U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-10-2009, 11:36 AM
 
3 posts, read 7,027 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I am currently relocating from Johnson City to the Knoxville area. Having in-laws that live in East Knoxville and a job that is in West Knoxville we decided to head North and try to end up about halfway between family and work.

I have been looking at a couple of places in Powell and am not really sure about the area. A few years ago I lived in Chattanooga and there are areas that you wouldn't be caught dead in.

I was wondering. Am I going to have that kind of problem in Powell? I was looking at places in Bradley Place, Valerie Lane (1 street from Bradley Place) and Worthington Place. Does anyone know about these specific parts of Powell? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 PM
 
9,088 posts, read 21,718,783 times
Reputation: 5891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanthom View Post
I am currently relocating from Johnson City to the Knoxville area. Having in-laws that live in East Knoxville and a job that is in West Knoxville we decided to head North and try to end up about halfway between family and work.

I have been looking at a couple of places in Powell and am not really sure about the area. A few years ago I lived in Chattanooga and there are areas that you wouldn't be caught dead in.

I was wondering. Am I going to have that kind of problem in Powell? I was looking at places in Bradley Place, Valerie Lane (1 street from Bradley Place) and Worthington Place. Does anyone know about these specific parts of Powell? Thanks.
What kinds of "problems" are you wanting to avoid in Powell? Powell is a nice area, not luxurious, but nice. It's very country. Even with a bunch of new subdivisions, it's still "country." It's not super convenient to a lot of things, but on the other hand there are some nice retail options fairly close by on Clinton Hwy (Target, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's, Kroger).

From what I've heard, the schools in Powell are decent. They're not as vaunted as the schools in posh West Knox, but they certainly don't have the same bad reputation as schools in East Knoxville.

If you're looking for an inexpensive suburban lifestyle, I think Powell is fine. If you want to be closer to town but stay in North Knox, you might want to check out Fountain City.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2009, 12:23 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,027 times
Reputation: 11
Just want to know that if I decide to sit on my porch at night I'm not going to having to worry about something happening or having to worry to much about my car/house being broken into. I know it could happen anywhere but before I moved to Johnson City I was afraid to even drive with my doors unlocked and where I'm at now I don't even worry about locking my doors. I'd like something midway between what I have now.

I did like the way that Powell felt like Johnson City while having a big city just a hop, skip and a jump away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
21,686 posts, read 32,016,902 times
Reputation: 11808
For three years, I lived just north of Powell. Meh. I always got that weird Florida vibe from the place. It is far less built-up, but it just never felt like a lot of Tennessee.

We finally bought a house in Fountain City and I couldn't be happier. Nice area and it seems a bit more "authentic" if anyone can understand what I mean. Also, Fountain City would also be better distance-wise, with East and West Knoxville.

I hated living in Powell and having to travel up and down I-75. Seemed like such a waste of gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2009, 02:43 PM
 
9,088 posts, read 21,718,783 times
Reputation: 5891
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
For three years, I lived just north of Powell. Meh. I always got that weird Florida vibe from the place. It is far less built-up, but it just never felt like a lot of Tennessee.

We finally bought a house in Fountain City and I couldn't be happier. Nice area and it seems a bit more "authentic" if anyone can understand what I mean. Also, Fountain City would also be better distance-wise, with East and West Knoxville.

I hated living in Powell and having to travel up and down I-75. Seemed like such a waste of gas.
I was hoping hiknapster would chime in! I agree with everything she said, too. She and I are big fans of Fountain City which I think is a wonderful compromise between East and West Knox.

Lanthom, since you have driven through Powell before, did you get the feeling that it was dangerous? I've been there several times but never felt threatened at all. I'm just curious why you felt the need to bring it up. Have you talked to people in Powell who feel like it's dangerous there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2009, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
2,173 posts, read 5,021,848 times
Reputation: 1435
I think it depends on what you're calling Powell. If you go West off Emory Road, and keep going, it's old and sort of industrial and there's an old downtown Powell. That part may not be appealing.
But I have friends who live in Powell on the East side of Emory Road near where Valerie Lane and Bradley Place are and that area is very suburban and really nice. There's the new St. Mary's Hospital right there, plenty of shopping and lots more going in.
Some people call this area Halls, but it's actually Powell. That area feeds into Gibbs High School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
21,686 posts, read 32,016,902 times
Reputation: 11808
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I think it depends on what you're calling Powell. If you go West off Emory Road, and keep going, it's old and sort of industrial and there's an old downtown Powell. That part may not be appealing.
But I have friends who live in Powell on the East side of Emory Road near where Valerie Lane and Bradley Place are and that area is very suburban and really nice. There's the new St. Mary's Hospital right there, plenty of shopping and lots more going in.
Some people call this area Halls, but it's actually Powell. That area feeds into Gibbs High School.
Valerie Lane is very near the hospital and the hospital is near I-75. I was going to look at a house on Valerie Lane but I did not like that street. They seemed kind of like "low rent" condos. The two houses for sale, right now, are for $94,000 and $89,000.

But it is not an unsafe area. By the way, knoxgarden, I don't think anyone calls the area Halls and the high school is definitely Powell.

Going west from I-75 is Powell center where Powell High School is located. It is not scary. In fact, there is a wonderful little diner-type place and the owner is a gem. Further west is the Broadacres area. There are some lovely older homes on that part of Emory. Behind it are lots of subdivisions that are tastefully done, for the most part.

Worthington Place are condos off of Heiskell Road. It's a very nice area but the condos are REALLY smooshed together. One of the worst that I have ever seen. Turning your car around down there is an issue.

Still, I never had a very good vibe in Powell except for the Greek gentleman that owns the diner and his very nice waitresses. Even the library, although lovely, had a weird vibe to it.

My daughter still goes to Powell Boys&Girls and I adore the staff, but, eh, the parents, well, not so much. I've been going there for three years and there is a fireman that now just barely cracks a smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2009, 10:23 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,027 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Have you talked to people in Powell who feel like it's dangerous there?
There wasn't anything in particular it's just that the area looked similar to an area I use to live in in Chattanooga that wasn't a good part of town. I went driving back through the area again tonight and it didn't feel as bad as it did last week. I think I'm just having pre-move jitters. Moving to a new town and starting a new job.

I was pretty impressed when I went driving down a few different subdivisions out there and people were sleeping with their windows open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 03:45 AM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
21,686 posts, read 32,016,902 times
Reputation: 11808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanthom View Post
There wasn't anything in particular it's just that the area looked similar to an area I use to live in in Chattanooga that wasn't a good part of town. I went driving back through the area again tonight and it didn't feel as bad as it did last week. I think I'm just having pre-move jitters. Moving to a new town and starting a new job.

I was pretty impressed when I went driving down a few different subdivisions out there and people were sleeping with their windows open.
POWELL???????

You had to have been sincerely traumatized to think that Powell looks like the bad part of town or you are use to the VERY fancy part of town.

Powell is just subdivision hell, when you get down to it.

For those not in the know, click on area 124. That is Powell.

Search Details

Of course people sleep with their windows open. This is Knoxville. I wouldn't want to live on Valerie Lane, though. It only seemed a step or two above a trailer park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 05:26 PM
BST
 
Location: Powell, TN
451 posts, read 728,753 times
Reputation: 171
What I like best about living in Powell is the easy commute. I-75 is but one option. I can actually be in deep West Knoxville in 20 minutes or so and never drive on the interstate. Crime is virtually non-existent in my neighborhood...though I did have someone steal a briefcase from my car once. My fault for not locking my doors. I got lulled into complacency.

The thing I like least about living in Powell is how difficult it is to assimilate if your grandpappy didn't have a farm in the area years ago. People aren't overtly rude in Powell...just very slow to open up and embrace newcomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top