Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 03:40 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times

Advertisements

Thanks all. Since I arrived three weeks ago, I've been to the Kroger and Grocery Outlet just down the road from me on Chapman (yikes to both), the Wally World further down the road, and the Publix in town near the UT campus. Publix is the prettiest grocery store I've ever seen, but their prices are ridiculous. So, I'm gonna be doing the Wally World. It's conducive to my "one stop shopping" MO and the prices can't be beat. Topic over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2023, 07:41 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson865 View Post
Thanks all. Since I arrived three weeks ago, I've been to the Kroger and Grocery Outlet just down the road from me on Chapman (yikes to both), the Wally World further down the road, and the Publix in town near the UT campus. Publix is the prettiest grocery store I've ever seen, but their prices are ridiculous. So, I'm gonna be doing the Wally World. It's conducive to my "one stop shopping" MO and the prices can't be beat. Topic over!
One thing that I've noticed, and maybe this is an issue to my local area, is that Walmart generally has way more healthy and organic options for delivery or store pickup, even fresh food, through Walmart+ than they have on the shelves.

You could easily subscribe to Walmart+ and save money for this kind of thing vs. at shopping at a mainline grocer.

Old 03-02-2023, 06:14 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Can you put some perspective on the comments 'their prices are ridiculous?'
for instance, how much is a gallon of milk?

Old 03-03-2023, 03:11 AM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times
I think a lot of commodities are expensive right now - meat, eggs, milk, etc. - no matter where you buy them.

Old 03-04-2023, 10:28 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Quote:
I'm just curious, what did you find that was "Yikes" about Kroger? I don't shop at one (none near my home) but the ones I've been in seemed okay.

Old 03-04-2023, 04:36 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,306,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'm just curious, what did you find that was "Yikes" about Kroger? I don't shop at one (none near my home) but the ones I've been in seemed okay.
Some Kroger are fine. Others are in need of remodeling. Newer stores may have more departments for Starbucks. a better deli/bakery produce selection. Kroger milk $3.79-$4.19. Name brand Purity may be $6.29.

Publix milk $3.99 all variety while Purity is $6.29, Not sure what name brand you may have in Knoxville. Not sure if there is a Borden or another national brand.

Old 03-05-2023, 08:10 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Can you put some perspective on the comments 'their prices are ridiculous?'
for instance, how much is a gallon of milk?
Here's the issue with Publix.

Food City, Ingles, and Kroger, for the most part, are not as upmarket as Publix is to start. I'm not sure about Food Lion as they aren't anywhere I normally shop now.

The first three stores also have a discount card. The price without discount card is probably at or slightly below Publix, but the discounted price is usually a good bit below Publix. This makes many items cheaper at the other stores than Publix.

Publix does usually offer better straight sales, BOGO free, and other things like that, but it doesn't amount to the savings of the carded stores. Kroger is larger, usually has the best selection, and is most affordable. Ingles is higher quality than Food City, but a bit more expensive. Food City is like a regional Food Lion.

I'll stand by my comment earlier that the cheapest option, for organic and healthier foods, is almost always going to be some combo of Costco/Walmart+ for mainline organic and healthy groceries, with Publix/Ingles/Whole Foods/local retailers filling in gaps as needed.

Old 03-06-2023, 04:35 PM

186 posts, read 283,088 times
Quote:
That's probably one of the oldest Krogers in town. It definitely feels more cramped due to space limit. You should go check out the newer "Kroger Marketplace" stores out in Powell, Cedar Bluff, Farragut, etc. You'd be amazed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville