Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:28 PM

2,116 posts, read 6,778,347 times

Advertisements

Hubby got a red-light ticket and he's gonna fight it. If anyone else got one recently and wants to join him, please DM me. He's got 2 weeks. He feels it is extortion for the offense not to go on your license or your record if you simply pay the fee. One thing he found out is that it's not legal for them to mail you a ticket; it has to be handed to you. He talked to a Knoxville lawyer's office today and they claim nothing about these cameras are legal.

City and county gov't will just keep doing whatever they want until people rise up and defend their rights. I know ya'll want to obey the laws, but there's nothing wrong with asking questions and standing up for yourself, Tennessee. Don't let them walk all over you. (public service announcement )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 10:52 PM

7,497 posts, read 17,098,186 times
Almost wish I had one so I could go with ya. Jonesborough and Kingsport now have them, and I feel it will be very short before my beloved Johnson City also installs the damn things.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:18 AM

391 posts, read 1,351,967 times
Best of luck with the dispute. Quick heads up, TN did pass a new law, Code Section 55-8-198, that does constitutionally provide legality for all traffic cameras to be in use in TN. I would tell a lawyers' office to research this law and cases before spending any court costs. A lot of people have fought this since it was passed in 2008 and lost. Interestingly enough, they made it retroactive as well, so disputes or cases still pending from '06 and '07 still were forced to adhere to the law.

(Read it, it looks like if you know you're gonna run the light with a camera, turn on your emergency flashers real quick, it states any car with flashers on will be exempt from a ticket! interesting....)

Tennessee Appeals Court Embraces Red Light Cameras
12/2/2008 - State Attorney General Upholds Legality Of Traffic Cameras - Breaking News - Chattanoogan.com
http://state.tn.us/sos/acts/105/pub/pc0962.pdf

p.s. - I'm not a fan of cameras, as I feel they do a great job at increasing revenue, NOT improving safety, which is the guise they use to pass it...

Last edited by Servpro Will; 04-02-2009 at 08:31 AM..

Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,232,716 times
I can tell you the court costs when you fight it are higher than the cost of the ticket.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:53 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,373,575 times
Wasting your time, as when my wife got one, we tried to call on a favor , from a high up, person, cant say who, and was simply told, pay the $50 and forget it. Good luck, but suggest you pay, and not waste your time.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
p.s. - I'm not a fan of cameras, as I feel they do a great job at increasing revenue, NOT improving safety, which is the guise they use to pass it...
I agree and I think that it's pretty much common sense. I was nearly in a VERY BAD accident involving me, another car and an (admittedly speeding) 18-wheeler at the red light in Jonesborough near the new Lowe's, all because of the stupid camera. Most of you have no idea where this is, but it's a four lane road intersected by a low-density two-lane road. Yes, it has a camera. No, there never any accidents there. Yes, it's for revenue ONLY.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:40 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,182,234 times
Sorry, but I fail to see how a red light camera almost caused an accident. PEOPLE are running the lights. The camera has no control over the gas pedal or brake pedal in your car.

Got a question. Did hubby in fact run the red light? If yes, then just pay the damn ticket. He is guilty. To me, makes no difference how you got the ticket (mailed, carrier pigeon, or handed to you by a State Trooper).

Well it actually does make a difference. If the State Trooper gave you a ticket for running a red light, it does go on your record, and probably costs more too.

If hubby did NOT run the red light, and it clearly shows in the photos, then by all means fight it.
To me it's a big waste of time, money, and aggravation to fight these things. It also wastes tax payer money by tying up the courts.

But, knock yourself out.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:00 PM

132 posts, read 369,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Sorry, but I fail to see how a red light camera almost caused an accident. .

You can be close to the intersection and the light turns yellow, then you are "running" a red light. People slam their brakes at red light camera areas to avoid any chance of being "caught". Their crap. I would love to accidentally run one over.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I fail to see how a red light camera almost caused an accident. PEOPLE are running the lights. The camera has no control over the gas pedal or brake pedal in your car.
Quote:
Their crap. I would love to accidentally run one over.
Not me. In my case, the light turned yellow, the person slammed on their brakes way before the light. And so I had to slam mine on, too. The transfer behind me more or less barreled on ahead in the emergency lane.

It was 5:30, traffic was heavy in both lanes. It doesn't help that people here either drive like they're a 100 year old grandma or they're on the NASCAR track in Bristol.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:57 PM

15,930 posts, read 20,899,784 times
So I have a question about this. Do most people here believe that you are, or are not, allowed to enter an intersection on a yellow light? Just curious as to the prevailing thoughts in this area...

BTW I happen to agree with Barking Spider about paying the ticket if the red light was run.
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville