Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:53 AM

197 posts, read 485,381 times

Advertisements

If you are going to work at Scripps, you might want to check out "Belmont West" off of Cedar Bluff (if the 300000 and 400000 is your price range) and if you don't want a commute and if you want convenient to the airport.
If your price range is more like 200000, or 150000, you might want to check out Gulf Park, next door. These are not old houses by any means, but they are houses built in the late 60s and early 70s (and in Belmont West, many are brand new as they have knocked a few down and started over). There are wide yards, mature trees, very good elementary and intermediate school and zoned Hardin Valley Academy for High School (a good thing). I lived in Gulf Park and there are lots of kids there. There is a neighborhood pool, etc. Walking distance to the elementary, intermediate and middle schools, no major roads to cross. My son loved the middle school. We're moving to South Knoxville because we are not "into" the family and suburban thing. You might be. It was worth it to us to be there while my son was in middle school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 07:14 PM

66 posts, read 249,737 times
Sequoyah Hills is the neighborhood for you. Great mix of older houses ranging from $100k to almost $5 million. Lots of character. One of TN's best public elementary schools right in the middle as well as a little "commercial" area with a coffee house, etc (lots of unfulfilled potential in the commercial area). Beautiful park along the TN river with loads of joggers, dogs, etc.

Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Beretta; 10-17-2008 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: deleted realtor info

Old 10-17-2008, 07:59 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxmomma View Post
Sequoyah Hills is the neighborhood for you. Great mix of older houses ranging from $100k to almost $5 million. Lots of character. One of TN's best public elementary schools right in the middle as well as a little "commercial" area with a coffee house, etc (lots of unfulfilled potential in the commercial area). Beautiful park along the TN river with loads of joggers, dogs, etc.

Moderator cut: delete
True. I've eyeballed that area. Great spot for an auto repair business and gas station. Full service.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:25 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
I'm from L.A., did a lot of business (and pleasure) in Seattle and loved it. I don't think you're going to find exactly what you're hoping for here (I didn't, either), but I think three areas will likely meet most of your goals:

Sequoyah Hills
Farragut
Northshore

Given your price range and your commute to Scripps, you might be interested in some of Farragut's older neighborhoods or perhaps Riversound, Montgomery Cove, Mallard Bay, etc., along Northshore. The latter are further from downtown, since they are west of Scripps, but they'll put you in Farragut's public schools. Sequoyah Hills will put you in the Bearden school district, and while it's good, most people who can afford it in SH send their kids to Webb.

I'll offer a few other observations that might be helpful:

Newer McMansions don't have large lots; they generally have small lots and little privacy, unless you're in the near-million-and-up price range. The larger lots come with older houses. Land has gotten too valuable, and developers too greedy, to give newer homes large lots.

While $600K is a lot of money, it's not going to buy you much on or near the water, close-in. I looked for three years, and while prices have come down some, water property is still mindbogglingly expensive (for Knoxville), unless you're willing to move a little further out. Then you'll have to commute.

While it's not Seattle or L.A., Scripps is in a traffic hot spot. Kingston Pike and I-40 are bottlenecks and Cedar Bluff is no picnic, so if you're looking for a quick, easy commute, you're going to want to be relatively close.

Knoxville has a ton of neighborhoods, but your options are going to narrow it down to a small subset. When you look at a couple, you'll get a feel right away which ones are right for you. Riversound, Montgomery Cove and Sequoyah Hills have different vibes and different kinds of people choose them for different reasons.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-18-2008, 09:06 AM

10 posts, read 70,846 times
Default Welcome fellow Seattle Dawg!

My husband and I lived in Seattle for about 5-6 years. (UW graduate/Northwest University Graduate) We LOVE Seattle but not the cost of living. We lived in Green Lake and Kirkland. I think that you will like the area. Knoxville is no Seattle but this place is great. With your budget I think you will like Fountain City, Sequoyah Hills or West Hills. I think Sequoyah Hills might be your best option though, I find a lot of resemblence to Seattle.

We miss the majestic cascade mountains but there is a lot of beauty here its just a different kind of beauty.

I hope you like this place as much as we do!

We have only been here since July, (husband accept a job with Scripps Network) but if you need any help let us know.

Take Care & Good Luck!

Sonya

Old 10-18-2008, 10:01 PM

48 posts, read 218,295 times
I would definately reccommend Fountain City. The area is booming, and the people are very down-to-earth and friendly. Also, you can get a 2,000 SF plus house for around 200-250 K. I would check out the Sterchi Hills neighborhood. Great houses, virtually no crime.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-19-2008, 04:55 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTowner33 View Post
I would definately reccommend Fountain City. The area is booming, and the people are very down-to-earth and friendly. Also, you can get a 2,000 SF plus house for around 200-250 K. I would check out the Sterchi Hills neighborhood. Great houses, virtually no crime.

Hope this helps!
I live not far from there. Three of Lauren's classmates live in the Sterchi Hills neighborhood. However, it is a new subdivision. Small lots. I'm not sure if that's what the OP meant by established neighborhood.

Then again, the OP has never been back!

Old 10-19-2008, 11:30 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
" While $600K is a lot of money, it's not going to buy you much on or near the water, close-in."

How near to the water did you need to be, GBH? I looked on realtor.com and found 45 listings in S knox and Holston Hills with lake water/views between 200 & 600K. OK judging from the adresses some of those are bogus - maybe a view of the neighbor's swimming pool? - but at least half were on streets that run on or near the river.

Now these are on big lots without the walkability factor the OP desired, but like HK said the OP appears to have left the building. Just wanted to clear up a misconception.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:24 PM

16 posts, read 44,804 times
Default my two cents

I am new to the area (from New York), three months, and work at Scripps. We didn't have much time to look, but we decided on Hardin Valley. Very close to work (ten minutes) and its a beautiful area, great schools, etc. but is more country. I have great neighbors and kids, but still hear the cows at night. I think though that SHills may be the right for you. A ton of relocated people who work at Scripps moved there. In my department, I am one of five relocated people. Four moved to SHills. Good luck, and when you are at the office, let me know.

Steven

Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,695 times
Montgomery Cove is a great neighborhood, with lots of young families, and currently have some 15 homes, ranges in prices from 485 and up. Some are on the water, has a club house, pool, tennis, and lots of planned festival and holiday events for the young. Next door is the new Jefferson Park, and some homes to choose from, but the lake lots start at 600. As Newbie2south stated, you might also like the new Hardin Valley area, plenty to choose from, the niceest place there is Covered Bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville