Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:14 AM

3,253 posts, read 9,158,990 times

Advertisements

We've been in Oak Ridge for over a year after having lived in cities both large and small. Large being around Los Angeles and small being Belvile, NC (pop 281) and I've treated both with healthy respect. I haven't been able to NOT leave my doors unlocked since the 60's. Just the cost of our society.

But here, people are nice, most are transplants from coming in for jobs with ORNL. Or been here so long because they were here when the city was part of the government. IF I want decent shopping other than grocery stores, I go into Knoxville, which thanks to the Pellissippi Parkway, it not a bad drive down at all.

EVERY city/town has crime, some have more than others. IF you want the lowest crime in Knoxville Metro, move to Union County but there is also NOTHING to do there, as the largest town there is Plainview with 2,065 people.

Anderson County has a rating of 4/5 for crime with the national average of 4/4.

And as usual, if the person who knows about these places complains about them, how do they know so much? I know nothing of drug houses, etc but then again I don't go looking for the bad parts of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 02:10 AM

37,754 posts, read 40,844,087 times
Suggest you read, online, the Oak Ridger's annual supplement "Living Here." It's 28 pages long. Just hit "next page" to page through it and hover your cursor over the type to enlarge it. It's updated every August.

Oak Ridger | Special Sections

I'm suprised more local businesses and the government don't give the link to their new hires from out of town. Especially, invaluable are all of the clubs and organizations in town that are listed in it along with contact information. On page 22 is a list of all of the contacts for electric, water, telephone, sewer and garbage.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:11 AM

30 posts, read 76,826 times
Thanks for all the posts everyone, I feel more reassured its not as bad as I pictured it.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 AM

119 posts, read 383,407 times
We moved to Oak Ridge in April 2007. No, there isn't a lot of shopping....but we drive into Knoxville for that (which seriously isn't that far away). Or the outlets in Sevierville or just over an hour away. So...that really isn't a big deal. We have found that most areas are safe here...sure there are a couple less savory areas, but don't all towns have those? My husband and I both work in Oak Ridge and our son goes to school here...and we really like it as far as that goes. So definitely just take it with a grain of salt. If you want to be someplace with more shopping or things to do then I would consider West Knoxville, otherwise come look around Oak Ridge and see what you think. Good luck!

Old 03-05-2011, 01:47 PM

321 posts, read 1,210,351 times
Default Oak Ridge

In looking for potential homes online, anticipating a move to the Knoxville area in the next year, I've noticed a lot of homes in the Oak Ridge area that are in the 150000 range and below. Why are there so many available there and not throughout the greater Knox area? Is there a problem with Oak Ridge in general, or is there some other reason so many homes are listed there?

Old 03-05-2011, 04:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,104,290 times
It depends on where you are looking in Knoxville. There are lots of houses under $150,000, except in certain areas, just like any city. Seqouyah, Bearden, some of West Knoxville and Farragut will have less in that price range. Those areas are tonier, with mansions, or have newer homes.

What's the difference areas? Not much. The West Knoxville and Farragut areas have more newer subdivisions and more transplants, too, although that is not everywhere. There are a lot of shopping malls, too, but with that comes more traffic. Not horrible traffic but more. The school system is the same throughout Knoxville. And Oak Ridge has a great school system. It's a matter of perception.

I live in the north Knoxville area, in Fountain City, and love it. Our daughter goes to a top-notch school. There are more locals in my area.

I suggest to people that they stick close to where they work.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:51 AM

62 posts, read 232,440 times
Oak Ridge has a lot of housing from WW2 era and is a bit more remote from Knoxville and the shopping mecca of Turkey Creek, hence cheaper housing.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,282,006 times
Oak Ridge is kind of different from the rest of Knoxville. You can tell folks from Oak Ridge apart just by the way they look at you.

j/k

But seriously...it seems like a lot of residents in the area have a huge amount of pride in Oak Ridge.

Yes, it is a city that hardly existed until WWII and the Manhattan Project (which I am proud to say, my great uncle was heavily involved in). The city swelled to a population of more than 70,000 during the war (the 5th largest city in the state, I believe), but after the war ended and some of the plants closed or downsized, the population has shrank to under 30,000. The large amount of land and existing housing stock may be a reason that housing prices seem favorable there compared to similar towns in the area (just speculating).

In my opinion, there is no real problem with Oak Ridge, besides the funky taste of the water (again, kidding). It's got more name recognition and identity than just about anywhere outside of Knoxville, Chattanooga, and the Tri Cities in East Tennessee. The history isn't as old, but nevertheless as important as anywhere in the state. Would it be a great place to live? Many residents will tell you "yes," but it would be a good idea to explore the area yourself and see what you think.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 AM

321 posts, read 1,210,351 times
Thank you Nashvols! We plan on exploring the area early this coming autumn.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,104,290 times
Actually Oak Ridge did not exist before 1942. Several small communities did, though. Sadly, some of the residents were originally displaced by the Great Smokys National Park and Roosevelt's New Deal construction of Norris Dam. Everyone that lived in these tiny towns were given two to six weeks to leave.

Oak Ridge is something you either like or you don't. Most of the people that moved there do so because of employment. There are a lot of government jobs in the area.

If you are a lover of historical homes, though, it will probably not be for you. Lots of boxy-looking homes that were hastily built by the government and architecturally labelled "A," "B" and so on. Lots of new homes, too, though.

There is a nice community center and the schools are good. Very little decent shopping but Turkey Creek is only about 20 minutes away. There are locals, though they mostly reside in Clinton. There are far too many transplants for my taste, but there are an awful lot of happy people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville