U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 05:46 AM

605 posts, read 1,568,531 times

Advertisements

The good news? Someone bought our house yesterday and we close on July 15. The problem? We're going to start in an apartment and then look for a house. If possible, we want an apartment near where we would buy our house so my first grade daughter would not have to change schools and my son's preschool would not be really far from the new house. Apartments aren't listed like houses, so I can't tell where they are. My new job is at Fulton High School so we are looking for houses in the Powell and Halls area. Here are my questions:
1) What apartments are in the Halls/Powell areas (safe, kid-friendly environments) and are also near good schools?
2)Are there other areas close to Fulton High besides Powell and Halls? We have 2 small kids, so we need a safe area. I'm a teacher, so we're looking for a house in the 150's.

I'm stuck visiting my parents until June 30th and will have 2 weeks to find a place and pack. Any help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 5 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,031,864 times
You're stuck visiting your parents. How funny!

The answer is: Fountain City. It's closer to Fulton, has a great school system, has lots of apartment complexes, very affordable home prices, lovely area complete with beautiful park, duckpond, library, and you would be neighbors with me, GoodbyeHollywood and Indychic! Can't beat that with a stick!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:00 AM

812 posts, read 1,315,518 times
Hey, just living close to those fine people would be enough of a sales pitch for me
Since I am not there yet myself, I don't have a lot of advice except that we LOVE the Fountain City area--we spent the most time there when house-hunting last time around!

Good luck with your move!!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 AM

9,089 posts, read 21,727,571 times
Fountain City! Fountain City! Not only is it a great area with very nice neighborhoods and homes in your price range, it's closer to Fulton HS than either Halls or Powell (a LOT closer than Powell).

There are several large apartment complexes along Cedar Lane, I'm sorry I don't remember the names of any of them. And in Fountain City proper there are a bunch of small apartment complexes on Jacksboro Pike and some on Holbrook Drive and Bernhurst Drive. I'd suggest looking at the News Sentinel's web site (knoxnews.com : Knoxville, Tennessee, News, Business, Homes, Jobs, Cars & Information) for classified ads or checking out craigslist.

Fountain City is VERY family friendly, and they loooove their schools (Fountain City ES, Sterchi ES, Gresham MS, Central HS).

To give you an example of what life is like in Fountain City, I have friends who live on Fenwood. Around the corner from their house is a convenience store. The convenience store still lets customers keep a tab and pay their bill at the end of the month. I think that's pretty neat.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 AM

24 posts, read 53,636 times
I don't have any advice for you either.

We're moving to Oak Ridge on July 15th from Michigan....YAY!

Good luck and have a safe trip!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:51 AM

812 posts, read 1,315,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
To give you an example of what life is like in Fountain City, I have friends who live on Fenwood. Around the corner from their house is a convenience store. The convenience store still lets customers keep a tab and pay their bill at the end of the month. I think that's pretty neat.
That is almost unheard of these days. How nice!

Old 06-19-2008, 12:30 PM

Visit Fountain City Park. There are young and old, all colors, all decent people, out enjoying the beautiful area. The first time I saw that, it sealed the deal. I was buying there. I walked away with tears in my eyes determined that my child will grow up in that environment.

I spent last weekend going through the Gresham Middle School and Central High School websites. I just couldn't believe that my child will go to those schools.

I hope I am not going overboard. I so excited about my new house. If this is heavy-handed, I apologize.

Good luck wherever you choose.

Last edited by hiknapster; 06-19-2008 at 01:28 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 01:16 PM

38 posts, read 116,022 times
*cough, cough* Fountain City. *cough, cough* But, I think that may have been mentioned.

Welcome, neighbor...

Old 06-19-2008, 01:25 PM

9,089 posts, read 21,727,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Visit Fountain City Park. There are young and old, all colors, all decent people, out enjoying the beautiful area. The first time I saw that, it sealed the deal. I was buying there. I walked away with tears in my eyes determined that my child will grow up in that environment.

I spent last weekend going through the Gresham Middle School and Fulton High School websites. I just couldn't believe that my child will go to those schools.

I hope I am not going overboard. I so excited about my new house. If this is heavy-handed, I apologize.

Good luck wherever you choose.
Your neighborhood is zoned for Fulton HS instead of Central HS? Wow that's kind of surprising. Either way, I think your daughter will have good schools. I love how Gresham MS looks. I mean they actually have a steeple on it so that from a distance Gresham looks like the churches around it.

And you are right on about Fountain City Park!

Old 06-19-2008, 01:30 PM

Oh my gosh, I meant Central. Can you notice that I am a bit hysterical, today?

I went and changed it. Thanks, JMT. I don't want to spread misinformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville