Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,171 times

Advertisements

Dear IndyChic;
I moved here recently from a major city and, I'm sorry to say, am continually shocked by the racial attitudes. It is a regular topic of conversation with transplants. If you're from a major city and used to more equal attitudes, it is a whole different beast here. But, it's nothing to worry about. From your initial post, you seem to be above that sort of barbaric thinking anyway, and Knoxville will be all the better for having a more conscious soul like you. I can't stand the way women are treated here either. (I had a friend from FL who received the statement, "you mean your daddy let you move here alone?" A southern girl may take that kind of condescending talk, but a northern girl will give you an ear full. Just as it should be. lol.) And, the way they throw words around like "East Knoxville" and "West Knoxville" can be confusing for someone from a megalopolis. When they say West Knoxville, I thought that included Turkey Creek; it does not. They mean the west side of downtown. I thought I lived near downtown but I was corrected; apparently I live in NE Knox. lol. As with every city, there are more earthy areas, more traditional areas, more affluent/snobby/racially bent areas. You will find what works for you. There is a disturbing and I think dangerous attitude to never change or question what you know or were raised with. More "established families" feel that what they do is right, true, more holy (this is the bible belt) than people from other areas. That obviously affects racial attitudes and has been a regular part of conversation with transplants as well. I had a doctor friend who said she lived here for 20 years before she was no longer considered an "outsider". Yes, a hysterical and disturbingly apropos reference from Toy Story. This area, in some ways, is very much like the 1950's, and not in a good way; also a regular topic of conversation. But, you will have a wonderful time here. There are many, many good things about this area. And, you said you wouldn't let any of the mostly isolated wierdness dampen your spirit anyway. That's good; it shouldn't. You will find a circle of people who are like-minded or kindred spirits. I know some of the professors at UT and can point you in good directions if you like. I could recount a list of hysterical and unsettling stories from my time here, but, a big part of life is what you make of it. Yes, this culture is filled with firmly entrenched contradictions and hypocritical ways of thinking, but there are also some wonderful people with fascinating lives and journies, a slower pace, and some room to breathe (if you don't worry about the unknown toxic gunk from Oakridge. lol.) You will thoroughly enjoy your time here...even though your daddy let you move here alone. lol! Congratulations on the wonderful opportunity...you obviously earned it!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:00 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,378,005 times
Hey Indychic, I believe I have answered you before, but just in case not, Knoxville like many posters have stated, will treat you with the same respect you give to others. We attend a local Church in our neighborhood, and race is certainly not an issue. In fact, we just had an African American couple in our home for Sunday dinner, along with some others. I do live in the West area, and have seen no problems. So be clear to know, you should have no problems, and would be welcomed in about any part of town. Good luck, and congrats on your schooling stips, and you will love the school.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:49 PM

611 posts, read 1,453,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlahBlah View Post
Dear IndyChic;
I moved here recently from a major city and, I'm sorry to say, am continually shocked by the racial attitudes. It is a regular topic of conversation with transplants. If you're from a major city and used to more equal attitudes, it is a whole different beast here.
Interesting. We must be interacting with completely different people.

Quote:
A southern girl may take that kind of condescending talk, but a northern girl will give you an ear full. Just as it should be. lol.
Yes, because girls from the South never stand up for themselves.

Quote:
There is a disturbing and I think dangerous attitude to never change or question what you know or were raised with.
This is a wide-sweeping generalization, to say the least. Just because you know two or three people with this attitude does not mean it applies to everybody in Knoxville. This sounds just a little bit ridiculous.

Quote:
I had a doctor friend who said she lived here for 20 years before she was no longer considered an "outsider". Yes, a hysterical and disturbingly apropos reference from Toy Story.
My family was warmly welcomed right from the start, and we've only been here for 3 1/2 years.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,104,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post

Yes, because girls from the South never stand up for themselves.

What???? Please tell me you are being facetious.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:12 PM

611 posts, read 1,453,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
What???? Please tell me you are being facetious.
Extremely.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 PM

7,507 posts, read 17,135,855 times
I find MsBlahBlah's post to be extremely wide of the mark of the Knoxville I know. Surrounding counties, definitely so, but Knoxville proper? Um, no. There are tens of thousands of people living there from all over the world. ???

Old 06-05-2009, 06:38 PM

What's with these posts in the past few days? Person signs up to write inflammatory message then disappears. Few days later same things happens.

The original post was written over a year ago. She moved here and loves it.

Some of the rural towns in East Tennessee can be REALLY strange and I try to stay out of them, but Knoxville is great. I have lots of black friends that live a happy life. No hassles.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:36 PM

41 posts, read 152,433 times
You sound like such a beautiful person and I really believe no matter where you move, you will be just fine. I don't even know you and I like you already. Best wishes to you and don't let the ignorance of others cause you to pass up any opportunities to improve your life. You are a credit to the HUMAN race.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:09 AM

6,337 posts, read 11,516,219 times
I'm guessing MsBBB is referring to entrenched African-American families. I'm not familiar enough to repute or agree with her.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I'm guessing MsBBB is referring to entrenched African-American families. I'm not familiar enough to repute or agree with her.
I am friends with or deal with black families that have roots in this area that go back for many generations. They are extremely welcoming and open to new ideas. I have a black family sitting on my patio, right now! Show up at a black church one Sunday morning and you'll see what I mean.

I have dealt with more than a few white people and families that somewhat have this attitude. "There is a disturbing and I think dangerous attitude to never change or question what you know or were raised with. More "established families" feel that what they do is right, true, more holy (this is the bible belt) than people from other areas."

But once again, they are really in the minority.

Most people, whether they are white, black, Asian or Hispanic, are very friendly and welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville