Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:31 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times

Advertisements

Downtown is totally safe! Well, as safe as anywhere can be. It's when you get out of downtown, into some areas of the city that ring downtown (especially on the east/south side), that you need to watch where you relocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 09:10 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,820,345 times
even the cops are nice here. I just had so many negative experiences with cops in Florida, where police brutality is the norm. It was difficult to shake my impressions of policemen upon moving here, but I have only had positive experiences, so it's getting easier.

in Google I typed in "Knoxville studio apartments" and a bunch of stuff came up. South Knox is the "ugly" part of Knoxville. However just south of the Henley bridge is a Latino population and it's close to downtown. I don't think it's a bad area, just old. There are some nice parks in south Knox. And any closer you can get to the Smoky Mountains is a plus.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:30 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
even the cops are nice here. I just had so many negative experiences with cops in Florida, where police brutality is the norm. It was difficult to shake my impressions of policemen upon moving here, but I have only had positive experiences, so it's getting easier.
I can relate to this.

I worked with the cops up north for ten years, so I was never intimidated by them and respected them, but after dealing with the Florida cops, I would shake whenever a cop got behind me. Driving to here was terrifying!

They are super nice in Knox County and I am completely relaxed around them, too.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I can relate to this.

I worked with the cops up north for ten years, so I was never intimidated by them and respected them, but after dealing with the Florida cops, I would shake whenever a cop got behind me. Driving to here was terrifying!

They are super nice in Knox County and I am completely relaxed around them, too.
I have friends who are cops in Florida. They are no different than anyone else. Why would a drive from Florida to Tennessee be terrifying?

Old 03-24-2008, 10:01 AM

Perhaps they are not Lee County cops. They were unlike any cops I were use to.

I was terrified because, at that point I was afraid of any cop. It took a long time to get over that.

I'm from a cop family and aspired to be a cop for a very long time.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:30 PM

20 posts, read 77,899 times
I'm already in Knoxville! Got here this afternoon, left NoVa at 5:30am. Anyways... You guys are right about South Knoxville being uglyish oldish, I didnt really like that part of town. Norht Knox is ok... I havent checked out East Knox, but West Knoxville is nice!
Unfortunately I havent found a place to live yet The studio available in South Knoxville is crap lol, I visited this girl's house in South Knoxville (from craigslist), she has a room for rent... plus I'd get to chill anywhere else in the house, it's nice! But the neighborhood is well into the woods, you'd have to drive up and down, left and right in order to get there, and it's a little far from Downtown... So, that's the only thing I got so far Right now Im just chilling at Panera Bread lol
When I first arrived in Knoxville, it was very cloudy and cold... and that gave me kind of a bad impression of the city (it looked kinda wierd) but then it got sunny and then whole city changed, it looked sooo much better! I still need a place to live though I don't really want to stay in Northern Virginia. I've been waiting for months to move out, and this is the time!

Old 03-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow85 View Post
I'm already in Knoxville! Got here this afternoon, left NoVa at 5:30am. Anyways... You guys are right about South Knoxville being uglyish oldish, I didnt really like that part of town. Norht Knox is ok... I havent checked out East Knox, but West Knoxville is nice!
Unfortunately I havent found a place to live yet The studio available in South Knoxville is crap lol, I visited this girl's house in South Knoxville (from craigslist), she has a room for rent... plus I'd get to chill anywhere else in the house, it's nice! But the neighborhood is well into the woods, you'd have to drive up and down, left and right in order to get there, and it's a little far from Downtown... So, that's the only thing I got so far Right now Im just chilling at Panera Bread lol
When I first arrived in Knoxville, it was very cloudy and cold... and that gave me kind of a bad impression of the city (it looked kinda wierd) but then it got sunny and then whole city changed, it looked sooo much better! I still need a place to live though I don't really want to stay in Northern Virginia. I've been waiting for months to move out, and this is the time!
Welcome!

Today was a horrible day! As long as the freeze doesn't kill all the flowers, it should look beautiful by the weekend. Hang in there!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Jack Sparrow, my boy, I am so glad you made it!! I knew that lots of locals could, and would, help you find a suitable area. Keep looking and I hope you find just the right apartment. (Maybe Keira Knightley will have an apt. next door! )

I hope that everything works out for you, Jack Sparrow. How long will you be able to stay in Knoxville to find a place to live? What about a job? Are you doing a search there, also?

Keep us up to date and folks here will be glad to help you with your questions. Great that you have a laptop with you.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:23 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
You might try huntington place apartments off Sutherland. They used to have some cheap places. Ask if they have a roomate matching service, 1/2 of a 2 BR would be very affordable. They are across from the UT student housing so might have more of a cosmopolitan vibe. I saw where the motel 8 on papaermill is renting rooms for $149/week. Might be a good place to stay while you are looking around. Good luck.

I've heard bad things about volunteer studios.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:27 PM

20 posts, read 77,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I've heard bad things about volunteer studios.
I did a search for it! It's not worth even visiting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville