U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:15 PM

143 posts, read 194,816 times
Default Earth Tremor ????

Did anyone else feel that tremor about 5 mins ago 7.10pm .My whole house shook. I used to live in Spain and we were used to having them but I have never felt them here. I'm off to the internet to see if I can find anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 06:11 PM

143 posts, read 194,816 times
Wow I'm not going crazy it was an earthquake !!! Magnitude 2.9 - EASTERN TENNESSEE (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2008asca.php#details - broken link)

Old 12-17-2008, 06:21 PM

809 posts, read 1,854,236 times
ah that's nuthin, couple months back we had a 5 pointer in southern illinois and I felt it all the way up in Chicago! it was crazy! I thought I was losing my MIND! :P

Old 12-17-2008, 07:57 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,390,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofengland View Post
Wow I'm not going crazy it was an earthquake !!! Magnitude 2.9 - EASTERN TENNESSEE (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2008asca.php#details - broken link)
Hope all is well L/E. Take care.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:30 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,389,703 times
I felt it too, here in Jefferson City/New Market. I was upstairs (third floor) wrapping presents in the bedroom and felt the house shake. It was a roaring boom sorta sound. I didn't hear any sirens so my thoughts of a sinkhole swallowing a farm was not accurate......

Old 12-18-2008, 01:05 AM

21,637 posts, read 31,006,169 times
It happened at 7:05 p.m., so of course I was sleeping.

Magnitude 2.9 earthquake reported near Knoxville : State and Regional News : Knoxville News Sentinel

Old 12-18-2008, 04:12 AM

812 posts, read 1,282,205 times
I was sleeping because I am pulling a double at work, so I had a few hours in between...interesting though!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:36 AM

20 posts, read 53,890 times
Default Earthquake Rocks Knoxville

Did you all feel the earthquake last night? I didn't here in Kingsport, but our power did get interrupted for about half a second. Ofcourse, we didn't know it was due to an earthquake till this morning when it was mentioned on the radio. I found an article about it at WVLT - Home Knoxville, Tennessee - Breaking News, News, Weather, Sports and Traffic from VolunteerTV.com.. Here is what the article says:

"Knoxville (WVLT) - Many of you may have felt the ground below you move Wednesday night.

Around 6:00 p.m. Wednesday, what's being called now a micro-quake rumbled under East Tennessee.

We spoke with a geologist from the United States Geological Survey who says the center of the quake is believed to be 6 miles north of Rockford and just 4 miles south, southwest of Knoxville.

We've also had reports of its movement being felt across west Knoxville, Grainger County and folks in Blount County as well.

We're also finding out the quake is bigger than first thought.

"It has been reviewed by a seismologist as they got more information, both the location and the magnitude predicted it as a 2.2, more information became available and showed it as a 2.6," said Rafael Abreu from the USGS said.

"The last earthquake we had was more of a rumbling sound of a train coming through, but this wasn't the rumbling sound, it was like an underground explosion and then a shake!" Maryville resident Darlene Patterson said.

The geologist says the reason for so many folks feeling the rumble is due to the quakes shallow depth, which was only 15 kilometers below the earths surface."

I'm new to TN and the idea of an earthquake happening around this area seems so weird to me. Does anyone know how often this area of TN gets affected by earthquakes? Does anyone know where some of the fault lines are?

Old 12-18-2008, 07:44 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,213,752 times
In my 20+ years in the Tri Cities, I have never felt one, although at least two small ones have been reported in the general area.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:50 AM

7,472 posts, read 5,934,856 times
I thought that was just me.

"Excuse me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville