Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,357 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've been looking for somewhere else to live. I currently live in a small town in West Virginia. I've visited the Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg areas several times on vacation when I was younger and still remember it pretty well but obviously not well enough. I know this area is a tourist town and very crowded during "the season" but I work in the food service/restaurant so this would be good for me. Also, my husband is into the automotive scene and as far as I know this area is like a mecca for car enthusiasts. But here's the point of this post, I don't really want to live IN these cities but like on the outskirts or in a smaller town close enough for an easy commute. We're not rollin' in the dough either so somewhere that has affordable housing but not crap shacks either. Perhaps an apartment or long term rental even. We have no children so schools do not factor in the process. But all the usual stuff like low crime rate, non trashy place, whatever, etc., will factor in. I'll provide more info if needed. Thanks for any info you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 6,259 times
Question Any help yet?

I saw that you posted this question about relocating last month. My husband is also in the restaurant business as a manager. I am a nurse, so like you, neither one of us can go wrong as far as employment anywhere in the US. We too, are looking to relocate to the Pigeon Forge area. We went there on our anniversary a couple of years ago and fell in love with the area. The scenery for me, far outweighs the "seasonal" crowds. In my line of work, and his, people don't bother us to bad. LOL Just wondering what you may have found out since then, have you already moved?

Kristen

Old 05-18-2008, 09:54 AM

780 posts, read 1,757,510 times
Default Seymour would be perfect

I love Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge and thats why when I moved here from Fl seven mths ago we chose Seymour. Its on Hiwy 441 and its only about 15 miles from Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and there is a back way to drive that gets you there in about 15 min, all the locals use it. Seymour is quiet, peaceful, low crime and its only 12 miles from Knoxville. 5 miles from Walmart, lowes, Home Depot and other businesses. There is an apt complex here that has all the amenities and its townhomes not apts. I would check it out if I were you, I think you would be more than pleased.

A lot of the people that work in Pigeon Forge area live here, some of the singers that have theaters in Pigeon Forge live in Seymour, a lot of the restaurant people(cook from Hard Rock lives here) and several others since drive is nice and yet you are out of the touristy part.

Last edited by gailli; 05-18-2008 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: add

Old 05-18-2008, 11:54 AM

2,116 posts, read 6,779,646 times
The scenery outweighs the crowds until it takes you 15 minutes to drive 1 mile - then I believe you will be sick of it.

Sevierville or Kodak are the best towns to live in if you are going to work in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg. Yes, Seymour is a good choice too, but a little further away. Taking the back roads, Seymour is 45 minutes from Gatlinburg, 25 minutes to PF. If you live in Kodak, during heavy traffic congestion you will have to go thru Sevierville to get there. But if you want to be near Knoxville for any reason, Seymour is your best choice. Downtown Knox is 20 minutes from here; west Knox is 30-45 minutes.

Best of luck to you both, keep us posted.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Never, ever live in a tourist area. They are for vacations not for day-to-day living. Traffic, fuel and grocery costs, the transient nature of the area will do you in.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:47 PM

Default Seymour to town

I hate to disagree with you but the back way gets you to Pigeon Forge in 11-15 minutes, I know, I drive it all the time. I go to Pigeon Forge more than I go to Knoxville and never have I had a bad drive, yes, of course once you get to town the traffic in season is bad but then again, you get to know the back ways there too. There must be a reason the Smith Family and not to mention several others that work in Pigeon Forge live in Seymour. I guess I should clarify though that I live in Sevier County part of Seymour close to Boyds Creek Hiwy so its not as far to Pigeon Forge then if you live in the North end of Seymour or further East or West part. I take White School Road and its really a quick trip once you get used to the road. There is also a road to take from Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg without going on the Parkway too. There is also a new hospital being built in Sevierville not to mention all the Dr's that are putting in offices in Seymour and Satellite offices of the different Hospitals.

Last edited by gailli; 05-18-2008 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-18-2008, 09:50 PM

7,498 posts, read 17,102,683 times
There's a road from Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg that avoid the Parkway? Hmm, do tell.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:23 PM

Its a little complicated to tell and you better know the way if you take it or you can get lost, or at least think you are lost, yet you are just off the Parkway, lol. I wouldnt have known about it but a lady at the UPS store in Sevierville told me about it. Get out your map, its easier to map it out that way then someone explain it. Good luck

Old 05-19-2008, 06:32 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Gailli, I don't want to offend you. If you like living there, then that's all that matters. But you are retired, are you not? And you haven't lived there a long time, right?

I could be way off the mark, here, and probably I am, but someone that is spending there first year enjoying free shows seems more like they are on an extended vacation, than anything else.

I'm not sure who the The Smith Family is but I suspect they are performers. I would think that the local gas and grocery prices are not a big issue to them.

I have lived in tourist areas where I had to make a living wage and survive on overinflated prices. No thanks, but to each his own.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:29 AM

Seymour is not a tourist area, gas here is same as everywhere, so is groceries at Food City and Kroger. I am not advocating living in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg, I am referring to living in Seymour or surrounding areas, by no means would I advocate living in a tourist town. I do know though if you want to work in the restaurant area then Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg is the place to work, jobs are always available there in that field and the drive to there from Seymour is not bad. And yes, I have lived here 8 months and am retired but have been coming up here since I was a child so I am familiar with the the towns. I venture to say (as I'm told by many many people)that I know more about this area then a lot of people that have lived here for years, I researched this area for a year and know pretty much about it. I have informed people of things they didnt know about that lived here for a long time, still have people DM me asking me questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville