U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-15-2008, 01:20 PM

40 posts, read 91,600 times

Advertisements

Well, after a long and tiring search, it looks like we will be relocating to Oak Ridge. We are so excited, my oldest daughter can't wait.

Does anyone have any advice to offer a newbie on their move there. Its not the first time we moved, so I'm sure it won't be any different. You know though, just those new area jitters.

Like I said, we can't wait to get there and call it home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 03:17 PM

19,536 posts, read 22,750,292 times
LauraC will be along, I'm sure.

Her previous posts have convinced us to take a look at the area when we go to TN this October.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:51 AM

22,998 posts, read 17,958,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBunny View Post
Well, after a long and tiring search, it looks like we will be relocating to Oak Ridge. We are so excited, my oldest daughter can't wait.

Does anyone have any advice to offer a newbie on their move there. Its not the first time we moved, so I'm sure it won't be any different. You know though, just those new area jitters.

Like I said, we can't wait to get there and call it home.
How old is your family? Just don't want to tell you retiree stuff if you are young people.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How old is your family? Just don't want to tell you retiree stuff if you are young people.
We are in our early 40's and our girls are 14 and 9. The schools is one of the top reasons we started looking there, and I love the idea that the house is quite private for a subdivision, and in two minutes there is everything we need.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:16 PM

22,998 posts, read 17,958,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBunny View Post
We are in our early 40's and our girls are 14 and 9. The schools is one of the top reasons we started looking there, and I love the idea that the house is quite private for a subdivision, and in two minutes there is everything we need.
Okay, I'll assume one of you works in Oak Ridge and knows how to get to work from where you will live and that you have visited the area at least once.

General Info

Our Congressman is Zach Wamp. He comes to Oak Ridge frequently. He's thinking of running for Governor in 2010. Our Mayor is Tom Beehan. We have a City Council.

We have 2 newspapers: The Oak Ridger (a daily, 5 days per week) and the Oak Ridge Observer (weekly, comes out on Thursday). Both newspapers have websites.

If you look at the Oak Ridger online, right now, you will see info about the school bus schedule and new teachers in the school district.

Home - Oak Ridge, TN - The Oak Ridger

The Oak Ridge Observer

As a newbie, you also want to look at these 2 special sections of the Oak Ridger that you can read online. One is called Living Here and the other is called 101 Things To Do In East Tennessee. They come out annually. Click on the picture and then keep hitting Next Page to read the entire supplement. If you click on each page, you can make it larger. Living Here has phone numbers you will need.

Oak Ridger | Special Sections

Thursday's Oak Ridger has a supplement called Intermission that will tell you about upcoming events (museum, concerts, art, plays, etc) in Anderson County and Knoxville. Both newspapers report on school events and accomplishments. One of the papers, can't remember which, has the schools' lunch menus for the week.

Your car

When you get here, you'll have to take care of your vehicles and driver's licenses and you can register to vote. The county clerk's office is at 728 Emory Valley Road. Very easy to get to. Easy to get in and out quickly. As you are heading toward the lake on Emory Valley Rd, it's on the left hand side of the street right after the Bristol Park apartment complex and the Estates of Oak Ridge, entrance is on the left side of the building.

City Municipal Building

The City Municipal Building is on Tulane. You can get your electric turnd on there. You can pay your bill in person there, as well. It may surprise you to find your electric bill comes on a post card.

Post Office

The Post office is on Administration Road. Until you learn the back roads, you can get to it from the Turnpike.

Supermarkets

The two biggest supermarkets are Kroger's (behind MacDonalds on Illinois) and Food City (in the Manhattan Place shopping Center off the Turnpike) but there is also a Food Lion (on Emory Valley Rd). All have store cards to give you a break on prices. Get them. Both Kroger and Food City have pharmacies. There is also a supermarket in Wal-Mart.

There is a Farmer's Market on Saturdays in the Jackson Square parking lot.

Safety

LOCK EVERYTHING! Do not leave things in your car. Do not leave your purse unattended in a shopping cart, for example.

Events

If you are moving here soon, you are arriving, in my opinion the best time of the year. There are so many things to do in October, in the area, you'll have to decide what not to do. Oak Ridge has the Secret City Festival in June, the Christmas Parade around Dec 1, fireworks on July 4 and several smaller events like Earth Day, arts and crafts events, races, outdoor concerts, rowing regattas, a Street Painting fair, etc., throughout the year. Many are free. Norris has the huge Tennessee Fall Homecoming at the Museum of Appalachia in October. They also have a July 4 event. Clinton has their annual Antiques Festival in October. The Anderson County Fair is in Clinton in July. The Children's Museum and the Science Museum in Oak Ridge have special events and displays.

You can monitor events using the two Oak Ridge newspapers (think Thursday) and the TN Vacation website. Use that 101 Things To Do In East TN supplement to find attractions throughout the year.

If you have any questions about the town, please ask. I can't answer everything but I'll try. I can't answer anything about home buying, home building, house maintenance, property regulations/taxes or schools, though, but maybe someone else can.

Use the online Yellow Pages to find out what else is in Oak Ridge.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:00 PM

Thank you very much, this information is very helpful.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 10,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Okay, I'll assume one of you works in Oak Ridge and knows how to get to work from where you will live and that you have visited the area at least once.

General Info

Our Congressman is Zach Wamp. He comes to Oak Ridge frequently. He's thinking of running for Governor in 2010. Our Mayor is Tom Beehan. We have a City Council.
Wow we have a MAYOR .... thats something most people do not his/her name ..... trust me i have been trying to find out his/her name ..... none of my teachers knew lol and welcome to my town ..... what middle school is your child going to .... RMS is a better school for your most kids ..... and JMS is more for high test scores but i went to jefferson and most of the kids who come out there are stuck up brats who think they are the best in the world and most everyone else is crap ...... lucky me i did not turn out that way but i noticed RMS kids are nicer but more getto

Old 12-24-2008, 10:02 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,101,464 times
Hey snowbunny, welcome to Anderson county, and you will love the lakes, with Melton Hill being close, then the prettiest lake around is just up the road some 20 minutes or so, to Norris, and you will find that the nearby towns of Clinton, Lake City, and then north is Oliver Springs, and many outdoor things for Mtn. biking, and 4 wheeling. Several great places to hike, and several parks to enjoy. Be sure and visit the store for great discounts, Hammers in Clinton, as bargains galore. Oak Ridge also is made famous for petza,Big Eds, as folks come from everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville