U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 02:06 AM

18 posts, read 19,093 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a 50 yr old disabled female veteran considering moving to either Knoxville or Maryville from South California. I always loved Knoxville, lived in Georgia for five years and visited before, but have been reading this forum and I'm kind of looking into Maryville too because it's smaller and closer to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park, which I Love.

My questions are:
1. Are there any towns around Knoxville or Maryville that has a retired veterans population? Vets know about vets benefits that other people usually don't.
2. Is there any other small town other than Maryville in where a single disabled female can live fairly secure? I want to rent first and then buy, my rent limit is $1,000. I don't care if I live far away of the city. I'm looking for green trees, peaceful place, fairly close to a VA clinic and with fair access to public transportation and groceries stores.
3. What kind of outdoor activities are there to do in the Maryville area? I have a small dog and we like to walk
A lot and would consider hiking if it's more like hiking low grounds,cannot do high ground stuff anymore
4. Is there public transportation in Maryville and do they give veterans or disabled discount?
5. Since I cannot drive, is it better to get into a public bus, taxi, call someone from care.com or use Uber or Lyft? Most of my trips will be appointments to the doctor , going to the movies or grocery shopping or going to walk in a park
6. Lastly, what's the average temperatures in both summer and winter in the area?

I would greatly appreciate any input .
Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 07:47 AM

191 posts, read 281,883 times
Here's one possibility to get you started: https://www.windoverknoxville.com/

It's a dog-friendly apartment complex near the VA that's in your budget. Even has a dog park and is in Knoxville proper so you'd have the Knoxville bus system to fall back on. (Keep in mind that it's a possibility and not a recommendation.) . That area has groceries and restaurants nearby and is close to the mall. But it's as urban as Knoxville gets.

If you have serious medical issues and may need public hospitals, I suggest that you stay within Knox County; medical services are far superior.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:50 AM

363 posts, read 435,660 times
You're going to want to stay in Knoxville. There is no VA hospital here, just one outpatient clinic. But it is in a good location in West Knoxville. I believe there are apartments that should fit your budget near by and won't need to use public transportation. You will need to use public transportation to get to the larger hospitals downtown but the KAT should take you there if you are living in the VA clinic area. I believe there is also door to door shuttle service provided by the ETHRA.

There is no clinic in Maryville. The nearest VA hospital is in Johnson City. The good news is that if you want to live in Maryville, AMVETS has a shuttle that will take you to the VA hospital on certain days. I don't know if there is a shuttle to the clinic in Knox. Maryville also has the reserve base and it has a commissary (keep in mind, it is very small) and there is a armed forces club as well but no clinic. But if you do need constant care and large hospitals, you could be better off in Knox.

I'm not sure what part of Southern CA you are coming from but I recently moved there from Temecula. There are days here where it felt like a winter day up in Big Bear but without the snow. The big thing that gets most people is the humidity. It was the worst July-September this year.

Last edited by onetoughkitty; 11-16-2017 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 11-16-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geranium View Post
Here's one possibility to get you started: https://www.windoverknoxville.com/

It's a dog-friendly apartment complex near the VA that's in your budget. Even has a dog park and is in Knoxville proper so you'd have the Knoxville bus system to fall back on. (Keep in mind that it's a possibility and not a recommendation.) . That area has groceries and restaurants nearby and is close to the mall. But it's as urban as Knoxville gets.

If you have serious medical issues and may need public hospitals, I suggest that you stay within Knox County; medical services are far superior.
Thanks! I'm going to check it.
So, West Knox is the most rural area of the city? Because I love rural areas, but I guess I'm going to have to forget about it if I want to be close to a VA hospital no?

Old 11-16-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post
You're going to want to stay in Knoxville. There is no VA hospital here, just one outpatient clinic. But it is in a good location in West Knoxville. I believe there are apartments that should fit your budget near by and won't need to use public transportation. You will need to use public transportation to get to the larger hospitals downtown but the KAT should take you there if you are living in the VA clinic area. I believe there is also door to door shuttle service provided by the ETHRA.

There is no clinic in Maryville. The nearest VA hospital is in Johnson City. The good news is that if you want to live in Maryville, AMVETS has a shuttle that will take you to the VA hospital on certain days. I don't know if there is a shuttle to the clinic in Knox. Maryville also has the reserve base and it has a commissary (keep in mind, it is very small) and there is a armed forces club as well but no clinic. But if you do need constant care and large hospitals, you could be better off in Knox.

I'm not sure what part of Southern CA you are coming from but I recently moved there from Temecula. There are days here where it felt like a winter day up in Big Bear but without the snow. The big thing that gets most people is the humidity. It was the worst July-September this year.
Thanks for the info. ��
I checked the area for the Va Clinic in West Knox and I really liked that there's a lot of stores that we have here. ( I live in Menifee. We were neighbors. Isn't that cool?)
I go to a VA clinic that is as big as the one in West Knox. Only went to the big hospitals for specialty doctors, so it will be okay.
Will have to check the shuttle with the VA but it's okay too.
Love the big park close by.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodz04 View Post
Thanks! I'm going to check it.
So, West Knox is the most rural area of the city? Because I love rural areas, but I guess I'm going to have to forget about it if I want to be close to a VA hospital no?
West Knox is definitely not what you call rural. It reminds me a lot of Temecula actually. Suburbs, lots of suburbs.

If you want to be in a rural area near the VA, then you might want to consider the Tri-Cities (Johnson City, Bristol, Kingsport) area a little further north since that is where the VA hospital is located. It's a lot less populated out there and the weather is somewhat cooler.

https://www.mountainhome.va.gov/

Old 11-16-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
West Knox is definitely not what you call rural. It reminds me a lot of Temecula actually. Suburbs, lots of suburbs.

If you want to be in a rural area near the VA, then you might want to consider the Tri-Cities (Johnson City, Bristol, Kingsport) area a little further north since that is where the VA hospital is located. It's a lot less populated out there and the weather is somewhat cooler.

https://www.mountainhome.va.gov/
Do you know if the KAT, Uber and Lyft serve those areas?
Also, what about stores? Is like that part where the outpatient clinic is?

Old 11-16-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodz04 View Post
Do you know if the KAT, Uber and Lyft serve those areas?
Also, what about stores? Is like that part where the outpatient clinic is?
Menifee! My best friend lives out that way. I remember when no one wanted to live out there and it was unincorporated I love the green here, I hope you will too.

The KAT should get you there to the VA in West Knox. I think you should also get Uber, I know some people who have used it. Don't know about Lyft though. ETHRA should be able to help you out too with the door-to-door service they offer.

As for stores near the VA clinic in West Knox, there is a Target right across the street from the clinic. The mall is a short walk east of the clinic. Food City is on the east side of the mall. There are several apartment complexes near the mall and east of the area where the VA is, near the high school. Walmart and Sam's Club a bit to the north across the freeway but a KAT stop is right there.

Tri-Cities is about an hour outside of Knoxville. Not sure if there is any public transportation out that way. I'm sure there is but I have not ventured enough that way to know what it is like. I believe there is a kid on here who is from that part of the area, he might know.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:16 PM

6,208 posts, read 10,683,851 times
I will advise you to call KAT at 637-3000 and ask them to mail you a full color system map. If they don't I will. Then ask the visitors bureau to send you a park/greenway map. They aren't exactly rural but there are plenty of parks accessible by bus.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:03 PM

15,231 posts, read 19,127,585 times
Quote:
Tri-Cities is about an hour outside of Knoxville. Not sure if there is any public transportation out that way. I'm sure there is but I have not ventured enough that way to know what it is like.
JC public transit is somewhat limited as are most in smaller cites. Map - Johnson City Transit

However they do offer paratransit for disabled residents. Johnson City Transit

We have Uber, have not used it personally so no idea if it's convenient to use here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville