U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:03 AM

346 posts, read 529,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post

Sales tax is expensive but we buy as much as possible over the internet; including having new appliances shipped in. We had our new 52 inch tv shipped in, no freight charges, no tax and at a price cheaper than anything we could find in the Knoxville area. We do a lot of shopping on Amazon.com including some grocery items.

And of course you are remitting the proper tax amount to the state (and city/county) on these purchases...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 05:48 AM

3,225 posts, read 9,680,536 times
Many internet purchases still pay State taxes.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:54 AM

Don't be silly. The point of the member I quoted was to avoid taxes.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:33 AM

7,363 posts, read 7,111,376 times
I had a 50 yr old house on a postage stamp lot in florida and it was only a 2 bdr shack really . and it was costing me 3500.00 a yr in property taxes not to mention maintanance and hurricaine insurance and all the other crap florida charges and yet we got minimal city services . you tell me what is going on ? I now live in ky and man oh man I am so much happier . I sold that postage stamp lot to someone from new jersey who thought it was a good deal . Yeah for them i lost 3,000.00 on the deal so you tell me . glad to be gone yes I am .

Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 AM

3,225 posts, read 9,680,536 times
I wasn't being silly 42, I was pointing out that just because you buy something over the internet does not mean you will not pay taxes.
I realize they are trying to avoid paying taxes that way.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:52 AM

2,005 posts, read 3,275,248 times
This is off topic....BUT I thought if the company one bought merchandise from online didn't have a place of business in ones state, they couldn't charge sales tax?
I guess I fail to see why the sales tax point is being made, unless the poster that pointed out SMG not paying sales tax thinks she should for some reason, when she isn't doing anything illegal?
Pam

Old 01-06-2009, 11:02 AM

12,324 posts, read 17,138,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
This is off topic....BUT I thought if the company one bought merchandise from online didn't have a place of business in ones state, they couldn't charge sales tax?
I guess I fail to see why the sales tax point is being made, unless the poster that pointed out SMG not paying sales tax thinks she should for some reason, when she isn't doing anything illegal?
Pam
You are right Pam! If I buy something from CircuitCity.com I pay sales tax because they have a store here if I buy from a website that doesn't have a store in the state then they don't collect.

There are tons of people that cross TN state lines to purchase goods every single day in addition to the internet. (Especially the VA state line where groceries are so much more inexpensive because of tax considerations) It is a widely held practice to buy furniture in NC and have it shipped to other states and there is no sales tax collection.

Now, this is getting off topic so we should get back to Cost of Living and if there are future discussions on taxes we can start a new thread.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:12 AM

Although SMG would love to get back "on topic", the fact is if you make a purchase from Amazon, YOU are responsible for paying your taxes on that item to the state and city/county. Period.

If you go out of state and buy (furniture for example) you are responsible for paying the difference between what you paid and the actual state rate where you live.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:13 AM

2,199 posts, read 4,803,504 times
I'm sorry to post this one last thing, but they now collect sales tax on furniture shipped from NC. We just had that very unpleasant surprise. My new dining room furniture was purchased and delivered with no sales tax, then I got a bill from the state for sales tax. The same thing happened to my brother. Not sure who reports or what the criterion is, but I thought the info might be helpful to someone contemplating purchasing furniture in NC.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Old 01-06-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
Pam
Yes, she is doing something illegal. Not paying taxes on purchases made online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville