Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 02:56 PM

14 posts, read 13,002 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone , we are looking at Marysville, Knoxville area for retirement.
How are the doctors and hospitals in the area. Recommendations on better towns would be appreciated too.
On Medicare. Are the doctors good and can you get appointments easily?
Also important would be public library and shopping through with the internet becoming less important.
Please let us know how you adjusted especially if you moved from the metro NY area.
Does it make sense to move near a lake if not into boating?
It is down to SC and TN now. Don’t know how to compare as very different, ocean vs mountains. Love both. So it will be based on gut feelings and friendly people. We are considering Myrtle Beach are but leery of tourists.
Thank y’all in advance. 🤗 practicing southern sayings ‘ cuz I adore them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 07:01 PM

196 posts, read 259,185 times
I'm from the lower Hudson Valley NY, all my doctors were in Bergen County NJ.
I have liked the doctors I've used in Knoxville SOOOOOOO much better than the ones in NJ. The care here has been infinitely better.
I mean, if you like the view of the lake you can buy lakefront or riverfront somewhere.
I'd look around Knoxville and Knox County in general, I'm not a huge fan of Maryville.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:50 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Myrtle Beach is a tourist trap and lacking in Southern hospitality and anything else Southern.

We've had good to not-that-great medical care here. Stay away from Fort Sanders Hospital.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:41 AM

455 posts, read 669,937 times
Bergen County NJ transplant. Knoxville 10 years, now living in the Charleston SC area. Have relatives living in MB. Knoxville is not going to be so hectic and crazy with tourists. Coastal SC is being rapidly developed. Where we live I often feel I am living back in NJ. Which for us, fit our lifestyle better.
Knoxville, especially around the lakes, rivers and mountains is beautiful. You will be able to find good doctors, but there won’t be as many as you had in NY. And of course, you won’t have the major hospitals.
Make sure if you are considering the SC Coast, you visit starting in June through September.
Sun is intense and ALOT of humidity. I don’t know if I moved directly from NJ to SC I could take the heat. TN has a more moderate climate.
From what I hear, good medical care can be found in MB, but for the more complex cases, people travel to Charleston. I found Knoxville had adequate care for our needs.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:55 AM

196 posts, read 259,185 times
OP, this may not have any effect on you but TN is extremely strict about painkiller prescriptions compared to NY and NJ.
I completely understand why, but it was a huge surprise to my mom who had an RX for a decade from her PCP in NJ. She was extremely responsible with them, had real documented pain issues, and she is completely unable to receive them here. She now does PT weekly and still has pain some days that is unbearable.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:33 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
I see you have more posts in the Myrtle Beach area than this one. For now, my advice is to visit each area and see what feels right and then look at particulars. You first need to narrow down your search to an area that feels like home and then do more research.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:54 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
The medical facilities at Turkey Creek on the west side of Knoxville are some of the best I've ever encountered. I recently had a shoulder procedure there and it came off without a hitch. Recovery was much faster than I could ever have dreamed of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville