U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-13-2008, 12:28 PM

4 posts, read 25,789 times
Default Surrounding Suburbs?

Hello!

My family and I are planning to move to the Knoxville area in the next year or so and are at a loss as to where exactly to move . . . sound familiar? We are interested in a middle class/small town atmosphere but within driving distance of some major stores. We grew up in a small town in the northwest suburbs of Chicago on a river. It has since exploded in to a "well populated" area with little to no farm land left. We are looking to raise our children in the small town/close knit community like we were raised. Are there any specific communities outside Knoxville like this?

Thank you so much for your time! We are very excited about starting the relocation process!!!

Lolantrix
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 12:58 PM

83 posts, read 206,043 times
I used to live in Chicago. Moved to FL at 14 and then to TN 6 months ago. We ended up in Jefferson County. I would so recommend Sevier County. You could live in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and be in the heart of all the attractions and a lot of traffic, or you could live in Kodak, Sevierville or Seymour and be out of the traffic and close to the interstate but near all the attractions. We wanted to be close enough to drive to the mall in one directions and the mountains in another but be far enough away from the traffic and congestion! I like where I live Im on the Sevier jefferson line. We get snow here when it falls. Not much but enough. What are your ages? I think Knoxville stuff costs more and its more of a city like Chicago just smaller. But depending on gas prices and how far your work is coudl make an important choice. I live in jefferson like I said and my hubby works in Oak Ridge just next to knoxville and with the interstate closed he drives 45 minutes each way every day. Thats very costly on gas!

Old 05-13-2008, 01:05 PM

4 posts, read 25,789 times
Thank you so much for your reply!! I am 35, my husband is 30, and our kids are 3 years old and 8 months old. We are thinking we need to be close enough to a city for job purposes. I am a teacher and my husband is in juvenile probations. I have been to Gatlinburg and LOVE the mountains! I've looked on this website at Sevierville but was concerned about the crime rate?

Old 05-13-2008, 01:40 PM

5,527 posts, read 9,022,750 times
Personally, I would never live in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge or (probably) Sevierville. There are a lot of transient workers in the tourism industry and millions of tourists there each year (I think JMT or someone posted stats that showed PF/Gatlinburg received 30,000 visitors nightly?), which accounts for the crime rate.

There are other nice areas of Sevier County (Seymour). I would say try to get a rough idea of where you'll be working, because Knoxville is really rather big (nowhere like Chicago, though ). For instance, if you end up moving to Strawberry Plains, Seymour, or Dandridge, but get a job in Oak Ridge or Maryville, that will be a *very long* commute.

In Knox County itself, the area that is still pretty rural and has very quick access to the city (downtown/UT especially) is South Knox, along the Chapman Highway. It's also a quick route into Sevierville so whenever you get a hankering to go to Dollywood, you'll be right there!

I think that wherever hiknapster lives is fairly rural, too, but I forget where that is. Somewhere N/NW? Maybe she can help you out there.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:34 PM

9,016 posts, read 21,152,849 times
I'm with jabogitlu, there's no way I would ever want to live in that Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg mess. The crime rate looks alarmingly high, but I wouldn't worry about it. The crime rate is per capita, meaning per resident. They don't take into consideration all the out of town visitors who are there on any given day which definitely skews the statistics.

Lolantrix, you didn't say anything about price range. There are suburbs with all kinds of housing around Knoxville in just about every price range. How about schools? How far are you willing to drive to go to work or to do your shopping?

Not knowing anything else about you, I agree with jabogitlu (again!) that Seymour is a nice area. You're only 10-15 minutes from downtown Knoxville, 10-15 minutes from Sevierville, 10-15 minutes from Maryville, it's in a beautiful area, and housing isn't too terribly expensive there although it's more expensive than other rural areas around here.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:55 PM

783 posts, read 1,150,150 times
Default Seymour

Seymour is very nice, there are varying rates for rentals here, there are 2 brand new homes, not even finished yet that are 4/2 with 2 car garage for lease for $1200 a month. There is Smoky Crossing Townhomes for rent also which is real nice with lots of amenities. Seymour is quiet and friendly yet 12 miles to Sevierville or Knoxville. You get all the benefits of free shows if you live in the Sevier County part of Seymour too which is a big benefit.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:03 PM

21,637 posts, read 31,006,169 times
I live in Heiskell. It's off of I-75. It's about 20 minutes to downtown, if that. It's not a town, but a community of about 4,000. That's what they say, anyway. It seems more like 400! I think cows and horses make up the difference.

Anyway, the town center consists of a fire department, post office and general store. There's room for one more store, but nothing ever comes of it. It was once a prayer group, or something, and a computer repair store that opened and closed, immediately.

So the point is, there are lots of communities around Knoxville, but no actual "towns." The exception is Maryville. That's an actual town, though it is rather large. Seymour is a town, but it doesn't look like one. However, it is a nice area. Just don't expect a town hall. Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are tourist circuses. I wouldn't advise anyone to live there.

You haven't mentioned what kind of house you are looking for. Do you want an old house, a "monument to me" or something in between?

I've probably thoroughly confused you.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:32 PM

83 posts, read 206,043 times
I agree. I probably woudl not live in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. There is just too much traffic especially in the summer BUT again there are so many back roads that you dont have to deal with the traffic much. Crime I dont know. I have not heard of much crime. If you are talking about break ins and civilian arrests I guess thats possble but murder, rape, etc.. I never hear it on the news. Sevierville is another town in Sevier County. Thats pretty much out of the traffic and where I was suggesting you look at. Its whats close but far away. Seymour I have never been too and dont even know where it is. Something I still have to check out. But whatever your choice be, dont let any one opinion sway you. You have to see for yourself.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:45 PM

783 posts, read 1,150,150 times
Default Seymour

Seymour is on Hiwy 441 between Sevierville and Knoxville(441 is also Chapman Highway) Seymour is halfway between the two cities. Its a great town, low crime too.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 15,269 times
I live 'near' strawberry plains - but still in Knox County. It is 10 minutes to downtown and the mall and about 20 - 25 minutes to west knoxville. I like this area because we are only 2 exits from Sevierville but still close to Knoxville. It has a few restaraunts, a lot of banks and a few grocery stores. It is building up though. Also close to Jefferson county also. I like seymour too but there wasn't much land there being sold. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville