Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:34 PM

592 posts, read 2,134,423 times

Advertisements

I would love to get into the business of buying foreclosures and fixing them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 03:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
That ship has already sailed. I suspect there will be money in it, again, at some point, but not right now.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:37 PM

Now would definitely be the time to buy....and then you have a few years to work on them. Then, in about 3 years or so (hopefully), you can turn around and sell them when things get straightened out.

I'm not sure things are quite as bad as you feel they are hik, but I will agree the market is slow right now. That makes it an even better time to buy.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:02 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb62676 View Post
Now would definitely be the time to buy....and then you have a few years to work on them. Then, in about 3 years or so (hopefully), you can turn around and sell them when things get straightened out.

I'm not sure things are quite as bad as you feel they are hik, but I will agree the market is slow right now. That makes it an even better time to buy.
Wow, I had never even considered flipping a single family home in terms of years. My friends husband flips homes and he doesn't like holding them longer than 3 months. Most flipping shows on tv are the same way; they like to flip quickly. I dated a guy once that was a developer type flipper and took on old buildings converting them into condo's and even he worked hard on fast tracking them and never liked to hold them longer than a year.

As far as it being a good time to buy I think that this is highly subjective in regards to several factors that are both across the board and personal to the buyer.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:51 PM

15 posts, read 45,820 times
GoodbyeHollywood,

I agree with most here, I think the housing market in Charlotte is more attractive then Knoxville. I applogize for not saying "please" in the last post. I'm not asking you or anyone else to be a research assistant, just a freindly suggestion or kind word of advice is all we are looking for. Thanks for your input. It will be noted.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Wow, I had never even considered flipping a single family home in terms of years. My friends husband flips homes and he doesn't like holding them longer than 3 months. Most flipping shows on tv are the same way; they like to flip quickly. I dated a guy once that was a developer type flipper and took on old buildings converting them into condo's and even he worked hard on fast tracking them and never liked to hold them longer than a year.

As far as it being a good time to buy I think that this is highly subjective in regards to several factors that are both across the board and personal to the buyer.
If it's your full time gig, I could easily see why you'd want to keep it to a minimum time of ownership. For that reason, I could see why right now would be a very bad time to try it in Knoxville. A buddy of mine has recently started doing a little of this in his spare time in KC. For me, it would have to be a long term thing...but by the time I can afford to do something like flip houses, I doubt I'll have the time or the motivation to do it as I'll have my time taken up by my full time job.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:22 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb62676 View Post
If it's your full time gig, I could easily see why you'd want to keep it to a minimum time of ownership. For that reason, I could see why right now would be a very bad time to try it in Knoxville. A buddy of mine has recently started doing a little of this in his spare time in KC. For me, it would have to be a long term thing...but by the time I can afford to do something like flip houses, I doubt I'll have the time or the motivation to do it as I'll have my time taken up by my full time job.
Oh, my mistake. I had assumed that you were going to buy other properties to flip and not live in them. I didn't realize that you were going after the 2 year main residence occupancy time. When we bought our second home we also were able to take advantages of tax breaks (if you want to call them that); but any homes over two you lose tax advantages.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:16 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myndsplyntur View Post
Why is everyone giving him a hard time for being a house flipper? That doesn't make any sense.

I can say that there are some house flippers here and they are making an effort to fix the rundown crappy houses -- but i doubt they are making much of a profit from their flips. The areas where flipping would be an option are not going to bring in people who want to buy the house for more than $80 - $150k.
Not necessarily true. I would suspect that some respectable profits have been made in 4th and Gill and North Hills with Victorian homes.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
Not necessarily true. I would suspect that some respectable profits have been made in 4th and Gill and North Hills with Victorian homes.
Oh, I agree. However, I don't think that's going to happen right now.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:19 AM

Want to flip houses? Go to foreclosure-ground-zero. You'll have a lot of inventory to deal with, but prices are getting slashed.

"As foreclosures rose, asking prices tumbled. That has resulted in discounts of 40% or more on properties ranging from mansions to modest tract houses."

RealEstateJournal | Bargain Hunters Descend On Cape Coral-Fort Myers

Locally, we are seeing some fallout from the national situation. Last month, sales dropped by 22 percent. Notice that local real estate agents have not been on here to point that out.

knoxnews.com | Property Scope

Many Ohio and Michigan markets have been incredibly low, although some areas are starting to see appreciation.

But I would imagine that a seasoned flipper would know all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville