Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2007, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 16,081 times

Advertisements

I cant wait to move now!! We just returned from visiting TN. We stayed at a hotel in Lenoir City. (Hubby's job is there) Lenoir City personally isnt my favorite City. I Loved Kingston Though!! What a lovely area, all the lake views it is so very pretty there. We also really liked the Powell area. I heard great things about the school system in Powell but not as much about the ones in Kingston. Anyone have any info about the Kingston schools? We have 2 young girls so that is one of our top concerns. Every one there is sooooo friendly more than willing to give directions, advise, or just welcome you to the area.

We are moving as soon as possible. They want hubby to start right away but we need to find housing. We looked at a few places while we were there but didnt really find anything that interest us. After seeing how much rent is (Wow I havent rented in 11 yrs and didnt realize how much that was) We are looking to purchase I think.Does anyone have any suggestion on a good realtor in that area??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 03:36 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,695,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynderbelle View Post
I cant wait to move now!! We just returned from visiting TN. We stayed at a hotel in Lenoir City. (Hubby's job is there) Lenoir City personally isnt my favorite City. I Loved Kingston Though!! What a lovely area, all the lake views it is so very pretty there. We also really liked the Powell area. I heard great things about the school system in Powell but not as much about the ones in Kingston. Anyone have any info about the Kingston schools? We have 2 young girls so that is one of our top concerns. Every one there is sooooo friendly more than willing to give directions, advise, or just welcome you to the area.

We are moving as soon as possible. They want hubby to start right away but we need to find housing. We looked at a few places while we were there but didnt really find anything that interest us. After seeing how much rent is (Wow I havent rented in 11 yrs and didnt realize how much that was) We are looking to purchase I think.Does anyone have any suggestion on a good realtor in that area??
I'm so glad you like the Knoxville area! And I agree, Kingston is a lovely little town. I also agree that the schools in Powell probably have a better reputation, but I honestly don't know if they're THAT much better. Maybe by the time your kids are in high school it'll make a difference. Knox County has some really good high schools--Powell HS is definitely a good one.

I have the name of a really good realtor that I'll PM you, but I'm not sure if her office does much outside of Knox County. But even if not, they should still be able to refer you to someone.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2007, 03:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,025,792 times
My daughter goes to Copper Ridge, which is considered a Powell elementary school. We absolutely love it! It's a caring country school where your kids can get a great education. If you pick your child up at school, the kids sit on benches out front with the neighborhood dogs, which is apparently a tradition! The older children open the car door for your child and tell the parents to "Have a nice day!"

I love it!

Old 03-09-2007, 05:36 PM

Wow Hipnapster, That sounds like what we are looking for! We live in a very small town and at my daughters school you know all the teachers by their first name,You know their families...ect..

I dont know if we will be able to find quite what we have here but I would like to get as close as possible.

Thanks JMT for the info. I will contact her tom. and see if she can help me.

This forum has been wonderful. I have spent wks on here reading all the info on TN. Everyone just seems so nice!!

Old 03-09-2007, 08:18 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,379,634 times
Wow, I'm glad to hear you liked Kingston! That area seems to me, like it might be right for us too, although of course you have to actually "be there" to know what it's like.

Did you take any pictures (hope hope!)?

Powell, hmm? Is that an area that has rural sections with larger land parcels? I hadn't considered it...but will!

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-12-2007, 05:41 AM

I so wish I would have remembered my Camera when we went!!! I still cant believe I forgot it!! I believe if you do a search someone at one time posted some pics of Kingston on here. Maybe I am remembering wrong because I have been looking all over the internet for info on TN but I think it was this forum.

I wish I could tell you more about Powell. We spent 5 days down there and drove around to the different areas. From what everyone told us Powell is supposed to have the best school system in the area. From what I remember Powell had some lovely homes but not sure about land. The prices seemed high in that area tho, we were told it was because of the school system.

We had someone look at our house this wknd and they are very interested in buying it so we are one step closer to moving. Now all we have to do is find a place down there and pack up and go lol.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:38 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,025,792 times
I don't know if Powell has the best school system. It is good, though. I think the prices are high here. I rent and probably will not buy a home here. I'm not sure where we will end up buying. Everything has gone up drastically in the past 17 months.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:30 AM

17 posts, read 83,876 times
I live in Knoxville but work in Kingston, Harriman, and Lenoir City. Kingston is nice- and I have a lot of co-workers and friends who live there. They love the small town feel, and everyone knows everyone (and everything!). I would steer very clear of Harriman though. Lenoir City is growing (and probably will grow right into W. Knoxville) so homes are getting more expensive in that area. The co-workers here say that Kingston high school has a bit of a drug problem..... there kids aren't "affected" but apparently there is a little too much (then again, from my high school days, I remember this being the deal just about everywhere--so it's probably going to boil down to your own children's vulnerability)

Old 03-30-2007, 10:50 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,766,734 times
ahhh... Powell. I had a number of friends who grew up there. There words for it were: "Subdivision hell". But then again, it is an older subdivision with many homes built in the late 60's, early 70's. At one time it had the distinction of being the biggest subdivision in the Southeast. That was eclipsed a long time ago, but it gives you and idea of how big it is.If you're from a subdivision, then you might feel right at home and find the stylish 70's ranchers to be charming. The school system is good.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:46 AM

95 posts, read 567,464 times
cynderbelle: what didn't u like about Lenoir City?

We are making a trip out there in June to check out all of Knoxville and surrounding areas. If Lenoir City is growing towards W knoxville then to me, that seems great. CUrious what your/or anyone's thought's are about this side?

We want a good public school or private school is fine too. As long as it is big, not a tiny one attached to a church, IYKWIM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville