Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 01:24 AM
M&T M&T started this thread

4 posts, read 4,761 times

Advertisements

Hi -
I’ll be moving to the Knoxville area for a job this Oct. I’ll be moving with my boyfriend and 3 indoor cats. We plan on living in our RV until we can find the house of our dreams. I would like to find something no more then 40 miles from Knoxville. I would like at least 2, no more then 10 acres, single story home with a large barn or work shed. Need 2 car garage, high speed internet and good cell service. I currently have AT&T. Any suggestions on small rural towns that I should look into. Of course I want safe, friendly community. I’ll be working at the new Hobby Lobby opening in Knoxville and my boyfriend in a very talented handyman. He does everything except major electrical.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Terri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 06:48 AM

34,902 posts, read 31,006,838 times
Couple of things here.

Broadband internet access in truly rural areas is going to be very hit and miss. You could have a house that has broadband, and a few hundred yards away, another house may not have it. The "small cities" around Knoxville like Maryville, Oak Ridge, Lenoir City, etc., will be fine, but if you're interested in a rural property, you definitely need to check with the local ISP to make sure the particular address is serviced. You may also want to try and find a local contact at that ISP.

Rural cell phone service is similarly spotty. I use Verizon. I did 11-W from the east into Knoxville quite a few years ago fairly often. I'd lose service around Rutledge and not pick it up again until I-40. Anywhere along the interstates or the larger cities will be fine, but Verizon has, by far, the best regional coverage.

What is your budget? Rural areas tend to have fewer transplants, and generally higher rates of property crime and drug/domestic issues. These areas tend to be populated by locals whose families go back for quite awhile, and social circles are relatively closed. You don't need to be forty miles outside of Knoxville to have a couple acres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville