U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-07-2008, 08:41 PM

59 posts, read 126,505 times
Default Anyone ever use Jobs By Fax?

I'm trying to relocate to Knoxville or Nashville before I get laid off by my employer, Countrywide, after the buyout by Bank of America. There is an internet job-hunting service that I fould called Jobs by Fax. For a fee, they will fax a copy of your resume directly to hundreds of employers/managers within a designated industry/geographic area with you deciding the size of the businesses to target, the location, etc.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this company, used it themselves or know of anyone who has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-08-2008, 07:31 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,672,126 times
What is the fee? When I was heavy-duty searching for a job, utilizing various websites, I never heard of that one (I was not against paying for assistance either). My personal opinion is that this company cannot help you. I do not understand what they are doing that you can't do yourself for free. The key is to make yourself stand out from the hundreds of others applying for the same job you want. You're better off paying for resume help (like 1-Day Resume in Knoxville).

Unread 07-08-2008, 07:57 PM

The whole idea of this service is to fax your resume to hundreds of managers within an industry. They get the numbers through purchasing data bases. It would obviously be impossible for a person to obtain hundreds of fax numbers, then sit and fax a resume hundreds of times, unless you have some type of fax system on your computer. Obtaining all the fax numbers is what would stop you from doing this yourself.

Anyway, you can read about it for yourself on their site. I was just wondering if anyone had used them, especially in attempting to obtain interviews or contacts when trying to relocate from another state.

Unread 07-08-2008, 08:00 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,672,126 times
I don't see how they are going to locate hundreds of companies in one field in only 2 towns. I told you what the key is, in this job market,Moderator cut: unnecessary comment

Last edited by mbmouse; 07-08-2008 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: cut out rude comment

Unread 07-08-2008, 09:09 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,218,247 times
If I were going to pay a fee to have someone help me find a job, I am not sure I would go that route for one reason. I NEVER read unsolicited faxes. Can't tell you how many I have thrown away from CW, BofA, Silver Hill etc. Now a days paper is to easy to be thrown in the trash. Digital (emails etc) can be saved easier and re read when that info is needed.
My suggestion to you would be to find a good employment agency or head hunter in the field and then the fee is used for more productive, pin pointed (to those actually hiring!) and less scattered process.
The other thought I have here is there are a whole lot of folks in your position now looking for the same jobs and not near as many lenders who are hiring. Sit down with that employment agency/head hunter and find out what skills you obtained while at CW can be utilized in another field.
Just some of my rambling thoughts.

Unread 07-09-2008, 06:34 PM

mbmouse..Excellent suggestions, thanks. My only problem is that I live in St. Petersburg and I'm trying to relocate. I'm finding out (as have many others) that companies won't respond to someone who lives in another area. I guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way..get on the phone and set up some interviews, then make a road trip.

Unread 01-20-2009, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 14,761 times
postiveoutlook- have you tried to call them? I would... I looked at their website and found the number 800-309-9188. Email can be tricky with all the nonsense spam blockers out there.

Unread 04-24-2009, 06:40 AM

391 posts, read 775,148 times
Lefty,

As mbmouse said, there's a lot of people right now shuffling around in this industry. My initial thought (after being a corporate manager for years before real estate and weeding through 100's of resumes), is that making yourself standout is the key, as mentioned by NJDevil. Sure, there is a lot of competition, but one thing that speaks for itself is numbers and results. If you've got a lot of experience and a proven track record of bringing in deals, get your name directly to the decision makers, and as soon as possible. They've got a lot of resumes coming in. If you've closed $500,00/month, $1,000,000/month, or more, focus on that consistency. If you don't have a professional resume, get one. I feel this would be better spent money than mass fax campaigns. Detail your proven sales record, average closes per month, ability to adapt, willingness to market realtors, and some good references. I would seek out the top 15 or so lenders, and really focus on getting the right information into the right hands. Countrywide obviously had a lot of clout before, and people will know you come from a structured environment. My advice, drop the jobsbyfax, get a detailed, results driven, in depth profesional resume, and track down contact numbers for some good local lenders, brokers, and banks. Include a cover letter, and personalize each one to a specific contact name and company(I always HATED to whom it may concern). We hired 10 times as many people that actually sought us out as opposed to those that relied on us to contact them. We wanted someone that was calling us for an appointment, not sitting and waiting for us to call them. As I mentioned, it is a flooded market, but lenders are hiring, especially with the high volume of refi's. Money never lies, so if you've got the ability and experience in doing some good bsuiness get them on the phone and let them know why you should be hired. People take personal initiative over blanket job searching much more seriously. Lastly, what was your sepecialty? Refi's, purchases, realtor relationships, builder relationships, commercial? Let them know!! Best of luck.....my two cents....

Oh yeah, and be willing to look at different pay options, be it draw comission, comission based, salary plus, whatever the case.

Unread 05-03-2009, 07:29 AM

846 posts, read 732,366 times
I have used this service on 2 occassions. Once in Columbus, Ohio. I sent about 1100 faxes and got 20plus calls for jobs. Once in Birmingham, AL. I sent about 800 faxes and got tons of calls. So many I couldn't answer them all. I had 3 job offers within 4 days.

Think I spent about 60 dollars total. I'm fixin' to start looking for a job again in the next month or so. I am certainly using this service again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville