Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 06:21 PM

941 posts, read 1,780,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
When you get really into the mountains, most places anyway, it really won't matter which carrier you have, hard to signal into the mountains such as the National parks and so forth.
We used Verizon for the past 5 years and it works as well as any other carrier in the mountains. In traveling cross country and in parts of Alaska we have seldom had 'no service'. The biggest problem I've found is dropped calls but that comes with cell phones. In Gatlinburg there are two towers I know of and the one out 321 has the smallest service area. The one on Mt. Harrison has the best coverage. But as you move around none of them have service everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 10:40 AM

89 posts, read 339,049 times
Another vote for Verizon. Seems to work just fine!

Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,062,618 times
I've used my Sprint service in the mountains and have not had problems. But I don't use it everyday, so I'm hesitant to endorse it. My friend has AT&T and frequently calls me from the mountains and her calls often drop.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:17 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,671,879 times
I have Sprint and my dh Nextel. Both of us have had a few dropped calls while driving through the mountains. So far, both carriers provided equally good service.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:44 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,346,170 times
I have Verizon for personal and work for 7 years now and have zero complaints. I also have their air card and it performs beautifully. There are a few dead spots in the Smokies but really, I shouldn't be on the phone there anyway. (save an emergency situation)

PS. Hi Suzanne, great to see you!!

Old 11-29-2009, 08:15 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,195,312 times
I have Verizon and have no complaints EXCEPT.....wait for it...........I have no service at my own house. 4 bars on the road to my s/d, 3 bars going up my street, 1 bar pulling into my driveway, and then 0.

Thought it was my phone until a trouble call to Verizon and had my laptop card in and they started pulling numbers off it, and guess what???? I have no service in my house, on the back deck, on the front porch, in the yard, yes damn it, I walked all over the friggin yard with my laptop while on the phone (landline) to convince them.

My friends with AT&T have dropped calls a lot, otherwise I would have an i-phone and AT&T.
Verizon has been the best for me, as long as I don't try to call from my house.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:19 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,062,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I have Verizon and have no complaints EXCEPT.....wait for it...........I have no service at my own house. 4 bars on the road to my s/d, 3 bars going up my street, 1 bar pulling into my driveway, and then 0.

Thought it was my phone until a trouble call to Verizon and had my laptop card in and they started pulling numbers off it, and guess what???? I have no service in my house, on the back deck, on the front porch, in the yard, yes damn it, I walked all over the friggin yard with my laptop while on the phone (landline) to convince them.

My friends with AT&T have dropped calls a lot, otherwise I would have an i-phone and AT&T.Verizon has been the best for me, as long as I don't try to call from my house.
Me, too. That's why I just re-upped with Sprint and just tricked out my service.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:27 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,243,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post

My friends with AT&T have dropped calls a lot, otherwise I would have an i-phone and AT&T.
Verizon has been the best for me, as long as I don't try to call from my house.
My parents have the same problem in Rogersville, I used to have that problem in Greeneville.....by any chance do you have a tin roof? I did and they do, we have always wondered if the tin does something weird to the signal?

Old 12-01-2009, 11:37 PM

199 posts, read 518,682 times
Verizon!

We had T-Mobile when we moved down and it was AWFUL. Dropped calls, no reception, you name it. Verizon has treated us very well, and when we made our Thanksgiving trip to Pennsylvania there were only 2 spots in rural West Virginia where we hit roaming... but I'm ok with that, because it meant that in an emergency the phone would've continued to work instead of going completely dead.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:08 AM

592 posts, read 2,125,328 times
I have an iPhone and AT&T. I don't recall many, if any, "dropped calls" happening while in Knox Co.

Service while actually in the mountains is very spotty...and I imagine that's true of most carriers...especially in the Park.

One other coverage area I used to have trouble with was up around Norris Lake on the 33 Bridge. It's now not a problem.

And, at times when we are on Norris lake, coverage can be spotty.

In town, absolutely no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville