U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-26-2008, 09:24 PM

8,772 posts, read 19,608,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanbob View Post
If you want the best schools, then your in luck, as all our Knox co schools are rated in the top 100 catg for state, and Oak Ridge is one of the tops.
OK I have to ask, what do you mean that all of Knox County schools are rated in the top 100 for the state? According to whom? While I think there are some good schools in Knox County, I don't believe for a minute that every single one of the schools in Knox County is rated in the top 100 for the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-27-2008, 09:44 AM

21,466 posts, read 28,332,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
OK I have to ask, what do you mean that all of Knox County schools are rated in the top 100 for the state? According to whom? While I think there are some good schools in Knox County, I don't believe for a minute that every single one of the schools in Knox County is rated in the top 100 for the state.
Yeah, I was going to let it go, but you are right. There are a lot of people that read this forum and might just believe it.

Unread 05-27-2008, 08:56 PM

23 posts, read 35,843 times
I live and work in Knoxville. The hype has everyone scared and it's sad that people think nationwide means veryone and every business. Things have slowed in Knoxville, but the growth and building continues. I just hired two folks myself for some remodeling work. As a CNA you will not have a problem with employment and as with anything, hard work and persistence goes a long way. Knoxville's a super place to live, work, and send your kids to school. Most schools are adequate, some better than others of course. Mine go to Ball Camp Elementary and Karns Middle and we have no serious complaints. Much of a child's education is dependent on the parent's involvement with the child and the school. Move on down, you will have plenty of people willing to get you going in the right direction.

Unread 05-29-2008, 06:56 PM

2,199 posts, read 4,661,573 times
I can't imagine not being able to find work if you're in the construction or building-oriented trades. I've had to get on long waiting lists to get my pond rebuilt, my fence extended, my trees trimmed, my landscaping done and my house painted. I've been waiting EIGHT WEEKS for the pond guy and six weeks for the landscaper. The tree trimmer can't get to me until July. These people are booked solid, and my neighbors are having just as much trouble finding people. We could probably keep a good handyman working all the time.

If you are good at what you do and show up when you say you will, you should be able to find work easily in Knoxville. People will recommend you to their friends and you can build a business on word-of-mouth. Everyone's worried about a slowdown, but the tradespeople I've talked to say business is booming. So who knows?

Unread 05-31-2008, 06:17 AM

21,164 posts, read 15,297,848 times
See news articles about Construction in TN. The growth is expected in nonresidential construction:

The Expositor - Sparta Tennessee > Archives > News > Construction jobs up despite other declines

Chattanooga Times Free Press | Home starts in Hamilton County are lowest in a decade

Unread 05-31-2008, 08:11 AM

14 posts, read 32,330 times
well if you get to east knoxville drop me a line I went to work for a trucking company who also does grading and excavating we generally have all sorts of jobs availabe at any given time

Unread 05-31-2008, 12:52 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,247,908 times
For starters, Lowe's (in Alcoa) has Help Wanted signs posted on its doors.

Unread 05-31-2008, 02:53 PM

8,772 posts, read 19,608,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1945 View Post
For starters, Lowe's (in Alcoa) has Help Wanted signs posted on its doors.
You're right, I've seen Help Wanted signs at a bunch of stores lately, too. I've seen them in East Knoxville at Target, Lowe's, and Home Depot. If I were to ever go to Wal-Mart I might see some there, too. But I'm a Target man.

Unread 05-31-2008, 06:25 PM

7 posts, read 13,578 times
We love Maryville, and there still seems to be a lot of new houses/condos going up here, so I'd guess that there are jobs in that field. We're renovating a fixer-upper right now and are on a dozen different waiting lists for contractors, so they are certainly staying busy.

The schools here are great, and the housing prices are about average for the area. If you're looking to buy, you can still get a great house here for a reasonable price. Rent for houses is pretty high in the city limits, but there are several very nice apartment complexes.

I feel like Maryville is in the ideal location. It's less than 30 minutes from downtown Knoxville, 30 minutes from Great Smoky mountain national park, and around an hour from Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. We've been saving vacation money living here because we truly don't want to go far!

Good luck with your move!

Unread 05-31-2008, 06:35 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,667,842 times
Maryville is 30 minutes from the Smokies - how? if you take 321? That's a tough route.
I think Seymour is the ideal location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville