Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 06:10 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,203 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

My wife and I currently live in Las Vegas and we have decided that we want to retire in about six years to an area with trees and water. One of the areas that was suggested to us is Knoxville.

I have family in Hickory, N.C. so a move to Knoxville would allow me to reconnect with them. I previously lived in southwest Missouri for 16 years in the 70s and 80s, and I think the populations are about equivalent. So, I'm kind of interested in the area.

One thing that is a possible concern to us is that my wife suffers from SAD (seasonal affected disease) and she would not like it if the area is under constant cloud cover for a number of months in the winter. She is originally from Chicago and the clouds covered the city pretty much from November to March. So, is there constant cloud cover in the winter? We realize that there will be plenty of cloudy days, but what I'm referring to is it being totally overcast for a month at a time.

We are driving to Maryland and Virginia in late April so will drive through Knoxville on the way back to Las Vegas so will take a look at the city at that time.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 06:58 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Hi guys!

My wife and I currently live in Las Vegas and we have decided that we want to retire in about six years to an area with trees and water. One of the areas that was suggested to us is Knoxville.

I have family in Hickory, N.C. so a move to Knoxville would allow me to reconnect with them. I previously lived in southwest Missouri for 16 years in the 70s and 80s, and I think the populations are about equivalent. So, I'm kind of interested in the area.

One thing that is a possible concern to us is that my wife suffers from SAD (seasonal affected disease) and she would not like it if the area is under constant cloud cover for a number of months in the winter. She is originally from Chicago and the clouds covered the city pretty much from November to March. So, is there constant cloud cover in the winter? We realize that there will be plenty of cloudy days, but what I'm referring to is it being totally overcast for a month at a time.

We are driving to Maryland and Virginia in late April so will drive through Knoxville on the way back to Las Vegas so will take a look at the city at that time.

Thanks for your help!
There are some sunny days during winter; however, most of winter does have a general cloud cover and seems "gray" to me. But, I hate winter. We have a lot of snowbirds in the area. You can always check weather internet sites for this type of information to get more true and accurate information. I know some people in the area who actually do light therapy due to SAD.

Good luck!

Old 10-24-2017, 06:35 AM

191 posts, read 308,201 times
Try WeatherSpark:

the month of January in Knoxville experiences essentially constant cloud cover, with the percentage of time that the sky is overcast or mostly cloudy remaining about 54% throughout the month. The highest chance of overcast or mostly cloudy conditions is 55% on January 3.

The clearest day of the month is January 28, with clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy conditions 48% of the time.

For reference, on January 3, the cloudiest day of the year, the chance of overcast or mostly cloudy conditions is 55%, while on September 21, the clearest day of the year, the chance of clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy skies is 67%.

Last edited by geranium; 10-24-2017 at 06:55 AM..

Old 10-24-2017, 04:01 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Try this.

https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/...pctposrank.txt

Old 10-24-2017, 08:00 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Or try this one... https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...f-sunshine.php

Old 10-25-2017, 08:23 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,203 times
Thank you!

Old 10-25-2017, 09:09 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
When compared to most of the east Knoxville appears to have a bit more sunny days. But when compared to Las Vegas it will appear like Seattle. All depends on how much sun you wife needs, and there are always the lights others have mentioned.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:29 AM

363 posts, read 482,358 times
It definitely isn't like Seattle or Chicago when it comes to cloud cover but we are in the mountains after all so we certainly have grey days. Maybe I don't notice because I work inside during the day 5 times out of the week LOL. A month long though...it doesn't seem like we get weather like THAT BUT I will defer to our more seasoned locals. It's certainly not Vegas though.

I don't want your wife to be unhappy so I hope that you guys find a nice place to settle. Good luck.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:00 AM

496 posts, read 411,743 times
Knoxville is fairly cloudy and gets a lot of rain. Quite gloomy in winter compared to Vegas. In addition to the lights previously mentioned, your wife might want to take vitamin D if you move there.

You might want to rent for a year, just to be sure it works for you both. I have sad, so I understand what your wife goes through. It isn't easy.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:25 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
Knoxville is fairly cloudy and gets a lot of rain. Quite gloomy in winter compared to Vegas. In addition to the lights previously mentioned, your wife might want to take vitamin D if you move there.

You might want to rent for a year, just to be sure it works for you both. I have sad, so I understand what your wife goes through. It isn't easy.

When you say a lot of rain that does mean days of rain on end or days where a late day storm is common? I was told that was the case in Johnson City, many nice days with a late day thunder boomer that distorted the "number or rainy days" stat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville