U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2019, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,502 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at relocating to eastern TN but we have horses and she is very much into both trail riding and endurance events. We currently have two TN Walking Horses (TWH) she uses to trail ride and compete with. We love eastern TN and would like to be as close to the Smokies as possible. Can anyone suggest an area in eastern TN where we could look to purchase property, preferably a 5 acre minimum parcel? I prefer to build my own house but would definitely buy a house if it fit our criteria. NO HOA's are a must and we would not need to work as we would both be retired. Thanks in advance for your input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 03:33 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,221,325 times
Not sure how Far East you want get but you might care to investigate the Big South Fork, East Fork, and Norris Dam areas.

I am a retired life-long trail rider and have been riding TWH's for 29 years. My two remaining TWH's are 23-1/2 and coming 25; the coming 25 yr old has been with me since he was 2-1/2, and the 23+ fella since he was 11.

I have never ridden at BSF or EF but have never heard anything bad about either area.

The Big South Fork and East Fork Stables areas, near Jamestown, TN. East Fork area and Jamestown are in Fentress County, several hours east of Williamson County.

Beware Roane County and the remains of the coal ash spill, some years back.. I don't give a flip what anyone says, that is another "no way in Hades" area I would buy IF the land was below (and receiving) the waters that were affected by that coal ash spill --- I wouldn't drink that water and I sure wouldn't let my livestock drink water that may be affected---

Sometimes my IPad won't let me post links without losing what I already typed, so I will edit this post after I get the BSF and EF links

I lost the Big South Fork National Parks link, but you can also google it and look at the various areas with horse trails.

modcut

I can't recommend a good real estate agent as I am several hours further SW, in "The Cradle of Walking Horse Country".

Good luck to you on your searches

Last edited by Beretta; 02-03-2019 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: per the TOS, no real estate links allowed

Old 02-03-2019, 06:12 PM

15,846 posts, read 29,127,800 times
Well - Greene County is ok, but I know plenty of folks in South Knoxville with horses. Of course, the best place is Kentucky.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:29 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,221,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Well - Greene County is ok, but I know plenty of folks in South Knoxville with horses. Of course, the best place is Kentucky.
Agreed but the wife is big into trail riding and endurance events. To prepare a horse properly for an AERC or CTR one really needsa lot of the natural environment.

Maybe this link will help the OP better than looking at a real estate link, if his wife wants to be in close proximity to these events

https://www.seraonline.org

modcut

Last edited by Beretta; 02-03-2019 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: duplicate removed

Old 02-04-2019, 12:36 PM

499 posts, read 1,171,295 times
Look at the opening splash screen that says "East Tennessee Backroads" on this bluegrass music video (it's my YouTube channel).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcZliSAlqTM

The young lady is walking down the lane toward the entry gate of a neighbors farm (our mountainside is in the background). The neighbor, who lives on another property, had the 100 year old house removed but all the other barns and out buildings are still there. The property is said to be 32 acres and probably half of that is meadow and the land occupied by out-buildings and the old home site. A wonderful wide trout stream adjoins the property for several hundred yards . City water is on the property (a rare thing in this area) and internet is available from Charter Spectrum and CenturyLink DSL. TVA supply power for the regional electrical co-op. You can find the property by doing the usual Google search on "Realtor 37680".

This is about as far east as you can get in the great state of Tennessee. The Farm is about 5 miles south of the nearest access of the Virginia Creeper Trail (horses welcome) at Damascus, Virginia. The Doe Mountain Recreational trails ( https://www.doemountaintn.com/ ) point of entry is about 10 miles south at Mountain City. Our neighboring 64 acres actually adjoins the Cherokee National Forest Kettlefoot Bear Reserve (some might not consider that an asset). These properties are in the middle of Cherokee National Forest and there are a number of nearby horse trails and multi-use trails in the NF.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,670 times
Default Tennessee relocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodan623 View Post
My wife and I are looking at relocating to eastern TN but we have horses and she is very much into both trail riding and endurance events. We currently have two TN Walking Horses (TWH) she uses to trail ride and compete with. We love eastern TN and would like to be as close to the Smokies as possible. Can anyone suggest an area in eastern TN where we could look to purchase property, preferably a 5 acre minimum parcel? I prefer to build my own house but would definitely buy a house if it fit our criteria. NO HOA's are a must and we would not need to work as we would both be retired. Thanks in advance for your input!
Have you find the right place yet ? I am too looking into moving to Tennessee to retire with my Andurance horse sometimes in the future.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:41 PM

415 posts, read 1,388,396 times
There are a lot of options, depending on what else you need. The Big South Fork area is beautiful but is also quite remote. You will probably end up trailering to the Smokies, BSF, Cherokee NF , and other locations for long rides/conditioning, so it may be well worth considering your overall needs.

-How far away are you willing to be from basic shopping, healthcare, other services?
-What kind of budget for land are you working with? Some counties are cheaper than others .
-Be aware that access to equine services can vary quite a bit by location, or simply require a bit of travel.

I will comment that when we bought our farm in TN a decade ago, I had a real estate agent try to figure out what I meant by "horse property" She considered anything with something resembling a shed and some barb wire to be horse property. I did not. It was much easier to buy something without fencing/barns and to make it what we wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville