Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 01:50 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I will avoid letting people in if there is roadwork and they want to speed all the way up the closed lane as far as possible and try to get over at the last minute, basically cutting in front of everyone else. Is that mean?
That's not even close to what I'm talking about.

I mean I'm in the slow lane, guy in front of me is going too slow, over in the fast lane there's enough room for a tandem semi-truck to pull in so I flip on my left blinker and start to make my way over. Mr. Type-A (but with narcissistic aggression) speeds up and blocks me.

But you knew that, didn't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geranium View Post
No, it's not mean. It's a common sense approach to the treatment of the entitled.

Now, if we could just block those full-basket folk out of the '15-item or less' checkout lanes.
If you worry about such things you are:

a) "blessed" with having too much time on your hands to worry about what other people are doing.

b) going to give yourself a heart attack.

c) both.

By the way, lest you start whining about how you are busy, busy, busy and "those people" shouldn't get in the express lane, you do know that cashiers will often encourage customers to come to their register, no matter how many items they have, right?

In any event, life is far too short.

On a lighter note, if I want to get in front of you while driving, I will do it. Even the hardcore drivers will give up and back off. Wanna race?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 03:28 PM

196 posts, read 259,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I will avoid letting people in if there is roadwork and they want to speed all the way up the closed lane as far as possible and try to get over at the last minute, basically cutting in front of everyone else. Is that mean?
That's a different situation. Though, I do notice that sometimes lanes are backed up because everyone merged to one lane too early.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:37 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
OP: I find that your question is indeed very subjective. You should read the threads already in progress and definitely visit for your own take on the area.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:49 PM

196 posts, read 259,210 times
To answer OP, I don't think people here are more caring than anywhere else. People are friendlier than in the Northeast, but I wouldn't say more caring.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I totally forgot to tell the OP to thank his son for his service!

Old 12-30-2017, 04:37 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,821,410 times
I enjoyed reading this thread In general folks are extremely helpful here especially when it comes to those in need. In my facebook groups, if someone is in need of anything (and not even asking for assistance), others come to the rescue immediately.

But I've found conversation with locals difficult, for 2 reasons. Most of them do a lot of talking and aren't interested in me at all. They don't ask me anything, and if I start to talk about myself, they interrupt or get back to themselves as soon as they can. In public (like stores) where I tend to get uncomfortable (social anxiety), I will often make an observation in order to start conversation with the person / people around me. Often locals see my observation as complaining (which it is not) and do not engage. So, that's frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville