Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:52 AM

365 posts, read 1,009,829 times

Advertisements

After doing some more research on my options for possible retirement, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that Tn. is the best place for us. However, as well as the tri-cities areas of Johnson City & Kingsport, I've become interested in the city of Knoxville or Oak Ridge as alternative choices. I'd like your input on why you would or would not choose to live in any of those places.
What in your opinion are the main differences between living in Knoxville vs the Tri-Cities areas, besides the size?

We are a couple happily married for the last 26 years, with two grown daughters that we will be leaving behind, hopefully eventually they will follow. Hubby is 63 (doesn't look his age) & I'm about to turn 49. We aren't religious, although he's a Christian & I'm Jewish by birth. We are best friends who enjoy doing everything together...good thing since we will have all that time to be together in another 2 years, 4 months. We are conservative about certain things, appreciate morals & values, but liberal thinking in a few other areas. We love the outdoors, especially playing disc golf! I enjoy shopping when I have the money to do so.
We've lived in several cities both large & small, I don't care for too large, or to small...something in the middle sounds good. Cost of living, quality of living, taxes, crime, having something to do all make a difference.
I figured it might help for you to know a little about us. If you feel the need to know anything else, just ask.

I look foward to hearing what you have to say
We are planning a visit this summer, can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 08:35 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times
I appreciate your question here and in the Tri-Cities forum. I really think that when you visit you will know what feels right and where you want to be. I have lived in both areas and truly each have their pros and cons and each are very liveable. By reading these forums here you can find past posts that tell you a lot about the respective areas. East Tennessee has a lot to offer a lot of different people. Come visit and let us know what you think and let us know any specific questions that you have.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times
Hi, there, dlk33. SmokyMtnGal just gave you the perfect answer to your post. I wanted to let you know that I really identify so well with you quandry.

You sound just like my hubby and me last year at this time. Just where is going to be the best spot for us? It has taken us many visits to TN to come to a decision.

Over the past year we have made about 8 trips to the Knoxville and Blount County area to stay a few days each visit and get familiar with the local culture, medical facilities, shopping, events, parks, etc. We have been visiting various parts of TN for the past 9 years to find just the place for us.

A good place to start is to decide exactly what you want in a new community - and it sounds like you do know pretty well already - and visit both areas, spend a few days each place and return in the fall or winter when the climate is quite different. You may have different impressions then.

Talk to local people at grocery stores, gas stations, parks, restaurants, and even in neighborhoods where you might see someone working out in the yard. You will get a feeling for the culture, the nature of the local folks, and the amenities that you require. Just by chit-chatting in a store line will give you a lot of insight in the local culture and people in the area.

If it feels like a good fit and you feel those good vibes, then please ask specific questions from the forum members to narrow down your search. Everyone here on the TN forum is more than willing to help you find the best spot for you, but we all like and require something different.

Only you can decide which if the very best for you and your hubby.

Check in on the forum frequently and you will learn a lot about different areas just by reading the posts here. Chime in any time with a question and comment. But, do come to E. TN for a visit before making a decision.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,545 times
Very well said, Gemkeeper.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the fast input! I wish I were there right now for that visit, especially since we're in the middle of yet another snow storm with 4-6" expected.
I realize that everyone has different tastes & expectations about their best place to live. I believe information and opinion is valuable, no matter what it is. I have been reading as much of the forum as possible past & present. Things change over time in a community, so getting the latest info means the most to me. As an example...I've lived in certain place years ago, that have changed so much that I wouldn't care to live there now.
As far as a visit, I would ask questions of people I happen to get into a conversation with, but wouldn't feel right just going up to someone & striking up a conversation. Maybe they wouldn't care to be bothered
We will only have the opportunity to make one or two trips before making our decision, money is an issue. I think we will be able to decide pretty quick. We've gone other places in search for our best place & I knew right away how I felt.
I will continue to read the online newpapers, forums, and vacation guide to get a feel the places we're interested in calling our future home until I can make the visit to see for myself.
Until then, I want you guys to know that I appreciate everything you have to say, and the time you put in to say it

Old 03-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
As far as a visit, I would ask questions of people I happen to get into a conversation with, but wouldn't feel right just going up to someone & striking up a conversation. Maybe they wouldn't care to be bothered
That's funny. Around here you are liable to get someone's life story just by standing next to them in the grocery line. Most people would probably welcome the chance to expound on their neighborhood.

I think you will have somewhat of a difficult time getting in depth comparisons of the two areas. They are far enough apart, that there aren't all that many people who will have lived in both areas. If you are lucky, one or two may be in this forum.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:09 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
I think you will have somewhat of a difficult time getting in depth comparisons of the two areas. They are far enough apart, that there aren't all that many people who will have lived in both areas. If you are lucky, one or two may be in this forum.
There is one guy on the Tri Cities forum that lived here while he went to UT. I don't know anyone else besides me that has lived in both places. I would love for anyone else besides me to chime in. If you are a lurker, please consider signing up for membership and joining in the conversation!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:30 PM

I'm lucky, someone from the Knoxville forum where I posted the same initial inquiry has sent me a couple of direct messages. I've kind of been told that the Tri-Cities area is a smaller version of Knoxville. Also, KV's airport may be a bit more cost effective then TC, even though I realize that neither is as good as Nashville.

I 'm curious, do you all just pretty much stay put there, or do you ever wander off to other areas of the state to get away, like Knoxville? Is it really that great that you don't want to leave, even for a little while??

Old 03-21-2008, 01:37 PM

340 posts, read 1,188,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
I 'm curious, do you all just pretty much stay put there, or do you ever wander off to other areas of the state to get away, like Knoxville? Is it really that great that you don't want to leave, even for a little while??
DH and I vacationed in this area for 20 years before moving here. And after making a couple of additional trips to look at the area through eyes of people who want to move here, we moved here and rented on the north side of Knoxville for a year. We took that year to drive all over the area, and finally decided on the place we thought we would move to in the first place, Maryville. For us, it was the proximity to the Smokies. We love to hike, etc., and wanted to be close enough to just go hike for the day. Maryville had lots of other things that appealed to us too.

We've never regretted taking that year to figure out where we wanted to buy a home.

And to answer the question above, we've been here 3 years already (where HAS the time gone!?! ) and we have gotten out on short trips around the state (and want to go to Charleston SC and Savannah GA), but we live now in our favorite vacation place, so every day off is a vacation day for us.

There are some great areas to visit, and east TN is a good central location for vacation hopping.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:42 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,658,831 times
I venture out from time to time. I like going to estate-type auctions and will go to Chattanooga or the Nashville area for those. Also get to Crossville and Lake City.
I also go to dirt track races and that takes me around the area.
One of the main reasons I moved to Knoxville is because I can find what I need to keep me amused right here. Which, given gas prices right now, is a good thing.
The Knoxville airport is a dream to fly out of. Very easy parking and access. If you have a handicapped placard or plate, parking in the short-term area is free and you can literally park across the street from the terminal. I've flew out at Christmas this year and there was no one in line for security or at the ticket counter. We were delayed getting out, so I hung out at Ruby Tuesday's with others from my flight.
You can get a van to the Nashville airport from West Knoxville. It leaves from the Hampton Inn (I think) off Cedar Bluff. Cost $30 last time I took it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville