U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2008, 11:56 AM

188 posts, read 340,741 times
Creeksitter,
Tell us how this carpenter works out.

I might have some work for him as well. $25 sounds fair.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:31 AM

2,199 posts, read 4,949,081 times
I definitely have work for a handyman-- several day's worth and ongoing. So if the guy needs work, I have it! I haven't had a lot of luck with Craigslist-- seems to be a lot of people who want the work, but don't have the skills or experience.

And, yes, creeksitter, CA was more expensive housingwise, but much cheaper laborwise. It wasn't just the illegals, it was the competition. There were lots of options and this kept prices down. You could always find quality people to do good work. Housekeepers, gardeners, handymen, tailors/seamstresses and just about everybody else charged half of the rates here. Knoxville is the most expensive city I've ever lived in, from a service standpoint. Tradespeople here charge more than college grads.

A guy quoted me $250 yesterday to put in a ceiling fan-- and I already have the fan. The cost for the same job in CA-- $50. The time involved: about an hour. The gardeners want $30/hr or more to spread mulch, not including the cost of the mulch or the delivery. I understand that people can charge whatever they want, but wow!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:27 PM

12,503 posts, read 17,914,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfskinnerpunk View Post
Perhaps we can start a thread regarding high quality shops and services in Knoxville.

In a previous thread, I have suggested Scott's Deli, The Bike Zoo, and TVA Bicycles in an earlier thread as places that do what they do very well.

Today, I went to a very hip vintage furniture and "stuff" store called "Living Vintage" in S. Knoxville ... way south on Chapman Hwy.. about a mile or so south of the Home Depot and Wal-Mart. GREAT prices and a small but nice selection of cool stuff. We went there because of a recent write up in the Knoxville Sentinel.

For myself, I'd like to learn about good quality handyman services, mechanics, tire shops, dentists, vets, and medical clinics.

This thread can be something like an Angie's List with a bit more randomness!
Any other local tried and true service businesses'?

I love my dentist and his office, Dr Mark Evans on Executive Park Drive in Knoxville, Matlock Tire is a good tire shop (and more), Chem Dry of Blount County has been great at cleaning our carpets. East TN Medical Group has a great after hours clinic in Alcoa. There is a pet hospital that is open 24 hours in Alcoa on Calderwood that is great. All area vets participate and pull shifts. I will try to find their name. Oh, I forgot to add (keep in mind we are in Maryville) that the best heating and A/C guy around is Stanley Best and Co. We have used others and Stanley is the best, no pun intended! LOL

Next.......

Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 PM

12,503 posts, read 17,914,151 times
I have tried to re-direct this thread but I have deleted more off topic posts than are posted here. This thread, unfortunately, isn't going to work. If someone has an inquiry as to best ______ (plumber, dentist, tire shop, etc.) please start a new thread and the posters will chime in per topic on their tried and true experiences. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville