Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 02:22 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times

Advertisements

What is the IMAX like in Knoxville? Is it like a real IMAX with a huge screen and 3-D or is it just a smaller watered down version? We are getting one here in Greenville, SC like you guys have in an existing theater in fall 2008 and I would like to know what it's going to be like. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 04:41 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
It's huge, it's awesome but I have never seen or heard of 3D there. I am certainly not the authority on the Pinnacle Movie Theater so hopefully someone else will chime in; after all we should have some Regal corporate types stopping by the forum. You are going to love it!!!

Old 07-30-2008, 05:52 PM

611 posts, read 1,459,047 times
I went and saw "Journey to the Center of the Earth" near the end of June when Brendan Fraser & Co. came to town - it was in 3D, but I'm not sure about IMAX.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:16 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,190 times
We saw the U2 in 3D concert at the Pinnacle IMAX, it was incredible. I thought I could touch Bono and Edge, I was in heaven feeling so close to them. Yes, it was a religious experience.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:19 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
We saw the U2 in 3D concert at the Pinnacle IMAX, it was incredible. I thought I could touch Bono and Edge, I was in heaven feeling so close to them. Yes, it was a religious experience.
Oh yes, I forgot about that over there!!! I <3 U2. LOL on religious experience; cute!!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:23 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
So, the IMAX is in 3-D then? Did anybody see the Dark Knight on it? When there are no IMAX movies to show, they just a regular movie on it right? Is the screen as big as other IMAX theaters like in Charlotte or Atlanta? Sorry for all the questions. Just interested in how ours will be.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:29 PM
H10

89 posts, read 308,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
So, the IMAX is in 3-D then? Did anybody see the Dark Knight on it? When there are no IMAX movies to show, they just a regular movie on it right? Is the screen as big as other IMAX theaters like in Charlotte or Atlanta? Sorry for all the questions. Just interested in how ours will be.
I saw the Dark Knight there. It was great! Not 3D, but the major action sequences were shot in IMAX format, which means higher resolution, and a rounded shape, which wouldn't be visible on a normal screen. Dark Knight at the Pinnacle (Knoxville IMAX) was by far the best movie experience I've ever had.

As for screen size, maybe I'm crazy, but I think real IMAX cinemas have significantly larger screens. I lived in South FL for 8-years, and went to the IMAX there, and I remember the screen being gigantic, dwarfing any movie theature screen. Not so with the Pinnacle.

In my mind:
Fort Lauderdale, FL IMAX- makes you feel ant sized, it is so big.

Pinnacle, Knoxville- Think of the biggest movie theature screen you've seen at a normal cinema, make it 30% bigger, there it is.

And as stated above, it does offer 3-D movies.

And my 2-cents: I think it is smarter to do the IMAX in this manner, because I could see traditional IMAX theaters as loss-leaders, where incorporating it into a normal theater will prevent such a problem. I wouldn't mind a bigger screen, but...

It is expensive! The Dark Knight at the Pinnacle was like $14 for one ticket! It was worth it, but compared to the norm, $14 is a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville