U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 03:54 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,897,170 times
Default Apple Time in East Tennessee!

I've never associated apples with Tennessee, but I've been seeing them at the farmers' market and one of the growers gave me a taste of one this afternoon. It was wonderful! Crisp, juicy, firm, a little tart. My idea of what a good apple should be.
Not real pretty and small but great eating. I came home with a bag. Can't remember what they called them, it's an heirloom variety they grow in Friendsville.
I had stopped at their stand to buy some apple blossom and wildflower honey they were selling. I had been looking for local honey, I've heard it helps reduce allergies to local plants. I'll see how it goes.
I've really enjoyed my weekly farmers market trips this year, buying and eating what's in season and local.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 04:15 PM

4,733 posts, read 6,464,114 times
Smile Honey is touted as a curative for lots of things, including allergies and arthritis!

Knoxgarden, I have heard the same thing about local honeys. I would imagine it is almost like getting allergy shots. Introduce minute amounts of the allergen into the system little by little and hopefully you will build up a tolerance to them.

You'll have to let us know how your medicinal honey works out. If it doesn't help with the allergies, you will still have some mighty fine honey.
It seems early for local apples, but then the trees bud and pollenate earlier here than typical northern apple country. We have always loved the local produce in our area, which is very much the same as the Knoxville area. Nice cool nights and lots of sunshine during the growing season. Can't miss!!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:05 PM

21,637 posts, read 31,022,286 times
I am dying to make an apple pie. No one will eat it, but me. Since I have such nice neighbors, I will bring one to them. I rarely bake, but I love making apple pie.

I heard about the honey thing, too. When I first moved to Florida I had head cold after head cold. I think it was a combination of overwhelming flora, plus so many people from so many places that converged there, after living in a small town where no one ever visited.

I think that's why Tennessee doesn't really bother me.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:14 AM

812 posts, read 1,282,621 times
Hik, I'll eat apple pie--it's my favorite (besides pumpkin!)

Old 08-30-2008, 06:50 AM

21,637 posts, read 31,022,286 times
Great! A guinea pig!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:33 AM

7,285 posts, read 14,027,014 times
I have noticed many apple trees in yards around the area are bent over with the load of apples. It looks like it will be a great apple year in TN! I love apple pie, baked apples ( I bake then in their skins, standing up in a pan in the oven, little water in the pan, core the apple and fill with butter and brown sugar..yummm!) I make apple bread and squares too. I LOVE apple time!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:53 AM

12,046 posts, read 11,510,519 times
Sounds like a great Apple for a pie...... hint

Apple Picking Orchards and Apple Farms Guide for Knoxville, Tennessee - Knoxville, TN - AmericanTowns.com

Old 08-30-2008, 01:49 PM

Tried the honey this morning. It tastes wonderful so even if it doesn't help with allergies it's worth buying.
Now I'm going to have to make an apple pie.
I also tried a new heirloom tomato this trip to the farmers market -- Cherokee Black. It is the best tomato I've ever eaten. Ever. If you like the old-fashioned beefsteaks, look for it at a farmer's market.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:59 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,391,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Tried the honey this morning. It tastes wonderful so even if it doesn't help with allergies it's worth buying.
Now I'm going to have to make an apple pie.
I also tried a new heirloom tomato this trip to the farmers market -- Cherokee Black. It is the best tomato I've ever eaten. Ever. If you like the old-fashioned beefsteaks, look for it at a farmer's market.
Can you tell me the location of the farmer's market you purchased the honey and applies? My dh will be in Maryville this week and I'd like to send him on an applie buying mission!! There is nothing better than the summer early crop apples! My parents owned an apple orchard in WI years ago. The early varieties included Jonathan, Winesap and Duchess.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:22 PM

I got these at the Farmers Market at Laurel Church on Kingston Pike. It's in the parking lot on Tuesdays and Fridays from 3-6 (or maybe 7). It's at Cherokee Blvd. and Kingston Pike near downtown Knoxville.
They may also go to the Farmers' Market at New Harvest Park in East Knoxville.
There is a Farmers Market in Maryville on Saturday mornings and you should be able to find them there. There were several sellers with apples.
Pick Tennessee Products
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville