U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 08-01-2009, 06:59 AM

187 posts, read 310,691 times
Oddly, the harshest things I have heard about any sub-group of people here in Knoxville were the kinds of things people say about "rednecks"!

Unread 08-02-2009, 07:58 PM

18 posts, read 33,296 times
Knoxville is the melting pot of the south, inviting all whom would like to take part in the stirring to make our town(s) what they are. The farther into the woods you go, the weirder it gets. But, somewhere in this area is a place for everyone.

Unread 08-03-2009, 07:05 PM

185 posts, read 254,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockenale View Post
Knoxville is the melting pot of the south, inviting all whom would like to take part in the stirring to make our town(s) what they are. The farther into the woods you go, the weirder it gets. But, somewhere in this area is a place for everyone.
There's some truth to that. I actually had a realtor (a native Tennessean) warn me, "Stay out of the mountains". That gave me pause.

Unread 08-12-2009, 05:48 PM

18 posts, read 33,296 times
I live in the mountains... well, actually in between them and it is ok. But, I grew up in the mountains so I guess I fit right in!

Unread 08-14-2009, 09:44 AM

10 posts, read 28,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
West Knoxville is, as a collective whole, prejudiced? That's a new one. There are lots of transplants that come from all over the country and live in west Knoxville.

There are racists everywhere in this world. The ones around here seem to be out more in the country, but with it's suburban sprawl, west Knoxville is no longer "country."

Tennessee is not a liberal state, and Knoxville certainly leans conservative, but being a liberal shouldn't pose a problem. I'm one and they haven't run me out, yet.

First of all, I am appalled that your friends would suggest that you would be more "comfortable" in East Knoxville. How dare they? I'll tell you what, I've encountered more racists from the towns and farms of the midwest than anywhere else.

This is just the opinion of a white-Massachusetts liberal with lots of Knoxville friends of every hue.

Welcome to Knoxville!
I saw this post from way back while browsing and you seem like the perfect person to ask. My family and I are thinking of moving to TN and hope to live in an area near the Smoky Mountains. Just aesthetically and becuas we are outdoor types, Gatilinburg and Pigeon Forge are appealing. I understand your contacts are in Knoxville but I figure you may have some insight on this area. Of course we are concerned about schools etc. The other thing is that we are a mixed race family - my 8 year old son is black. I do not say African American becaus he is Polish. He lived long enough with prejudice before his mom and I met and he came here to the Chicago area. You have had some pretty nice things to say about Knoxville. Any insight on towns closer to the Smoky Mountains? I should mention that another reason for our looking there is that my wife is an esthetician (spa skin treatments) and they have many resort spas there. I also just read a warning here warning to "stay out of the mountains".

Unread 08-14-2009, 10:52 AM

21,432 posts, read 28,114,085 times
Where to start?

I've lived in a couple of vacation destinations. I think I've finally learned my lesson. Traffic, higher prices and transient people have done me in. So many go on vacation, become very happy, and decide that they want it to to last. It doesn't.

Also, there are not a lot of high-end resorts in that area. Some, but not a lot. The demographic isn't there.

We do have very nice spas in Knoxville, so if I were you and armed with that knowledge, I would look into this area. There are over 20 of them, with most of them in the West Knoxville area.

I have never lived in such an integrated area, and it seems more so than when I first moved here four years ago. It's hard to paint with a broad brush, but, in general, people are less open to new ideas in the rural areas.

My husband is from Chicago. Come on down and check us out.

Unread 08-15-2009, 12:03 PM

10 posts, read 28,001 times
Thanks very much for your help. We were hoping to hear that the tourism over in those towns was more high-end than it is. We also were thinking of taking advantage of the very low prices on some cabin homes in the mountains - I guess some of these used to be vacation rentals? But, we had an inkling that the communities there may not be open enough for our family. I think that, very delicately, you have given some weight to those concerns. When you say that people in the rural parts are less open to new ideas - I can kinda read between the lines. We have read other posts that have given us pause as well.

Well, Knoxville itself is not that long a trip to our outdoor activities in the Smoky Mountains and seems like a good place to live if the right neighborhood is found. School quality seems to vary greatly in quality from one neighborhood to another just like they do in most cities.

I did not mention earlier though that one of our other motivations for looking at TN is our perception that there is a lower cost of living there. This seems to be substantiated by some data but we are looking at it from Chicago - one of the most overpriced places to live. Any perspective on the cost of living issue? I know.... we may be aiming to high in looking for a kind of outdoor playground with good schools and low cost. There will have to be sacrifice somewhere, it seems. Being an hour or so from our outdoor activities is a compromise I am willing to make.

We will have to take a trip down there and really look around without our tourist eyes on if you know what I mean. No idea when as our vacations are all used up for the next 6 months but my sister is on a trip to Knoxville right now and doing some recon for us too.

Thanks again!

Another question then: Any recomendations on suburbs? Looking for openess to diversity, good schools, cost of living not too high - the typical stuff. So far we have heard some great stuff on Knoxville proper but I am not really a city living kind of guy. The last 28 years in Chicago is enough for a lifetime. Get me outta here!!!

Last edited by Beretta; 08-15-2009 at 12:31 PM..

Unread 08-15-2009, 09:14 PM

Knoxville is going to be a town to you. Chicago has 3 million people in it.

Knox County schools do not vary greatly, depending on where you live. As one of our regulars says, it's the same curriculum. He's a UT professor and see the students coming from various neighborhoods and school systems. Comparing test scores? That's different. Some schools are going to have more kids that don't achieve. Education starts at home and if the child comes from a family where it is not valued then he is not really motivated.

The great outdoors will be in your backyard. Ten minutes out of the city is becomes very rural. I live in North Knoxville and it takes me 40 minutes to get to Dollywood. It is not that far. And the Cumberlands are just to the north of us. Beautiful Norris Lake is about 20 minutes to here.

Of course cost of living is very low, compared to Chicago. Property taxes and insurance are next to nothing.

But please don't move here just because it is cheap. I moved here because the people are great and the area is beautiful. I suspect this is going to be a very big change that what you are use to, though. You need to visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawben View Post
Thanks very much for your help. We were hoping to hear that the tourism over in those towns was more high-end than it is. We also were thinking of taking advantage of the very low prices on some cabin homes in the mountains - I guess some of these used to be vacation rentals? But, we had an inkling that the communities there may not be open enough for our family. I think that, very delicately, you have given some weight to those concerns. When you say that people in the rural parts are less open to new ideas - I can kinda read between the lines. We have read other posts that have given us pause as well.

Well, Knoxville itself is not that long a trip to our outdoor activities in the Smoky Mountains and seems like a good place to live if the right neighborhood is found. School quality seems to vary greatly in quality from one neighborhood to another just like they do in most cities.

I did not mention earlier though that one of our other motivations for looking at TN is our perception that there is a lower cost of living there. This seems to be substantiated by some data but we are looking at it from Chicago - one of the most overpriced places to live. Any perspective on the cost of living issue? I know.... we may be aiming to high in looking for a kind of outdoor playground with good schools and low cost. There will have to be sacrifice somewhere, it seems. Being an hour or so from our outdoor activities is a compromise I am willing to make.

We will have to take a trip down there and really look around without our tourist eyes on if you know what I mean. No idea when as our vacations are all used up for the next 6 months but my sister is on a trip to Knoxville right now and doing some recon for us too.

Thanks again!

Another question then: Any recomendations on suburbs? Looking for openess to diversity, good schools, cost of living not too high - the typical stuff. So far we have heard some great stuff on Knoxville proper but I am not really a city living kind of guy. The last 28 years in Chicago is enough for a lifetime. Get me outta here!!!

Unread 09-08-2009, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 968 times
I too am a young black professional female getting ready to relocate to Knoxville in 3 weeks . This posting has been very helpful, but I'm surprised noone has mentioned the most popular night life and social network options available to young black professionals in Knoxville... kinda makes me fearful that there are none Please say it ain't so!!! Also, what exactly is considered "west" knoxville? I really would like to know as I will be apartment hunting there in a couple of days

Unread 09-08-2009, 06:41 PM

I'm 47 and married with a child. The thought of nightlife makes me exhausted.

I consider West Knoxville to be anything west of Knoxville, going down Kingston Pike, generally past Bearden. All of our areas are very nice, by the way.

I don't know about black social networking. Doesn't look like there is one.

Find a Meetup Group Near You! - Black Professionals Meetups - Knoxville

When we say the city is a melting pot, we mean that. I would suggest you look into joining a young professional group.

I have a LOT of black friends. People just hang out together according to their interests. Radical, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville