Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 05:00 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but one dealership on the Airport Motor Mile just closed and several others are hurting financially. The medical jobs aren't as plentiful as they once were but there are quite a few of the $9-$10/hour positions that come open often.

Please be realistic and have at least 6 months of living expenses saved up if you come here without jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 05:19 PM

9 posts, read 54,587 times
Thats the second time I've heard huge pay cut???
From the info on tennessee.gov I was assuming the wages were pretty equal to what I'm making in Michigan. But I guess wage decline or incline would all depend on where your relocating from.
The average medical receptionist is making about $12-$14 hour, average biller about $15-$17 in michigan and tenn.gov is saying experienced receptionist in Tenn, makes about $12 an hour, average biller is making $15. Is that accurate???
Mechanic average $35-$40K a year in michigan.
Anyone know average mechanic wage in tenn???

Old 09-14-2008, 05:40 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Well, that would be me. My husband is the auto mechanic.

He has done pretty well, here, but that is not the norm. He has made anywhere from $10 an hour to $725 a week, net. He has been offered $6. Like any place, some people are shysters that make you chase them for your money and some are good, decent business people.

The market is tight right now. My husband has 20 years experience and has often been a foreman. He is doing very well, but he has been very lucky.

Last December we thought we had reached rock bottom, yet we soared to the top and just bought our first house. (I often wonder if the prayers from my city-data friends was the reason.)

Bear in mind that I have been in the south for 12 years, and my husband, 28. I am now use to low pay and my husband has always had it.

But as my friend JMT says, it is a wonderful trade-off. There is something fun and quirky about this place and I love it. I think it attracts people that are looking for that sort of fun friendliness. People that are just looking for better weather don't usually care for us.

For some reason, many Mid-westerners don't like it. I think it is the pay cut and the fact that our housing is not as cheap as they think it should be. I mean, the prices are great here, but some think they can get something decent for say, $50,000.

Granted, mid-westerners are losing a lot of jobs, but your pay is still better than ours.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:32 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,661,334 times
Work should be up for mechanics as people put off buying a new car and want to keep theirs running longer and with the best efficiency.
Check Carmax.com. They have a huge used car dealership here and a very good repair facility. They offer their own warranty. I know of a couple of independent mechanics who have gone to work for them and really like it.
The big hospitals are undergoing changes and merges. But as boomers age and nursing homes and care facilities increase, so will jobs.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:01 PM

9 posts, read 54,587 times
Hey knoxgarden
Thanks
Passed the info on to my husband. Your right there are mechanic jobs at Carmax.
And to my suprise, the pay is very little less than you would make in Michigan.
Considering tha cost of living is about 15% less to live in Tennesee, I think we will be bringing home a bite more than we do in Michigan.
We also pay big heat bills and big state taxes in Michigan, so it will be nice to have that money back in my pocket also.

I have to wonder, from the messages I read, why everyone thinks that all people that move to Tennessee are going to make less money. I'm not seeing that, at least in my situation.
I understand if you come from somewhere that is paying big dollars to employees, but not in Michigan.
Most people I know have not got a raise in 5 years now. Michigan economy is terrible right now.
And as far as Metro Detroit, our mayor (kilpatrick) just stepped down to avoid going to jail so the area is really having a lot of problems right now.
Glad I'm leaving soon.
Can't wait to get somewhere that I can breath cleaner air and live quitely amongst the locals.

Thanks again for the tip on Carmax
Raitch

Last edited by raitch in michigan; 09-16-2008 at 01:18 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 01:19 PM

197 posts, read 485,381 times
Hi There,

I have friends in Detroit, Michigan, and I think job pay is comparable here. I would still be careful and save up 6 mos to be on the safe side.

But, that said, we have had some folks asking about our city from places in the midwest where houses are less expensive and pay is marginally better, and, no, you probably can't get a nice house for $50,000 in the city that doesn't either need a ton of work or need to be moved to a better/safer location. I say "probably" because you can if you look really hard, get a foreclosure, settle for AS-IS, and aren't afraid of hiring out for asbestos abatement and redoing all the plumbing yourself and getting the foundation repaired. But it doesn't happen often.

Good luck with your move and let us know when you get here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville