Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,495 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating to Knoxville and am interested in suggestions on buying housing. Kids are in college so schools system is not a concern. where could I get the most for my money in $180-$205k price range?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy06 View Post
I may be relocating to Knoxville and am interested in suggestions on buying housing. Kids are in college so schools system is not a concern. where could I get the most for my money in $180-$205k price range?

Thanks
Are you talking about the CITY of Knoxville? Or somewhere in Knox County? Or in a surrounding county? How far from Knoxville are you willing to live, and in what part of Knoxville will you be working?

And do you want a new house? A fixer-upper? Land?

I like the Fountain City neighborhood in Knoxville proper. Older homes (1890s - 1950s).

Rocky Hill is another nice neighborhood in Knoxville proper. Homes are Brady Bunch era, 1970s.

In Knox County outside of Knoxville city, check Carter, Halls and Powell.

Outside of Knox County: Seymour, Loudon, Kingston, Dandridge, Norris.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:45 AM

125 posts, read 414,321 times
I've been working with a couple of buyers this past week in the 180-205 price range. In my professional opinion the best ones we've seen are in (no particular order) west Knoxville including Farragut, north Knoxville, and east Knox County.

If you're looking for a more cosmopolitan atmosphere, west Knoxville & Farragut are probably your best choices.

Looking for more laid back and easy going; north Knoxville and east Knox County are the best bets.

One piece of advice I give to all buyers is to buy your next house with selling it in mind.

I know you said schools were not important to you but they may well be very important to whomever you need to sell it to at some point down the road.

Best to buy in a quality school system even if the kids are grown up and gone because it has an effect on both value and resale.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:03 PM

7 posts, read 75,902 times
In my opinion, the best bang for your buck in that price range would be North/ NorthEast Knoxville.

If you look in the Corryton area, there is a lot of beautiful undeveloped farmland that sells at a good price. You could build your home the way you want it for $180-$205K; and still get mountain views.

There are also a number of new developments in that area in that price range if you don't want to go through the trouble of building.

There is a real sense of community that you don't find in some of the Knoxville suburbs. The people are educated and endearing.

Although you are out of the way, you are still only 10 minutes from the interstate, which brings dining, shopping and easy access to Sevier County, Asheville and Downtown Knoxville.

Also, by heading North instead of West, you miss the congestion. The West Knoxville area is lovely, and there is always plenty to do; but the traffic is definitely a setback.

Best of luck on your move!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:12 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,389,314 times
Hey Jazzy, like jim stated, it all depends on what your looking for, and we spent the last several days, all over Ft. City, and Fairmont, Tazewell Pike, and agree with JMT. West will have a better resale down the road, but best bang for buck, could be anywhere, as many are available due to such a large supply in the market, and lots of shortsales, and sadly forecl. Good luck, and you will find, each area has its good things, and drawbacks, so again just need to take a few hours to drive around, to see what gives you that cozy feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville