Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 11:29 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,513,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingersgal77 View Post
Happy Holiday week everyone. My husband and I are in desperate need of a few good samaritans who will provide us with information about the Tennessee-area. I am a coal miner's daughter from Southern WV and my husband is from both WV and Nebraska. He has been in the military for 19.5 years and we are stationed in Northern Virginia near Washington DC. Let me tell you--I HATE IT HERE and have lived in this for 8 years. I miss the country. He retires in the summer and we just can't decide if we want to move back home or try something new and move to Tennessee.

What we both want is to get a decent amount of land and either build a house on it or hopefully find the kind of house on land already. I do not want to be stuck in a subdivision. I need the country. I want to hunt, fish and the things I did growing up in WV. We are currently leaning more towards WV becuase of the mines and logging roads--I can hop on my 4-wheeler and have the freedom to venture on all the many man-built roads/trails in the mountains. I can also hunt many areas that I don't think you can in TN. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but are there places where one can easily get muddy on their 4-wheeler in the mountains without it being a regulated state park and/or privately owned? Do you have sufficient logging roads, etc...that are free to the public (more or less)? If so, where would these be located?

I know Tennessee has more to offer in the aspect of parks, nightlife, etc.--that too is tantalizing to me and I love to country dance so I know there are lots of bars catering to that there. I love the mountains and would like to be near them. Tennessee mountains are beautiful and huge, but they are either there or not. I am used to mountains (much smaller) being all over me--I grew up in "hollers" for those of you who know what that is. I have to be near the mountains. We have a dilema because my husband's job after he retires from the Marines will allow him to telecommute to DC. We can basically live where we want to. It's a matter of what is best suited for us.

We like the Johnson-city area and/or the country parts of outside of Knoxville-area (mountaineous/hilly-parts). I hope nobody takes offense to this but when we visited Maryville we saw entirely too many "hippies" and that is certainly something I don't want to settle around. That is my preference. I want to be back with down-home country people. Who are nice and don't shun military folks like they do out here in DC.

If you could provide any help whatsoever I would appreciate it very much. It's scary as we are having our first baby in March, selling our home and retiring this summer and having to move and we are unsure of what is best for us.

Thank you so much!
-E
Many parts of TN would fit your needs. Bluff Mountain has ATV sites that you can ride on. We saw them one day when we were hiking there. Chilhowee View is a very rural area that you should check out. Spend some more time in the area and then make your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 04:01 PM

283 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingersgal77 View Post
don't shun military folks like they do out here in DC.
-E
Why do you think they shun military in DC? DC? DC is the center of the military universe. I've been there. I've seen it.

Don't discount the value of family - with a little one, I'd tend to want to be close, if only for the free babysitting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville