Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 09:36 PM

10 posts, read 26,591 times

Advertisements

Many thanks to all who replied to my posts a few weeks ago regarding rental housing in Knoxville. I just thought I would follow up to say that I ended up renting a two-bedroom townhouse in South Knoxville, and I am (so far) very pleased with where I ended up.

I originally thought I would like to live in Bearden, and I still am fond of that neighborhood, but I was disappointed with all of the individual places for rent that I happened to see there. Also, on the north side of Kingston Pike, a number of places were close enough to I-40 that there was significant highway noise.

I cannot believe how nice my place is in South Knox, for the price -- it is far nicer than any other complex I saw on the north side of the river for the same price range, and although my apartment itself has no view, the surrounding area is gorgeous -- it is maybe a five-minute drive through beautiful countryside to the IJAMS Nature Center. Even better for me, it is a five-minute drive from downtown and a ten-minute drive to UT. I can't believe, actually, that South Knox is cheaper than West Knox. In a larger metro area like San Francisco or Boston, a neighborhood so close to downtown but so quiet and serene, if it existed at all, would cost mega-bucks. I've started to think of South Knox as Sequoyah Hills for middle-class people. The one negative is that I understand there is little or no bus service, so driving or biking will be necessary for my commute.

A few other things:

- I didn't drive that much through South Knox overall, so maybe I just ended up in a nice part of it -- I really don't know. Or maybe I will be rudely awakened after I move in. But I have really liked what I've seen so far.

- I spent a lot of time researching apartments online in advance, and I now think that was mostly a waste of time. I'm beginning to think that the complexes that invest in a large online presence with the "find-an-apartment" web sites probably do that because they have to... the quality places probably fill up quickly without needing to advertise much. Craigslist is useful for finding smaller complexes or places owned by individuals, but those places tend to be taken fast (if they are nice) once the ad is posted. So although online research is good for finding out about neighborhoods, as far as finding actual places (for renting), there is probably no substitute for doing a local, in-person search. In the end I did find my place through craigslist -- the ad was posted one evening, and I was there and signed a lease the next morning.

3) Having said all that, for someone who needed to sign a lease without actually visiting Knoxville, the following link might be helpful (scroll down):
http://ft.ornl.gov/ft-visitors.html (broken link)

Thanks again to everyone who posted replies before... and if anyone wants to chime in with additional information or thoughts about South Knox, please do!

I move for good week after next. See you all soon -- so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 10:14 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,790,516 times
Welcome to Knoxville! I'm glad you found a place that you like!

I agree with you, South Knoxville is a hidden jewel around here. I really think the only reason it's so cheap is because it lacks some of the creature comforts of the rest of Knoxville (Target, Wal-Mart, stuff like that). And, right or wrong, I think South Knoxville has a reputation of being a bit rough around the edges. I happen to like neighborhoods like that, but I guess I'm in the minority.

At any rate, welcome! I hope you'll keep us posted on how you're settling in.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:24 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,569,530 times
That's good to hear professor, I'll actually be renting in Old North Knox for a few months but will be looking at a house to purchase in South Knox. Good luck with everything and the new school year, don't forget to catch a ball game, Go Vols!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:11 AM

6,337 posts, read 11,520,220 times
Ssshhh, be quiet, we want to keep it serene.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:39 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,376,233 times
I like South Knoxville, too. I own some land there and had planned to build.

I think one of the biggest problems with South Knoxville is the schools. Families simply do not want their kids in that school district and private school is a big expense. But some of the neighborhoods are lovely.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:29 AM

The schools are not horrible, but they aren't the best either.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,569,530 times
hollywood and creeksitter, what is wrong with the public schools in South Knox?

Old 07-26-2008, 04:01 PM

811 posts, read 2,003,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
hollywood and creeksitter, what is wrong with the public schools in South Knox?

I would like to hear the thoughts on this as well...we haven't even considered the area AT ALL because everyone has warned u how horrible the schools are...and I am just not willing to compromise. If we could afford private school that may be one thing, but we certainly cannot. So by the schoold being "bad"...I would like to hear in what aspect?

NewToKnox---Welcome to Knoxville!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 04:49 PM

10 posts, read 26,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Ssshhh, be quiet, we want to keep it serene.
Yeah, I guess that is a worry! I probably shouldn't make too much noise over a good thing.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:45 PM

Yeah, I don't understand the perception that the schools are bad. There are plenty of educated & upper middle class folks who send their kids to the public schools. There are also "at-risk" kids that bring the scores down. Maybe it's the economic integration that outsiders object to. The middle school did have a problem with discipline a few years back but I understand that's been solved by a new principal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: