Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 04:28 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times

Advertisements

It's kinda like that here in N. AZ except they say wait 10 minutes, insteach of 1 week .

60 degrees is my kind of winter!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
My motto about Knoxville weather is:

If you don't like the weather wait a week.

I wouldn't call it sunny here. More like mixed. Why don't you put the weather report on your homepage and then you'll know what to expect. No wait a minute - you never know what to expect. Like today for instance. It's 60+ degrees in the middle of winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 04:56 PM

Thank you Hiknapster and William Sold...you have given me food for thought.

Do you think the weather would be nice around the end of March? I might come then. Also, do most people just fly in to the local airport or is there another recommended one?

Thanks

Old 12-09-2008, 04:59 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thank you Hiknapster and William Sold...you have given me food for thought.

Do you think the weather would be nice around the end of March? I might come then. Also, do most people just fly in to the local airport or is there another recommended one?

Thanks
The weather is beautiful around the end of March. The Bradford Pear trees are just starting to bloom.

I am too neurotic to fly. Someone else will have to advise.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It occurred to me that you might want to browse the Metro Pulse. It will give you a very good idea of what the area is like and the things to do.

Metro Pulse: Knoxville News, Issues, Entertainment, Culture, People

I bet you would love Fountain City, which is where I live.
PS thanks for the Metro Pulse link and YES I can already tell that I would like Fountain City! Is it near conveneinces, and does it feel safe?

Old 12-09-2008, 05:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
PS thanks for the Metro Pulse link and YES I can already tell that I would like Fountain City! Is it near conveneinces, and does it feel safe?

Definitely feels safe. I am very paranoid and I feel great around here. Lots of conveniences like grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants. Broadway runs through Fountain City, so it is packed full of fast-food places, etc. But if you get off the main drag it is very charming.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:23 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
I almost always fly in and out of Nashville, and I travel a lot for work. Knoxville's airport is small (much smaller than it should be for this size city); it's difficult and expensive to get flights and next to impossible to fly direct unless you're going somewhere close on a puddle jumper. Since I much prefer jets and am usually traveling to NY or LA, Nashville better suits my needs and saves me money. Knoxville to Nashville is an easy drive.

It's interesting about the weather, because different people prefer different things, and any question about the climate always produces a myriad of responses. People from FL or the Northeast think the winters and summers are mild in Knoxville, but coming from LA, I find the high humidity, the cold and the rain difficult to adjust to. The summers are hot and humid, and it's generally in the 80s and 90s for 3-5 months. Lately, the winters have been cold and gray, but you won't see a lot of snow. It rains a lot, so everything usually stays lush and green during the growing months. The vegetation is beautiful, but it causes a lot of people allergy issues. Air quality isn't the greatest. I've never seen such bipolar weather-- you can run your AC in the day and your heat at night.

So it's really about what kind of climate you find tolerable. Coming from AZ, where it's warm and dry, the humidity and the rain will be an adjustment, but many find that other benefits (like a lower COL) make up for it. You'll just have to come see and check it out for yourself. Good luck to you!

Old 12-09-2008, 08:29 PM

Thanks Goodbyehollywood, I figured Nashville airport would be best. I agree that what you think of the weather will depend on where you came from. I lived in the NE for 40 years so might be able to handle it.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:18 PM

391 posts, read 1,359,208 times
Quote:
Adventure,
Weather in March can be hit or miss. Example, this past March we got married. We were dead set on an outoor wedding, were using Dara's Garden near Alcoa and Maryville. The week before it was spitting snow and freezing cold. A week later, the day of our wedding, we were blessed with blue skies and 65 temp. Couldn't have asked for better weather to get buried in.

As for flying, I always use Knox, cause I hate having to travel..to travel. But it can be cosiderably more. Try checking rates at Chattanooga and Nashville, both easy drives. We do have some one way cheap flights with Allegiant Air, but most of these are to Florida.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:33 AM

Thanks William Sold, I do realize that there is no guarantee with weather (unless you're in phoenix and then you have a better chance but once when I visited there it snowed ) I was looking to get away to the sun from the Pacific NW and I went to the cold and snow.

I didn't realize that you could use Chatanooga airport too.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,216 times
Going back a page in this thread, creeksitter had a good suggestion regarding weather data. If you have a Yahoo account, you can show the weather for several cities on your "My Yahoo" page. I like to compare what the weather is in various cities I'm considering with what it is here in NY.
It shows the weather for Knoxville today as a high of 60, low of 46, cloudy with periods of rain. 1 to 2 inches of rain expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville