Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:55 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times

Advertisements

Gustav evacuees here in Knoxville are unhappy with food provided in their shelter.

Some Gustav evacuees unhappy with local shelter food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 07:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Gustav evacuees here in Knoxville are unhappy with food provided in their shelter.

Some Gustav evacuees unhappy with local shelter food
I would be happy to point out the road that leads to N'awlins.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:11 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I would be happy to point out the road that leads to N'awlins.
Agreed, and I rep'd ya for that. On another forum, one of the posters was complaining about the shelter, how he/she couldn't sleep because some other people weren't sleeping or were making noise, and how he/she couldn't leave the shelter because the bus just "dumped them off" and left.

Oh what a thankless, entitled lot we've become when we have witnessed so much death, tragedy, and destruction but 3 years earlier, and now complain about the fact that we can retreat to shelters that have cots, serve food, transportation provided, and life intact.

Shame, shame....

Old 09-02-2008, 07:24 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Amazing, isn't it? It is much easier to take than it is to give. I guess this just proves the point. It must be very difficult to give some praise and a thank you.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:39 PM

Ok, now I will add my .02. Of all the wonderful, touching stories out there that this particular "news" station could have reported on they chose this?!?!?! I don't give a flying flip about the whiners that don't care for the three meals a day that have been served to them. Forget the ungratefuls; why give them any recognition? Instead why couldn't they have focused on the positives? Why not show the touching stories, the human interest, the people that are making a difference? There are great stories unfolding right here in Knoxville and they involve more than a honeybun.

For the whiners, Greyhound has seats available and if you DM me I'll make a reservation for you. One way to Louisiana. I'll send you to the town closest to New Orleans that is open.

Now, challenge to the news stations. Give us some good news, some hope, something. After last nights kick in the gut we need to hear of goodness and kindness and what is right in the world.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:54 PM

396 posts, read 1,310,977 times
I wonder why they didn't just walk up to the Weigels and pick up something different to eat. The guys standing out in front of the church by the street drinking out of brown paper bags didn't seem to mind the walk. I think there is even a pizza place across the street.

LCG

Old 09-02-2008, 08:06 PM

65 posts, read 197,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Amazing, isn't it? It is much easier to take than it is to give. I guess this just proves the point. It must be very difficult to give some praise and a thank you.
OK, they show one guy complaining about the food. Now people want to say that the New Orleans evacuees are not thankful. They could have just as easily showed 30 other people in that shelter that were thankful for being safe, but they chose to report on that one guy who was whining. Please don't judge the people of New Orleans based on this news report.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:35 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Wink I think that you mistook the ire at one or two, plus the media. New Orleans has nothing but pride to share with us all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by think365 View Post
OK, they show one guy complaining about the food. Now people want to say that the New Orleans evacuees are not thankful. They could have just as easily showed 30 other people in that shelter that were thankful for being safe, but they chose to report on that one guy who was whining. Please don't judge the people of New Orleans based on this news report.
Think, I wouldn't dream of judging a city of courageous, challenged people like New Orleans on one, two or a handful of folks who would probably fuss about anything, anywhere. We are proud of the people of New Orleans. We are proud of the way they have come back, the tenacity they have shown to the rest of the world, their spirit of love for their city and their fellow citizens.

I think the focus here is that no matter where you go or how much you do for some people - from anywhere - there will always be the one or two that what they are given isn't enough or good enough. What a shame. We should all have the gratitude and love that most of those from any of these devastated areas around the world have demonstrated, including New Orleans.

I believe the focus should be as SMG stated, why with all of the good, all of the wonderful stories that have come out of heartache and hurt, does the media choose to highlight the negative one. Why not tell the public about the family from New Orleans who gave their rent money to help neighbors buy gas to get to Atlanta (on our Atlanta news this evening), or the family of 6 in Atlanta that opened their home to 21 evacuees and felt blessed to have them share their home. Why not tell us about the sick, failing 94 year old mother who was brought to shelter by her already elderly son, only to find that they did not have the funds to return to New Orleans until a local church offered to pay all of their expenses.

These are the heart-warming and encouraging stories the world needs to hear. We can hear all the grumbling stories in the world from just about anywhere, but right now, we are experiencing acts of courage, of love of fellowman, and of hope. We want to share those stories so that one day it might be us who is on the receiving end of a handout and some help. May we be of the ilk to say "thank you" and "God bless you" and truly mean it. There are thousands from New Orleans who are saying those very words tonight. Our prayers are with all of them, even those who haven't yet realized how fortunate they are to have the arms of Knoxville open to wrap them in comfort and compassion. I know that those focused on by the media are vastly in the minority.

Never be offended by what one or two people say or do. If it is thousands or millions who raise up their voice of protest and complaint, then you better give a listening ear. Otherwise, may the one or two fall on deaf ears of us all so as not to interrupt our charity.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:41 PM

Gem, you are such a peacemaker.

About time we had a good spirited debate around here!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:32 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Default Boy am I going to catch it for this one.....but....

I think the reason that this news article was written was because of what DID happen when Katrina hit, well more so after. Unfortunately it is not "P.C." to talk about it. (Before I go any further here, I want it known that when I lived in FL for many years, I was much less financially solvent than I am now, had two small children and had to pack up what we could stuff in a vehicle and evacuate our home and the area many, many times, sometimes using the last few dollars we had to do so, so I am not being an arm chair quarterback from a lot of respects on this one.)

Now, I am not saying ALL of New Orleans by any means, I do believe it is a select few, however the old adage is true, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

When Katrina hit, yes it was awful and compounded by the levees breaking and the city unprepared for that eventuality.( sorry, but of course it was going to happen, they live in a coastal city and a huge lake BELOW sea level.) However there was a very large number of the population who EXPECTED the city government to come pick them up from their homes before the storm hit, have room to store everything they wanted to bring, and bring them to a safe place with creature comforts that were better than the homes they kept up themselves. (Did you not see the squaller some of those evacuees lived in BEFORE the storm hit? There is no reason for that besides laziness, sorry) Add to that the number of thieves and thugs mixed into that group at the astrodome and the few security that were assigned there (mostly volunteers only expecting a few hundred people) got scared due to the actions of the evacuees behaviors and left. Now, yes, that is bad city planing on one hand, on the other, why do some people act that way? Please, do not say because they are scared, because people during and after 911 in Manhattan did not act this way and there is no comparison of scared there. Plain and simple, the bad took advantage of the situation and the blame was placed on the local and federal government. And yes, the media ate it up, churned it up beyond "spin", gave half the story, and sucked it dry for every rating it was worth.
Then the evacuees were sent to Huston and complained there and had a hand out for money, which they were given. Was anyone of the people in Homestead FL who lost their homes due to Andrew and were displaced for years or permanently, handed money? No. Hey, they had below poverty level living in Homestead too. Did you hear nationally of anyone angrily ranting that they needed a government hand out? No. Did they blame the government? No. And yes, there were people in Homestead that did not own a car, but their neighbors, like all neighbors should, baned together and helped each other in a crisis, not try to take advantage of the situation and cry for a freebie.
What about Iowa when the flooding happened a few months ago? Were there buses brought to everyone who relied on public transportation (yes even in Iowa, some people do not, can not drive or own a car) to make sure they evacuated when told to? No. They were grateful that there are organizations like the Red Cross who set up shelters for free and went there for weeks without complaint, not a few days like now.

I am sorry, but when you are told to evacuate, make plans and leave.The majority of people who evacuate, anywhere in this country when this type of situation comes about, have to pay for a hotel hundreds of miles from home and foot the bill themselves with no hope for restitution but are grateful to be safe. However If you CHOOSE ride it out, then you are on your own, it was your choice to stay. And if you do choose to evacuate, leave the public help for those who REALLY need it. The elderly who are home bound, the handicap, the truly sick and so forth. If you are an able bodied person, be an American and help out your neighbor and your family when crisis hits, not wait for the government or a hand out to take care of you. Not PC, but I will say it folks, government assistance is a privilege, not a right.

I noticed a HUGE difference in this storm evacuation than Katrina, First and foremost there was more organization on the city planing side, which is big. The other is that a lot of the problem thieves and thugs still live in Huston. Just look at the crime rates in the two cities before and after Katrina. But the biggest, I think, that the announcements were made in a no ands ifs or buts about it kind of way this time. " Evacuate, you have until 4:00 tomorrow to get on a bus or train (no charge mind you) if you need it or you are on your own. The National Guard is not here to protect your belongings. If you are caught looting, you will go straight to the state prison.There will be no helicopters to get you off roofs. There are no shelters being set up in the city, the astodome is closed." and so forth. Which I believe is just sad that those kind of announcements even had to be made but they were.
And the biggest is that the local governments called the Federal government in anticipation of need BEFORE it was long past needed so it was made available to them.

Now as for these folks in this shelter in Knoxville who are complaining about the food being GIVEN TO THEM FOR FREE in a shelter offered to them FOR FREE.........walk home and gain some self respect and perspective on life. If that doesn't work, go to Hatti while one of these hurricanes hit and see how much free help you get.

I think this is exactly why the newspaper reported this story, to show how ungrateful some people can be when faced with adversity and crisis situations. I think it is a huge part of what is wrong with this country today. There are SO many people with the "me first and me now" attitude that they have no idea how grateful they should be.

OK, sorry, rant over, I'll get off my soap box and y'all can let me have it for not being politically correct. If I inadvertently offended someone, I am sorry, well, unless you are the ones at the Knoxville shelter complaining about the facilities or what they lack, than I do not apologize for offending you. I not only hope your offended, you should be ashamed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville