Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,025,792 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anyone that sells firewood? I would probably only need 1/2 cord, but if they will only sell per cord that would be fine, too. The owner cleaned both fireplaces before he died, according to the neighbors.

I have no where to start with this. I'm hoping someone knows someone.

Interesting aside:

Looked at my electric bill online, today, and it's $158 for electric, water and sewer. It's a 1,700 square foot house, with lights on all the time, because some of us (okay, Lauren and me) are afraid of the dark. Pretty good, huh?

Does anyone know if I should keep that humidistat on all the time? Do I need it in the summer. I just shut if off a couple of days ago, but I wonder if I should run it all the time? There's a wall control, but where the heck is it located.) I know, barking spider, I should have had you look at this house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 04:14 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,630,633 times
That bill seems high.
Whether you should run the humidistat or not depends on what it's doing and where it's set. And I wouldn't take the word of the neighbors on the fireplaces. Get them checked. Birds, squirrels, raccoons can all build nests in a couple of months.
First, take the energy audit on KUB's website.
Energy Audit
They'll send you a nifty little kit for free after you do.
Call a heating and cooling company and have them come out and inspect the system and explain to you how to operate it. Humidistats can be good if it's removing water in the summer and adding it in the winter, but you need to know how to set it properly.
City Heating and Air does a routine check for less than $100 and you could easily save that on your electric bill in a couple of months if you're doing something wrong or something is set wrong.
Replace all your lightbulbs with compact flourescents if you haven't already. They really save and last a long time.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:27 PM

12 posts, read 44,616 times
^^^ That bill doesn't really seem high to me. What do you think a bill should be for a 1700 sq ft. house for water, sewer, electric?

Old 08-10-2008, 05:19 PM

Okay. Barking Spider has been DMing me and has helped me understand the humidistat, which gemkeeper tried to explain, about a month ago, with a link, but apparently, I am obtuse.

The electric meter runs like CRAZY. I shut that darn humidistat off and the meter slowed to a crawl.

It looks like Kub's energy audit is if you have lived at the same place for awhile? I don't know if that will work for me? Knoxgarden, I know that you know I lot of great resources from KUB!

I think I am going with shutting down that humidistat. It may not even be attached to anything and it is costing money.

This is not because we can't afford to pay for the electric. I paid the mortgage right up to October 1, a bit ago, and we are doing well, but heck, if I can save some money and turn down the humidistat off, if I don't need it, I may save $50 a month, or more!

So does anyone know where I can find firewood? I use to use it alot in Mass. I had two fireplaces in that big, beautiful home that I rented, and I can't wait to use them.

Knoxgarden, I will check the fireplaces out before I use them. But great call. A nest could easily be built.

By the way, we have two beautiful ceiling fans in the family room. They should come to great use too, I think.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:27 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,021,356 times
Hik, check craigs list for your area. Sometimes people will give wood away to get rid of it. I'll DM ya a link also....

Fireplace liners could also be cracked, be careful and have them inspected by a pro. When I moved here a chimney sweep came out and he was here 10 years previous and knew the liner had cracked and installed a stainless steel liner at that time !!!!

Last edited by Bones; 08-10-2008 at 05:37 PM..

Old 08-10-2008, 06:44 PM

I'll check all that. No one buys cords of wood, locally? Don't a lot of you have fireplaces?

And thanks to all of the helpful hints.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:10 PM

811 posts, read 2,000,843 times
Before I read ALL the posts, I went running out of the room telling Shane "Hik has a $158 electric/water/sewer bill, and our houses are close to the same size--WOO HOO!!" LOL--That is like HEAVEN for us--back in MD we lived in a 1150 SF apt and our elec bill alone was usually over $200 and then we had a seperate water bill for a little over $30 a month. We still havent gotten a bill here yet... But if we can get to $150 (or even less maybe?) that would be SO awesome! We love our flourescent bulbs--every one will be changed over when we move! And, Barking Spider did our inspection, FYI-and a wonderful job at that.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:17 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,021,356 times
Hic, here's my stash from last winter and I've been adding to it since..... I'll burn close to 4 chords and have close to 7 chords now...

Old 08-10-2008, 09:37 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,630,633 times
I think you can ask for the consumption history am address by filling out the form. Worth a shot.

Request an Energy Consumption Report

Old 08-10-2008, 10:35 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,327,276 times
Hik - there will be people selling firewood right and left when it gets a little cooler. Hang in there a little longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville