U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 01:07 PM

22,312 posts, read 43,871,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Most people anymore believe that most urban centers have higher crime, higher poverty, and thus worse schools and iffy housing values. Urban centers tend to vote left of center and if they go enough to the left, you start getting much more approvals for lower income housing and such. Of course it is left leaning political parties who usually benefit from lower income votes. People also associate large urban bureaucracies with higher taxes as well.

Depending on where my wife and I are at in five years, we'd likely be looking at an area closer to the mountains, but also within a handful of miles to the necessities (retail shopping). Of course housing costs will be a factor as well as where our jobs would be located.
Based on your post, I can tell that you are going down the wrong road and are in for a world of hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 03:36 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,919,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Do you live in KNoxville, or visited here. Your post makes very little sense to me, regarding KNoxville.
I've only driven through a few times. Next time we head to Gatlinburg I plan on driving around. My post wasn't specifically about Knoxville, but how many perceive urban centers, or I should say "old city limits" or something along those lines. There are major urban centers with much lower crime even though they have the same population as other cities. I've never looked into the Knoxville stats as there is no definitive for sure move to the area for us and any move is likely at least five years out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Good grief. You should choose another city if you aren't willing to give up your carefully cultivated preconceptions.

It would surprise you to discover that some of the wealthiest people (Republicans and democrats) live right downtown and in surrounding neighborhoods. The top rated magnet high is downtown, etc etc...
I'm not saying these are my "cultivated preconceptions." I guess I could do a search of any metro area over 500K and see what the actual old city/original city limits is like in terms of crime, poverty, political leanings, etc., but I don't have the time. My city fits what I wrote, many others do as well. I'm not saying all of larger urban clusters are like this, but I do believe that many people do believe this. It might be because of what they've seen in other areas they have lived in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Based on your post, I can tell that you are going down the wrong road and are in for a world of hurt.
Everything I wrote has basically happened in the city that my metro area grew from. Lots of people come to our CD forum and specifically ask about the suburbs, while a handful (usually single, childless, and younger) ask about living in the city. Our city (Indy) has some good spots and some rough spots. Poverty has grown over the decades, the politics of the city has moved left over the years. I've read this happening in other Midwestern cities as well. May or may not be something happening in all cities. I'm glad to hear Knoxville isn't like this.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:26 PM

16,949 posts, read 11,799,723 times
Indy317, east TN is a different ballgame from the Indy metro. I'm from east TN and spent three years in Indy. I know both well. I get your point and it applies fine to Indy. Knoxville has nowhere near the criminality blight etc. of inner city Indianapolis.

In east TN, most urban areas are doing much better than surrounding small towns and rural areas. The crime and problem pattern is opposite of Indy.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:16 AM

12 posts, read 4,377 times
I live in a rural area of Loudon county, near Melton Hill Dam, 15 mins from Farragut, which is essentially west Knoxville, and has the best shopping, & restaurants in the area. The Melton Hill Dam area is 5 minutes from Lenoir City, which has your basic shopping, like Wal-Mart, & Home Depot, along with several nice grocery stores, and other small business, and great restaurants. The school system is another big consideration for people with children. One of the best elementary schools is Highland Park, and Eaton's Elementary, and middle school. Another big consideration is property taxes. There's a BIG difference between counties in TN. Some of the more rural counties supplement their tax base with a "wheel tax". Which can make your yearly car registration cost upwards of $100 or more. Loudon county's registration fee is $25. If you decide to live in Knoxville, I suggest you live in the county to avoid the high property taxes inside the city. TN does not have a state income tax, so we have a 9.75%, or so, sales tax. And again, the rural counties without large industry, or higher priced homes, generally don't have the best schools, or offer as many conveniences as you may be accustomed to. There's lots to consider when making a big life change, and cost of living is just the starting place.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:46 AM

22,312 posts, read 43,871,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCINTN View Post
I live in a rural area of Loudon county, near Melton Hill Dam, 15 mins from Farragut, which is essentially west Knoxville, and has the best shopping, & restaurants in the area. The Melton Hill Dam area is 5 minutes from Lenoir City, which has your basic shopping, like Wal-Mart, & Home Depot, along with several nice grocery stores, and other small business, and great restaurants. The school system is another big consideration for people with children. One of the best elementary schools is Highland Park, and Eaton's Elementary, and middle school. Another big consideration is property taxes. There's a BIG difference between counties in TN. Some of the more rural counties supplement their tax base with a "wheel tax". Which can make your yearly car registration cost upwards of $100 or more. Loudon county's registration fee is $25. If you decide to live in Knoxville, I suggest you live in the county to avoid the high property taxes inside the city. TN does not have a state income tax, so we have a 9.75%, or so, sales tax. And again, the rural counties without large industry, or higher priced homes, generally don't have the best schools, or offer as many conveniences as you may be accustomed to. There's lots to consider when making a big life change, and cost of living is just the starting place.
I pay $76 to renew my vehicle, you pay $25. However, there are some better schools in Knox County so, to me, it's worth it. We also have excellent hospitals, including UT Medical. Our downtown area, with its excellent restaurants and seemingly constant festivals and events is a real draw. I don't live in the city core, but right on the county line, yet I'm 10 minutes from downtown.

Further, when you write "high property taxes" you want to step back and think about others perspectives. If they are coming from most other areas in the country, Knoxville taxes are really low.

Bear in mind that there is a benefit to the "higher" taxes in the city. With that comes free trash pick up, including bulk and brush pick up. It's a fantastic service. In Knox County, you have to subscribe to the rural metro fire and emergency medical services. City fire and ambulance service is already included for city dwellers. Finally, because people within the city boundaries rely on city emergency services, their homeowner insurance is cheaper.

There is a cutoff, where city taxes become more than the services rendered, and that depends on how much you pay for the house. Still, all in all, it's a good benefit and, again, taxes are not THAT high here in Knoxville.

I also want to point out to readers that Farragut is often considered part of West Knoxville. However, West Knoxville is really anywhere from Sequoyah Hills to Farragut. Just a clarification, I don't want anyone to think that Farragut is the only part of West Knoxville.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:02 PM

607 posts, read 1,183,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I'm not saying these are my "cultivated preconceptions." I guess I could do a search of any metro area over 500K and see what the actual old city/original city limits is like in terms of crime, poverty, political leanings, etc., but I don't have the time. My city fits what I wrote, many others do as well. I'm not saying all of larger urban clusters are like this, but I do believe that many people do believe this. It might be because of what they've seen in other areas they have lived in.
Let me rephrase what you wrote:

"I am too lazy to back my biased assertions up with actual facts, so I'm going to say they're based on my own observations and call it good enough."

Seriously, if you're going to paint with such a broad brush, you need a lot more than "well my city is like this and so are many others." Lame attempt.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:11 AM

64 posts, read 24,113 times
You're spot on about taxes. Taxes in Knoxville are extremely low, especially for what you're getting. I think people immediately see higher taxes and get worked up. They forget to factor in the services those tax dollars are put towards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I pay $76 to renew my vehicle, you pay $25. However, there are some better schools in Knox County so, to me, it's worth it. We also have excellent hospitals, including UT Medical. Our downtown area, with its excellent restaurants and seemingly constant festivals and events is a real draw. I don't live in the city core, but right on the county line, yet I'm 10 minutes from downtown.

Further, when you write "high property taxes" you want to step back and think about others perspectives. If they are coming from most other areas in the country, Knoxville taxes are really low.

Bear in mind that there is a benefit to the "higher" taxes in the city. With that comes free trash pick up, including bulk and brush pick up. It's a fantastic service. In Knox County, you have to subscribe to the rural metro fire and emergency medical services. City fire and ambulance service is already included for city dwellers. Finally, because people within the city boundaries rely on city emergency services, their homeowner insurance is cheaper.

There is a cutoff, where city taxes become more than the services rendered, and that depends on how much you pay for the house. Still, all in all, it's a good benefit and, again, taxes are not THAT high here in Knoxville.

I also want to point out to readers that Farragut is often considered part of West Knoxville. However, West Knoxville is really anywhere from Sequoyah Hills to Farragut. Just a clarification, I don't want anyone to think that Farragut is the only part of West Knoxville.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:26 AM

16,949 posts, read 11,799,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Let me rephrase what you wrote:

"I am too lazy to back my biased assertions up with actual facts, so I'm going to say they're based on my own observations and call it good enough."

Seriously, if you're going to paint with such a broad brush, you need a lot more than "well my city is like this and so are many others." Lame attempt.
He's from Indy. I lived there for years myself. The situation he's describing is exactly how it is there, and what he is describing is probably more common throughout the country than the urban areas being nicer and safer, like here in east TN. Many people think urban=crime=poor=ghetto and country=quaint=safe.

The surrounding suburbs and "satellite cities" of Knoxville are perfectly fine. The city is mostly fine. Urban centers like Indy often have an island of crime in the urban core surrounding by a sea of safe suburbs. East Tennessee has decently safe urban cores, safe suburban areas, and rural communities are more dysfunctional.

I live in Kingsport. Crime here is well above national averages, but I would much rather live in core Kingsport than some drug-addled area of rural Hawkins or Cocke counties.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:30 PM

607 posts, read 1,183,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
He's from Indy. I lived there for years myself. The situation he's describing is exactly how it is there, and what he is describing is probably more common throughout the country than the urban areas being nicer and safer, like here in east TN. Many people think urban=crime=poor=ghetto and country=quaint=safe.
Which further proves my point, though I'm not sure that's what you're trying to do.

If you're too lazy to look at facts, and instead choose to use your own experiences as "evidence" for how other places must be, you're doing it wrong. It's well known that plenty of cities around the country suffer from increased levels of crime, but common sense should dictate that making assumptions is always dangerous.

Sorry. I just don't want people spreading misguided nonsense about Knoxville.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:57 PM

13,142 posts, read 6,799,500 times
Try Seymour, A 20 minute drive to downtown Knoxville, Old town Maryville or down town Sevierviile if you want an old city area to visit. Then the same distance to almost any store you need including a nice Mall in Maryville. About 50 minutes to the West Town Mall in Knoxville.

Property taxes in Sevier County? 1.6% on 1/4 the value of the house. Best around for sure and low car registration fees.

Hilly area, easy drive to the Mountains and many places to visit. I live in Seymour and visited the whole area several times and saw it was a really nice area with minimal traffic issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville