good schools very often reflect pride and concern for a town/neighborhood. Coming from up North, we also know first hand that expenditures on schools don't always mean quality. Some of the forums skew the ratings of schools based on per student spending rather than on test scores, etc.

Any feedback on Knoxville and surrounding areas/towns? We are planning a trip to NC in November and then to TN in January.

Thanks for any insights.
We moved outside Maryville a few years ago and are very happy with our decision. The city of Maryville has some nice neighborhoods, a good school district, and extensive greenway for walking. The county has a great library and there are some interesting programs at Maryville College. Knoxville is about 30 minutes away.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:04 PM

672 posts, read 810,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYS2Tennessee View Post
. You can easily get a country setting and still be in county limits, or even city limits.
Can you get that country setting and still have horses, chickens, goats within city limits?

Old 10-22-2017, 02:13 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
Can you get that country setting and still have horses, chickens, goats within city limits?
You’d want to check with local zoning in the area you’re considering. If so, you’d probably have fairly narrow restrictions on the number of animals you can have.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:00 PM

196 posts, read 259,004 times
Quote:

Yes, to most. You can get some privacy in city limits (for a price). I'm in city limits and my neighbors have chickens. I've seen horses within city limits. There's probably a bit more regulation on numbers of animals though. Look up city animal codes to be sure what and how many you can have.
If you do want that many animals and a real country feel county would probably be a better fit. Knox County is really nice and has a ton of farm land or wooded land. There's a lot of different sections of Knoxville and Knox County, I really feel like there's something for everyone here

Old 10-22-2017, 07:25 PM

363 posts, read 481,915 times
Quote:
I'm sure you could within city limits but city limits also comes with higher taxes. You can easily do it within county limits and still be close to what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville