U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:12 AM

38 posts, read 42,494 times
We just moved a week ago from Sarasota, Fl. Fountain City is awesome!!! We just rented a 1938 house that is wonderful. The neighbors are friendly, fixer uppers seems to be able to be purchased at a very good price. Wonderful diversity. I love 4th & Gill, but it is way pricey and not sure about the schools. Hope you give FC a try. It is an awesome place!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 AM

21,643 posts, read 31,114,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksurvivor View Post
We just moved a week ago from Sarasota, Fl. Fountain City is awesome!!! We just rented a 1938 house that is wonderful. The neighbors are friendly, fixer uppers seems to be able to be purchased at a very good price. Wonderful diversity. I love 4th & Gill, but it is way pricey and not sure about the schools. Hope you give FC a try. It is an awesome place!!!!
Bingo. I agree with absolutely all of the above. Every word. Oh, except I am sure about the schools in Fourth and Gill and that is why we live in our area.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:48 AM

3,323 posts, read 3,733,205 times
"Wonderful diversity."

I'd love to hear more about this. See I have this image of FC as being overwhelmingly white, middle class (except one pocket of poverty), middle of the road to conservative, etc. But my perceptions were formed 20 + years ago.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
"Wonderful diversity."

I'd love to hear more about this. See I have this image of FC as being overwhelmingly white, middle class (except one pocket of poverty), middle of the road to conservative, etc. But my perceptions were formed 20 + years ago.
Really? Who knows if Fountain City would be a place that the OP would like. Maybe not. But I think the schools are much better than 37917 or south Knoxville, so that would be a big plus. I don't know if it is cutting edge, and quite frankly, I don't think that's what I want at this point in my life, anyway.

But I urge you to visit Fountain City park. I think you would be surprised.

And where is this pocket of poverty that someone else also mentioned? I don't doubt it exists, but I don't know where it is.

My area is very "Leave it to Beaver" with modest to beautiful homes, but even there, it is diverse.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:38 AM

46 posts, read 143,536 times
I don't need "cutting edge" per se. Just looking for acceptance. We are wanting a place where our neighbors will not judge us before they have gotten to know us. I know you get that everywhere, and for the most part there are always going to be people that have preconceived notions about who you are. We are not thugs, we are not undereducated trash, we don't do drugs. Heck, the hubby does not even drink, and I do maybe once every 6 months. We're not looking for "trendy" just a neighborhood with character where people take pride in their surroundings and there is a real sense of community. One of the reasons I left Florida was because we were tired of the "it's all about me" attitude. We want a variety of people who are genuine. Soccer moms, Hillbillies, artists, Nerds, people with stories to tell, and maybe even a crazy cat lady. But, personal safety is a must.
I like what I have seen of Fountain City so far, and I like what I have heard. We just want a place with soul, where we won't feel stifled or stagnant. I don't think it is an unreasonable request. I know it takes time to adjust and find your niche. Chattanooga is a beautiful city. And it does have a lot to offer some. But we are just not the right fit for each other. And now after talking to people in the Knoxville area, it just seems more like what we want. I wish we had gone there instead from the git go. Hopefully it will all work out and things will fall into place like they are supposed to.
Anyone want to send money?

Old 07-23-2008, 09:44 AM

Okay. This is sounding better and better. You definitely need to check out Fountain City.

If it makes you feel better, we moved here from Florida, too. Fort Myers. I bet I will never find a place that I hate more. Really.

The funny part is we REALLY wanted to move to Chatt. Didn't like the job scene, so we landed here.

I spent the first three years being dismayed, because we lived in the outskirts of Knox County. Didn't like that at all. Terrible neighborhood and not indicative of Knoxville as a whole.

Moving to Fountain City was the best thing that I have ever done, other than having our daughter, buying this house...

Oh, you know what I mean.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh, you know what I mean.
10-4 good buddy.
We are going to have to come up one of these weekends here soon.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:51 AM

3,323 posts, read 3,733,205 times
I think of the "pocket of poverty" as the area around Balsam drive. Though more accurately it should be "pocket of not quite as well off as the rest of FC". I haven't been through for 10 years. It could be all fixed up now for all I'd know.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:03 PM

9,026 posts, read 21,216,406 times
There are a few iffy trailer parks near Fountain City along Rifle Range and Myatt roads. Maybe that's what people mean when they say there are pockets of poverty around Fountain City?

At any rate, the more I read about what the OP is looking for, the more I want to beam her and her family directly into Fountain City!

I don't live in FC, but I go to church there and hang out with friends who live there, and I absolutely, positively adore the place. It's certainly got its ultra conservative element, but heck the place was originally founded as a church camp in the 1800s, and this is East Tennessee after all. I also have seen a fare share of Hispanics and African Americans (and even some African Africans) in Fountain City. As hik said, hang out at Fountain City Park for a while and you'll see it all.

Have lunch at Litton's and I promise you the waitress will call you "sweetie" and "hon" whether you look like a Baptist minister or a Goth overlord. One of my best buddies is a soccer dad, covered in tattoos, and his wife used to shave her head bald. They live in Fountain City in a beeeeautiful old home on a street where neighbors keep their doors unlocked and have neighborhood block parties all summer long. Another buddy of mine lives on the other side of Fountain City but in a similar neighborhood. It's just that kind of place.

Hurry up and come up here for a visit!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
At any rate, the more I read about what the OP is looking for, the more I want to beam her and her family directly into Fountain City!

Hurry up and come up here for a visit!
You let me know when you get that beam working!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville