U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:31 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,620,907 times
Default What do love most about Knoxville...

in other words, what makes this city special? How would you describe the quality of life? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 04:30 PM
BST

451 posts, read 679,811 times
Take a stroll down Market Street - past Krutch Park toward the Whittle Building - when the Bradford pears and dogwoods are in bloom...and you hear music behind you, emanating from the square...and the breeze delivers the faint teriyaki aroma of Shono's. Mmmmmm...there's a magic spot on that sidewalk - in front of the Arnstein Center - where the sunlight, the view, the sounds and smells all converge to form heaven. Anybody else been there?

Old 10-06-2008, 01:10 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,954,265 times
Its our home, as we raised my family here for 35 years, and a place we all call home. As the old saying goes, "Home is where the heart is".

Old 10-06-2008, 02:36 PM

21,596 posts, read 29,637,778 times
It's all about the quality of life.

Taking a trip to the store, more often than not, you will hear a polite word, a kind gesture, someone to laugh with in a checkout line.

Drive down the road and you see people letting others out into traffic and everyone behind him smiles and thinks it is the right thing to do.

In these scary economic times, it is nice to see that restaurants are still busy. We went to Outback the other night and there was a twenty minute wait. We are booming, compared to many other areas. That is a bit comforting, although the way things are going, our global economy is frightening.

We all have bad days, but in this kind of environment, a bad day seems to quickly turn around.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:22 PM

197 posts, read 302,484 times
Its the people.
I was pulling the nails out of the siding on my house and a neighbor I had not met came by and just started helping and struck up a conversation and said it looked like I was doing a lot of work on my house.

Its the land and climate.
The hills and trees filter the sunlight and you can just make out all the spires of all the Churches sticking up over the hills and it makes it so pretty.

Its the Nature.
I'm close to the parks, the lakes, shade, biking, hiking, water. Whatever I could want. I can ski in the winter and swim in the summer.

Its the cost of living.
I can afford my home here. We are full of down to earth people who did not take part in the housing BOOM and subsequent CRASH to the extent of other places. We are slower and more methodical.

My friends are here. My chosen family is here. I cannot imagine leaving, though I do tend to move around Knoxville a bit.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:28 PM

8,890 posts, read 20,367,191 times
All of that and more!

I love the fact that on a meager teacher's salary I can afford my own home in a clean neighborhood.

I love being so near the mountains. I love having a mountain right outside the city with wonderful hiking and great views (House Mountain).

I love hearing those kind words that hiknapster talked about at the grocery store, at the post office, at the dry cleaners, etc.

Remember how nice everyone in the country was right after 9-11? Remember how friendly we all were as drivers? Remember how no one got offended when people mentioned God in public and prayed over their food in restaurants? Well, it's always been like that here, and it's still like that here.

In some ways Knoxville is like a small town. Teenagers here are generally very respectful. Our TV news is full of happy stuff and not daily stabbings (Friday night news is almost all about high school football games). A "quick" trip to the grocery store is almost impossible because someone in line in front of you will have a friendly chat with the cashier, or the person next to you in the produce section will talk to you about the beautiful tomatoes, and that's ok. Men still hold doors open for women, teachers don't give much homework on Wednesday nights because it's church night, and the whole town comes together to cheer for the local school (the Vols).

Yet Knoxville is also like a big city. We've got some really cool high-rises downtown. We've got a couple of large malls. We have a beautiful and very accessible airport with non-stop flights to most hub cities in the country. We have a wonderful symphony and one of the most beautiful theaters in the country: the fabulous Tennessee Theatre downtown which periodically has FREE concerts showcasing its Mighty Wurlitzer.

And speaking of downtown, as an earlier post said we have a wonderful, very walkable downtown with lots of neat restaurants, Mast General Store, great movie theaters, parks, Shakespeare and outdoor movies in the summer and an ice skating rink in the winter. And it's SAFE.

Knoxville isn't for everyone. But it's certainly for me.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:21 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,877,832 times
Everything that has been said... again. It is the people more than anything. I am not in Knox, but a suburb of it and can't begin to describe how wonderful living here has been so far.

People here are genuinely giving and helpful. Most love stopping to chat, lend a hand or to "give" of themselves. I've been the recipient wonderful backyard produce and lovely Christmas goodies from several of my neighbors. I love that everyone waves at us when we take our daily "constitutional" or when we drive down the road. More than anything I appreciate the unpretentious ways of most who live here. I can certainly understand the vehemence many have for keeping things they way they are and the easy resentment for the newcomers who wish to change things as soon as they get here.

That said, I love the countryside and the views and how quickly I can be in a place protected from any development and change where nature still has a chance (I really have begun to feel they are "my" Smoky Mts). I love the wonderful mix of Mayberry and any-city-USA that I can find within a half hour drive.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:42 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,718,140 times
Add another vote for the people. I've found that living in Knoxville has made me a better person: friendlier, more polite, smile more, less rushed, more respectful of others.
Add the lively vibe of a college town, incredible scenery and low cost of living and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:47 PM

12,324 posts, read 17,138,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
in other words, what makes this city special? How would you describe the quality of life? Thanks
One has the ability to make life what they want of it here.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:52 PM

21,596 posts, read 29,637,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
One has the ability to make life what they want of it here.
Ding, ding, ding. That's it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville