Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:50 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,804 times

Advertisements

Thank you all who have responded. To reply to some of your comments, we have indeed done many hours of research on Knoxville (and the cities mentioned in my initial post). We plan on visiting next June. I truly grasp Gemkeeper's warning "We did it this way in Michigan" and "Why don't they have a Marshall Field's here in Knoxville?" We intend on leaving this state partly because of the way things are done here, I'd never bring that to TN or any other state. Time for a fresh change and to me that means embracing our new home and its way of thinking. Never been to a Marshall Field's so nothing lost there.

And what can one say about JMT and his photo album? Awesome. That alone solidifies why we have Knoxville on our top 2 list. And the tax situation, MI ranks even higher than KY so either state tops us (though TN more so).

And to hear the words "thriving ecomony", it sounds like a too-good-to-be-true fairytale to those of us stuck under Gov. Granholm's reign of terror. But to defend Louisville, they aren't doing too bad either.

Anyone else move from the Rustbelt to E TN? Are you happy, regret it, want to move elsewhere? Thank you all and keep the comments, warnings and comparisions coming. I need to know if we're going be routing for the UL Cardinals or the UT Vols!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:01 PM

603 posts, read 2,339,404 times
I recently moved from Lexington, KY to Knoxville. While I haven't lived in Louisville, I can offer my perspective of moving from KY to TN. The people are friendlier here than in Louisville (when I've visited) and in Lexington. Everyone we've encountered--from school staff to church members to Cracker Barrel employees--just seem to go out of their way to be friendly. The only time I really miss Lexington is when I go to the grocery store. Not only is there tax on food, but the groceries are more expensive. I've seen a gallon of milk between $4 and $5 (Lexington milk was $2.59). I haven't experienced it yet, from what I hear, the winters are milder here. Air quality isn't always so great. I'm glad we moved, but I think people should know there's positive and negative in any move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville