Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 07:39 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,909,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I know of a few people around here who don't care for fur coats but not because they're on a crusade for animal rights. It's because it's just so unnecessary. It just doesn't get cold enough to warrant wearing fur coats, so it's seen more as a flaunting of over-the-top luxury more than anything. While it can get cold in East Tennessee, especially up in the mountains, this isn't Scandinavia or Quebec where the wearing of coats made from animal fur is much more acceptable and even desired when it can be sub-zero for weeks at a time.

If the OP has some anxiety about wearing fur coats in Tennessee, I suggest she go ahead and pack them away before moving down here, but on the same token don't be embarrassed to wear them in public. For what it's worth, the few self-professed vegans I knew in Knoxville were vegans in diet only; they still had leather goods and clothing, or, in the case of my carpool buddy, leather car upholstery because "leather is just so much more durable than cloth for car seats."
There is no such thing as "vegan in diet only." That is called a plant-based diet, not veganism. The Vegan Society’s definition of veganism is “way of living which seeks to exclude – as far as is possible and practicable – all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment." There may be some people who have converted to veganism who have goods that predate their enlightenment. There is no point destroying something for which an animal has already given its life. You either continue to use it, which would be difficult for many of us, or donate it to charity, then refrain from buying items like this in the future. Even for the fur coat owner, I would not suggest destroying the coat, but, if she is not planning to wear it, to donate it to a charity where someone can get some benefit from it.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:03 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
We have missed the important part - a fur coat is rarely needed in TN because it just doesn't get that cold that often. The odds of a formal event where a fur coat might be deemed appropriate falling on the same night as one of the super cold days is pretty slim. A nice wool coat will do fine.

A couple other points that have been touched on - the area just isn't very pretentious. You don't see people walking around town wearing furs because it isn't the style.

Also the culture is very live and let live. It's not like us to us to be confrontational on others' lifestyle choices.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:46 PM

196 posts, read 259,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post
I have no problem with you wearing fur. I find it weird that people are okay with hunters going out for bear, deer, and turkeys but get offended by this. I also don't have a problem with people being vegan. Who cares.

I think the issue is it's just not fashionable here or in general. My mom and her set used to wear it all the time back in the day (i'm in my 40's).
The issue with commercial fur vs hunting is that animals used by furriers are kept in really deplorable situations and often skinned alive. The meat isn't used, their bodies are just disposed of.
I worked for a famous Italian designer and fur company, it hurt my soul knowing how the fur was procured.

OP, as others said it's not really cold enough here to wear fur generally. If you're worried about sticking out then I'd ditch them. But if your concern is more based on people giving you a hard time for the moral aspects of fur then keep them. Most people won't say anything about it or judge you.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:52 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I got a raccoon coat in NE Ohio in the early 1990s, and it got plenty cold enough to wear it a lot. By the time I moved in 2010, I hadn’t worn it in 8 years or so because it was too hot. Or maybe just the dressier occasions didn’t coincide with the cold days. Needless to say, it’s been hanging for 10 years here in GA.

If yours has sentimental value, as mine does, take it and make the decision later.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:09 PM

377 posts, read 470,070 times
I see fur coats in Knoxville but mostly at fundraising galas. Are you into that sort of thing? There are many throughout the year.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:37 PM

51 posts, read 109,545 times
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville