Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 09:27 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You probably never lived in Boston where "Yankee" is a baaaaad word.
What if they are wearing "Red Sox"?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:31 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,778,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
I find it interesting that the term "Yankee" has a different meaning in the "South" than in the "North"

Both sides fought a war well over 140 years ago. The "North" does not refer to people from the "South" as "rebels" or "Confederates", yet the South still uses the term "Yankee", and generally as a pejorative.

In the North a "Yankee" is a member of a baseball team.

I do believe the term will not disappear, as it is used today, until a time comes when people are not divided by the past, but united by the now.
Yankee is a term still used in many countries, especially other English-speaking countries and Latin America to designate Americans. The meat of it is that this term is generally associated with a self-righteous attitude and a lack of respect for different cultural perspectives. The best way to start eliminating this term? Don't be one of those people. Treat people with respect wherever you travel. But also, be able to laugh at yourself. Sometimes it can be used in good fun and even as a term of endearment. Southerners don't give you a hard time unless they like you

Old 01-19-2009, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 6,692 times
I was born in Jellico Tn...moved to MI. at the age of 6. My dad moved back to TN. after her retired, that is where he lived till he died...I moved back to take care of him and it was very hard geting use to the very slow service of repairmen and oh my carpet layers wow! they gave a new meaning to "The slower pace" Lol it was like dead ...because in MI..when you order something and have a delivery date and time, it is then or before you get it!!!! ....I really tought I would loose my mind for the first year but after that,I learned to inhale and exhale alot!....
But, the one thing I had going for me is I was raised by southerners and I guess my blood relaly was always orange...so it helped me alot to adapt,,,please take a trip down and stay for a week or so and ck it out ....I have since moved back to MI but I still have my home in East TN. and I can't wait to move back....
good luck

Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
Yankee is a term still used in many countries, especially other English-speaking countries and Latin America to designate Americans. The meat of it is that this term is generally associated with a self-righteous attitude and a lack of respect for different cultural perspectives. The best way to start eliminating this term? Don't be one of those people. Treat people with respect wherever you travel. But also, be able to laugh at yourself. Sometimes it can be used in good fun and even as a term of endearment. Southerners don't give you a hard time unless they like you
Having lived in Texas and North Carolina I can tell you from experience, that while Southerners are some of the friendliest people I have met, the term Yankee is NOT generally used of those they like.

In fact in some places it is better to refer to the "Civil War" as the "War of Northern Aggression", if you want to avoid conflict.

The idea of the "ugly American" is true in many cases, but not in all or even the majority. Having traveled a fair bit out of the US, including, Mexico, Europe and Australia, I have yet to hear anyone, other that those in the South or in the New England States, use the term at all.

As to a sense of humor, you are correct it is highly important. Primarily if you are the "Yankee".

I have used it for years in the South, to deflect the animosity I have experienced at times. I also must acknowledge that it is becoming rarer in the larger cities, but is still a problem in smaller ones. I have a friend who has lived for many years in TN and to this day is not accepted even though he works very hard at being friendly and neighborly. He simply was not born in the South and for many that is reason for being "friendly", but only to his face.

One town near Nashville that I visited and really loved, is now off my list of possible homes. Two women who moved there many years ago, spoke of the problems they still have, when I met them in the town. One of the women is married to a police officer FROM the city and she still must walk softly. This is after nearly 30 years of living there.

Representative of all or even the majority, probably not, but still prevalent, yep. I will do my part to avoid encouraging rejection of "Yankees", but the onus is NOT on Yankees to let old animosity die.

Uniquely my families roots are deep in the South and I probably have more relatives, in laws and ancestors in the South (Virginia, No Carolina, So Carolina, Georgia, Alabama) than many Southerners alive today have. One of the old family homes is a show place in Atlanta to this day. Unfortunately my mother moved from her home in Missouri when her hubby went to Calif in WWII to join the Navy, so I, unlike my brother, was born in California. Mind you Californians are not really viewed as Yankees, more as rather strange people from the land of "fruits and nuts". I can live with it.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 PM

253 posts, read 805,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I'm a native of the New York City metro area, but looking to escape from NY in the not too distant future. All of the areas I'm currently considering are located in southern states (VA, NC, SC, TN), but I know that there are still people in parts of the South that act like they're still fighting the Civil War, and are against anything or anyone from above the Mason-Dixon line.
I don't consider myself your typical New Yorker... I'm not loud or flashy, rarely curse, and I don't have any discernible accent (certainly not the stereotypical NY accent on tv shows). In fact, people are often surprised I've lived in NY almost my whole life!
If I were to move to Knoxville coming from NY, would it be difficult for me to be accepted by the locals?
first, let me say...hope you make it to Knoxville, its a great place to live!!!
i see post like this all the time, matter of fact, i posted a response to one in the charlottesville VA forum, you could go read it(think on this you can just check my post and find it fast)
anyways....to sum it up...people up north to stop asking IF they will be welcome...and to stop bringing up our way of life and asking if they will be accepted and stop assuming we are rebel flag toting...civil war acting, uneducated hillbillies, etc etc....we are PEOPLE. we live, work, eat, sleep just like anyone else. but we do it differant. we do it slower and nicer. we dont hate northeners, we dont turn up our noses when you come down, BUT....we do get sick of people assuming things about us, making unjust remarks about our ways, etc. you dont see southeners in these forums asking northen states "will we be welcome up there"....why? cuz why should we. if we go up there, we KNOW things will be differant, we know it will be cold, we know we wont sound the same, eat the same things, etc, but we will adapt!!!! we will come up with a open mind, and not assume things. we will learn to give up things that remind us of home, and graciously learn to like new things that living up there will bring to us.
save the questions like" will i fit in, will you like me" for your inlaws....if you havent already got them, we will welcome you, as long as you look at us as people...not aliens!!!
to many posts come up with those questions...my favs are "will my kids be treated differant cuz of how they talk?" why would they? yes, kids will notice, but they will not laugh like our kids tend to ge when we move north, our kids will walk up....and say something like..." your not from here, where you from....tell me about it!!!" im from the south, my hubby is from the north...our kids have more friends down here now that we are back, and they didnt have accents so to speak, minus what they picked up from me....lol, but they are getting them now!!!!
you will be fine...come down...pull up a chair, have a sweet tea...and enjoy taking life slower and smelling the roses....you wont regret it!!!

btw....fastest way to fit in as a local...is get ya some orange, be it a vols tshirt, cap...decal for your vehical window...or even one for your mail box...no matter who you love sports wise...we bleed orange down here...and you can fly your fav team flag to...just share the pole with a vols one to and you will be good to go!!! plus...you wont be able to help it...its contagious...my hubby isnt a big football watcher...but learned to like it without even realizing it.....lol, its the fastest way to gain friends fast to....!!!!!
ps...if orange aint your color(ya can get your vols fix in white and i think black now to....lol

Last edited by Beretta; 01-19-2009 at 09:34 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Having lived in Texas and North Carolina I can tell you from experience, that while Southerners are some of the friendliest people I have met, the term Yankee is NOT generally used of those they like.

In fact in some places it is better to refer to the "Civil War" as the "War of Northern Aggression", if you want to avoid conflict.

The idea of the "ugly American" is true in many cases, but not in all or even the majority. Having traveled a fair bit out of the US, including, Mexico, Europe and Australia, I have yet to hear anyone, other that those in the South or in the New England States, use the term at all.

As to a sense of humor, you are correct it is highly important. Primarily if you are the "Yankee".

I have used it for years in the South, to deflect the animosity I have experienced at times. I also must acknowledge that it is becoming rarer in the larger cities, but is still a problem in smaller ones. I have a friend who has lived for many years in TN and to this day is not accepted even though he works very hard at being friendly and neighborly. He simply was not born in the South and for many that is reason for being "friendly", but only to his face.

One town near Nashville that I visited and really loved, is now off my list of possible homes. Two women who moved there many years ago, spoke of the problems they still have, when I met them in the town. One of the women is married to a police officer FROM the city and she still must walk softly. This is after nearly 30 years of living there.

Representative of all or even the majority, probably not, but still prevalent, yep. I will do my part to avoid encouraging rejection of "Yankees", but the onus is NOT on Yankees to let old animosity die.

Uniquely my families roots are deep in the South and I probably have more relatives, in laws and ancestors in the South (Virginia, No Carolina, So Carolina, Georgia, Alabama) than many Southerners alive today have. One of the old family homes is a show place in Atlanta to this day. Unfortunately my mother moved from her home in Missouri when her hubby went to Calif in WWII to join the Navy, so I, unlike my brother, was born in California. Mind you Californians are not really viewed as Yankees, more as rather strange people from the land of "fruits and nuts". I can live with it.
Ok, first of all, the tern Yankee is still used in Australia and Latin America. Apparently the "if I didn't experience it, it doesn't exist" perspective seems to be heavy in your analysis. You are correct in your assessment that the sentiment is more rural. I hear as many non-southern accents daily as I do southern here in Knoxville. Half of my friends are from non-southern states. If it makes you feel any better, I am not much accepted in rural areas either (in fact, nobody is, except the natives). I have darker, Mediterranean features (Are you middle eastern?) and apparently a sterile accent (Where are you from? Not TN I'm sure.). Do I lose sleep over it? Nope. Yes, a sense of humor is important when you are the "Yankee" in the south. It is also important when I travel to California, Michigan, New York, Ohio, etc. It seems to me that you are also carrying some animosity...

Last edited by Kitties of Domination; 01-19-2009 at 10:25 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,412 times
Quote:
Ok, first of all, the tern Yankee is still used in Australia and Latin America.
I don't know about Latin America, but having been to Australia I know it is used there.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Ok, first of all, the tern Yankee is still used in Australia and Latin America. Apparently the "if I didn't experience it, it doesn't exist" perspective seems to be heavy in your analysis. You are correct in your assessment that the sentiment is more rural. I hear as many non-southern accents daily as I do southern here in Knoxville. Half of my friends are from non-southern states. If it makes you feel any better, I am not much accepted in rural areas either (in fact, nobody is, except the natives). I have darker, Mediterranean features (Are you middle eastern?) and apparently a sterile accent (Where are you from? Not TN I'm sure.). Do I lose sleep over it? Nope. Yes, a sense of humor is important when you are the "Yankee" in the south. It is also important when I travel to California, Michigan, New York, Ohio, etc. It seems to me that you are also carrying some animosity...
Hi,

I don't doubt that the term is used in other countries, just as it is still used in the US.

My point is that IN the US the term is used as a pejorative mainly in the South.

As for myself, I have no animosity at all towards those from the South. My family is from the South as well as some from the North. I am also not dark complected, in fact I am quite "white" as to skin tone, as my European ancestors were such.

I am looking forward to living in TN, where I already have family living. I also know that in some areas my "accent" identifies me as not from the South. Several times I have had the term used in a disparaging manner. Am I offended, nope, I feel a bit bad that old problems still cause division. I do try my best to avoid being a further irritant.

However anyone moving to the South needs to know that while the majority of people in the South are unlikely to treat them badly about it, or even care about it, some will be standoffish and in small towns they will not be accepted as a part of the community. That is an important consideration and should not be ignored.

I do not let it color my view of TN as I see it as one of the friendliest States I have visited. I have lived all over the US and see TN as one of the best States to live in.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I don't doubt that the term is used in other countries, just as it is still used in the US.

My point is that IN the US the term is used as a pejorative mainly in the South.

As for myself, I have no animosity at all towards those from the South. My family is from the South as well as some from the North. I am also not dark complected, in fact I am quite "white" as to skin tone, as my European ancestors were such.

I am looking forward to living in TN, where I already have family living. I also know that in some areas my "accent" identifies me as not from the South. Several times I have had the term used in a disparaging manner. Am I offended, nope, I feel a bit bad that old problems still cause division. I do try my best to avoid being a further irritant.

However anyone moving to the South needs to know that while the majority of people in the South are unlikely to treat them badly about it, or even care about it, some will be standoffish and in small towns they will not be accepted as a part of the community. That is an important consideration and should not be ignored.

I do not let it color my view of TN as I see it as one of the friendliest States I have visited. I have lived all over the US and see TN as one of the best States to live in.
I, for one, think that you will be readily accepted and look forward to another new Tennesseean. And you do make a good point for future inhabitants, especially retirees, on small communities (many desirable retirement areas are in more rural areas). If this is a major issue, you may want to stick closer to the cities.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
I, for one, think that you will be readily accepted and look forward to another new Tennesseean. And you do make a good point for future inhabitants, especially retirees, on small communities (many desirable retirement areas are in more rural areas). If this is a major issue, you may want to stick closer to the cities.
I agree. Leonard's post was wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville