Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:14 AM

811 posts, read 2,010,254 times

Advertisements

Really? BB&T here in Maryland is AWFUL! We switched to Bank of AMerica after my husband closed his 20+ yr account with BB&T-we got so sick of all the problems. We noticed when we went to Knoxville that we didnt see any BOA's...but most of our stuff is on direct deposit--it would only be my customer's checks from AVON that we would need a branch location for...so we'll see
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 11:25 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
We do a lot of banking with USAA Credit Union (for military personnel and families). One neat thing that they offer is that we can scan checks in and they deposit them without ever touching the actual check! I am not sure if any local TN banks offer this but it is very convenient to make a deposit from anywhere we have a scanner. Technology is amazing!

Old 05-26-2008, 12:51 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
I would not recommend First Tennessee. I've been with them for years and have had a lot of problems with them. I'd move to another bank but have so many things on direct deposit I keep putting it off.
They've nickled and dimed me to death. I've dealt with several of the branches around Knoxville and they seem to have a "who cares" attitude toward customer service.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:45 PM

188 posts, read 567,328 times
OK, maybe I'll avoid First Tennessee. I do all of my banking online with an internet bank, but want to keep a "brick and mortar" bank with a small deposit in case I need more cash than I can get from an ATM.

So I guess I'll find a free checking account with Regions or Suntrust....maybe BOA

Old 05-26-2008, 02:41 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
We like our local bank, which has just been bought out by SunTrust. A friend of mine works for Regions and she is very unhappy with recent changes in their policies and their system. She feels that they will be turning many customers off as a result.

I like to know these personal choices and problems in advance to avoid shopping around until you land with a good bank.

I appreciate all of your comments. On line banking is a good way to go with a well-respected bank, but as bfskinner pointed out, you are limited to your ATM withdrawals if you don't have a physical branch near you.

Plus, most banks anymore are surcharging way too much for withdrawals from their ATM if you are not one of their customers. One local bank here has a 10% surcharge to use their ATMs!

Old 05-26-2008, 02:50 PM

I hardly use ATM's anymore. I usually get extra cash everytime I make a purchase with my debit card. If I need more cash than the store limit I halve my purchases and do two transactions.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I hardly use ATM's anymore. I usually get extra cash everytime I make a purchase with my debit card. If I need more cash than the store limit I halve my purchases and do two transactions.
Yep. That's the trick.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:04 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
We've only been here a short while so haven't had enough time to have problems but so far First Tennessee seems ok. We have also been doing a lot of on line banking but want a local bricks and mortar for at least some of our savings.

SMG do you know if "family" includes parents for USAA? DS is in the AF ROTC and has been using the bank for several years and has had nothing but praise for the company.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
SMG do you know if "family" includes parents for USAA? DS is in the AF ROTC and has been using the bank for several years and has had nothing but praise for the company.
USAA, if I am not mistaken, only allows downline family members. Give them a call though; you never know! For a local credit union try ORNL. I am sure you would qualify for membership as they are very flexible.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:22 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
I think a lot of finding a good bank has to do with the people that work in the branch you visit.

I banked with BOA in CA for years, but left them after mess up after mess up (on their part.

Went with Union Planters (now Regions) when we moved here in 94. I went with them because, 1. they were open on Saturdays, and 2. they actually stayed open on a Sat for me 2 hours so I could open an account (my flight was coming in after they closed). I found their customer service fantastic.

Then the people started leaving, and the great customer service started dwindling, then the mess up's started. The REALLY BIG ONE was the last straw.

Been with BB&T for several years, and find their customer service wonderful. In fact, it was one of the relationship bankers that suggested our college age daughter apply for a part time job with them. She has been with them a year now and loves working there.

That said, I think that banks are a lot like cellular providers. I was with Sprint, could not get a signal when my friend ALWAYS had one with his Verizon. I switched to Verizon (still happy with them).

Point being, things change all the time. Sprint installed or upgraded cell towers and equipment to provide better coverage. Meanwhile my friends with AT&T have some signal issues. Next year it might be Cingular.

The bank that drove my wife to tears 20 years ago, is probably a great place to bank now. The extreme mess ups that happened 10 years ago at XYZ bank, maybe haven't happened in 6 years.

I guess if I was trying to find a new bank, I would visit a few, talk to the relationship banker, find out what kind of deals they offer, then decide. Just because I have good luck at ABC does not mean you will, just the same as Mr. Greenjeans may love XYZ but they could not find $xxK of my money for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville