Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:19 PM

188 posts, read 567,206 times

Advertisements

It is sort of strange to direct venom at someone for the non-existence of a belief!

No matter how much I truly love, say, "Unicorns".... I just can't imagine disapproving of non-Unicorn believers.

Because of this, I have developed a rather large repertoire of prepared responses for people who ask me about my "church"...and who I guess aren't equipped to learn that I'm a non-believer. Nice and easy with these folks.

However, since I am now in my 40's... I have noticed that I am becoming less and less self-conscious about it, and am being a bit more forthright when asked.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:01 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
That happens. I'm 46 and I find that I just don't care what people think. It's a nice feeling, isn't it?

By the way, I've found that there is a good deal of "rationalists" around. A couple of Unitarian Universalist churches, too. I found out that the doctor that did my surgery, last year, is an atheist that belongs to a "rationalist" group. I was thrilled. I figured that he would do everything he could to make sure that I didn't die, since he wouldn't believe that I was going to "a better place."

Old 05-15-2008, 08:05 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Luckily, I have adopted the 'don't really care' attitude much younger than my forties. Guess that had something to do with the coming out scene.

I really liked the TN Valley UU church when I lived in Knoxville, hiknapster. There's one up here in the Tri-Cities that I know about (maybe more) but I've never taken the time to investigate it.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:36 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
I don't know, I would never have a clue as to what religion, sexual preference or what ever unless the person made a point to come across and tell me. Even at that, I would have no idea why someone would need to make sure they tell me what religion and sexual preference they are.

Of course there is the sterotypes a person can go off of and also get clues as to how they dress and conduct themselves, but past those, I see no reason as to why it should even be brought up, especially with strangers and co-workers.

Where I work no one has a clue what religion I am, I do not care what religion they are nor I care, what bothers me most is when people have to come out and make it a point to make sure everyone knows that they are (blank) religion and/or gay or straight or bi-sexual.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 PM

Those people seem to be few and far between, though. I mean, some people will rattle off loudly about their personal lives, sure. Where I work, there are people that I'm friends with that know more about me than just my standard cardboard work personality.

The people that get me are the ones that force me to divulge information. Like "What church do you go to / You should come to mine," or "do you have a girlfriend?"

Old 05-15-2008, 10:23 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Jeez, I live in the center of the "what church do you go to?" asking world. Seems no matter what, whether buying something at walgreens, the local market, getting some tailoring done or a haircut, they always ask my wife or I what church we go to.

I was selling some copper a few months ago and the guy was trying to convince me to go to his church. I am always polite with people but had to be a bit rude with this guy because he kept on and on about it, I just wanted to complete the sell.

What makes it worst is that there seems to be a few sect type churches here who order their members to be aggressive on getting new recruits and to avoid anyone who isn't. My wife found a few Russians here she thought she would get along with, but find out they are all here because some sect church goes around the ex-USSR and recruits them to come here to work and pay their dues, which to find out is like up to 20% of their income. Then they try recruiting other immigrants like my wife, but they will not talk to you if you do not want to join their church. So its either friends and church or strangers and avoidance.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:18 AM

38 posts, read 181,594 times
I love how these types of posts evolve into other conversations! Funny that this came up because I myself had actually checked out the Knoxville UU church website - and I may actually decide to start going there. This will be the first time, in a long time that I may be "a church goer." So, I'm glad to hear someone say that the UU church there was nice.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:49 AM

Oh! I didn't even remember you mentioning it. In fact, after I wrote it, I hoped that you wouldn't be offended. Thank goodness that you are not!

I love the Knoxville forum because of this. It starts out on one subject and veers completely off the garden path, much like Southern conversations.

I had looked into the UU that is in Seqouyah. I don't know much about the one that jabogitlu mentioned. UU looks like a great place to bring our little girl. Unfortunately, I am stuck working on Sunday mornings. I really wish I could visit.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:05 PM

Hiknapster, the UU I mentioned, TVUUC, is in Sequoyah! Is there another there, too?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:59 PM

Don't get old, jab. I'm just sayin'.

I was thinking that the church in Farragut had that name. Sorry, you are right. That's the one I was referring to. Good to know that you liked it. I would really love to go to that church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville