Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 AM

389 posts, read 1,071,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Sorry about that. Hik is right. TRI is Tri Cities. Since you said you work for the TSA at the airport I figured you knew the 3 digit airport codes. TYS is Knoxville and TRI is for Tri Cities (Kingsport, Johnson City and Bristol). The Tri Cities is located in northeast TN.
I don't know all the airport codes in the US, though! There are 450 of them. I know all the ones in the district I work in, but not in the whole US.

Quote:
Artic, the following may not apply to you, but....
Traveling around I see a lot of places where it looks like people that live by those words "leave me the hell alone, I will do what I want". I see dilapidated buildings, junk cars, abandoned appliances, and piles of trash all over the place.

I for one would not care to live across the road, next door, or close to a place like that.

Then there are the people that want to build a 3 story structure that is fashioned after someone's anatomy and paint it purple. It's their right too. Would you want to live across the road from it?

Or maybe the wacko that puts up large signs on the road frontage that proclaim their political or racial views.

All in the name of "no one is going to tell me how to live on my property. Yet I know there are places where you can do this.
While I understand entirely what your point is, Barking Spider, my desire is to live in a place where I won't see my neighbors. I realize that this won't happen initially, and that I have to save up quite a bit of money to buy some property, but even so, when I buy a house I don't want to have a HOA. In my experience, they are typically very petty people who are control freaks. They take your money and give you essentially nothing in return. I'm sorry, but if it's MY property, and YOU don't own it, YOU don't get to tell me what to do with it simply because YOU don't like what I've done with my property. So long as what I'm doing is not causing harm to anyone (like allowing the grass in my yard to be one inch taller than everyone else's, etc), and is not violating building codes or city ordinances, you shouldn't have any right to "fine" me. (Note, the "you" in this rant means HOAs, not you personally. )

Get my drift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 AM

83 posts, read 345,857 times
ArcticPhoenix...I worked for TSA at TYS for 3 years, from 2002-2005. I live in Roane county and easily made to the airport in 30-35 minutes and I'm not a speeder. I'm only 27 miles from the airport. The key to it is being close to the interstate system. I would look for land in Roane county (near I-40) or Loudon county (near I-75). I don't know if you can get 5-10 acres for $20k anywhere but those 2 counties are more rural and it could be possible. We paid $20k for our 3 acres back in 2003. The zip code at the airport is 37701. The zip code 37771 in which I live, is shared by Roane & Loudon county. You could google or mapquest the zip codes to the counties around the airport to see how far 45 minutes put you and go from there. You can always get a list of zip codes fro www.usps.com. That's where I get my shipping info from.

I'm not sure why you wish to move to East TN but as I posted on another thread, I'm trying to get out. If you have sinus problems it might get worse if you move here. I have chronic sinus infections due to the air pollution here in the valley from all the traffic coming through Knoxville, 2 coal fire plants (big culprit), pollen and humidity. The pollutents just get trapped. You have the Cumberland Plateau on the west side of you and the Appalachian mountains on the east side. Also the humidity here in the summer from July to September in unbearable at times. If you step outside for 1 minute you'll be pouring the sweat. I don't mean to sound negative, just being honest. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Brother_Greg; 01-29-2009 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Needed to add more

Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,781,754 times
This might be perfect for you, and considering the location I think it's a steal at under $2200 an acre:
Bristol, TN, 37620 - MLS ID#268117 - Land Real Estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Bristol_TN_37620_1102043877 - broken link)

Here's an aerial view:
0 Alex Lane Bristol TN 37620 - Google Maps

This heavily wooded & mountainous property is on a dead-end road next to 2200-acre Steele Creek Park, and is just 12 miles from Tri-Cities Regional Airport. It's also very close to Bristol Motor Speedway (2 miles) if you have an opportunistic bent. According to a separate listing I found for this property, it's "level at the top" and "would be awesome for a cabin."

Old 01-29-2009, 07:55 PM

6,337 posts, read 11,509,381 times
I think for what you're looking for you should look in northern Monroe County. Land won't be so expensive because the schools aren't as good as Blount and it is a little of a frontier feeling - I've been on some backroads up around citico creek that are a bit wild and wooly. I think you can find the seclusion you seek, though you will pass some scruffy neighbors on the way home.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:18 PM

Thanks for the info, Brother Greg. I have my reasons for wanting to move to Tennessee, and more specifically, eastern Tennessee. Although I didn't know about the coal plants. That kind of sucks. Heh... maybe we should just... swap places. You could come out here to Spokane, and I could go to Knoxville. Problem solved?

I'll look at Monroe County..... Thanks, creeksitter!

Old 01-31-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
Heh... maybe we should just... swap places. You could come out here to Spokane, and I could go to Knoxville. Problem solved?
That's pretty funny. Actually, we have been looking into moving to Alaska, Wyoming and your state of Washington. I have been doing a lot of my Washington research around the Wenatchee area up to Leavenworth. But, once I found out that the temps in Wenatchee get to 90+ degrees in the summer that changed my mind. I want temps to be less than 80 degrees in the summer and the cooler the better, with little to no humidity.

Best of luck to you. OH! I don't know if you've seen on the news about the Kingston Steam Plant (in Harriman) that had the coal ash that spilled out into the lake/river? I live 17 miles up the road from it (via interstate I-40). What I'm saying is, if you look for land in Roane county, be sure it's not land around Swan Pond Rd. That's all coal ash now. Just beware.

Blessings to you! BG

Old 02-01-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Greg View Post
That's pretty funny. Actually, we have been looking into moving to Alaska, Wyoming and your state of Washington. I have been doing a lot of my Washington research around the Wenatchee area up to Leavenworth. But, once I found out that the temps in Wenatchee get to 90+ degrees in the summer that changed my mind. I want temps to be less than 80 degrees in the summer and the cooler the better, with little to no humidity.

Best of luck to you. OH! I don't know if you've seen on the news about the Kingston Steam Plant (in Harriman) that had the coal ash that spilled out into the lake/river? I live 17 miles up the road from it (via interstate I-40). What I'm saying is, if you look for land in Roane county, be sure it's not land around Swan Pond Rd. That's all coal ash now. Just beware.

Blessings to you! BG
Trust me when I say this, 90 degrees here feels awesome. I won't go swimming here unless it's 95+, which is rare. Spokane might actually be a good choice for you. There's next to no humidity at all here in the summer... so even though the temperature says "90", it's more like... 70 in the South (I grew up in West Virginia, I KNOW what hot and humid feels like).

Or the coast might be a good choice for you... cool summers, mild winters... clear summers, too. There's hardly a drop of rain from the end of June to the end of July in coastal Washington. Thanks for the heads up with regards to the Kingston area... I'm not going to go to a smaller airport, though... I don't want to be forced into working a split shift, which may happen if I go to a Cat III or IV airport... and you KNOW what I'm talking about too, I'm sure...

Just out of curiosity, is Knoxville's airport a Cat I? That's what Spokane's is, so I'd be interested in knowing.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
Just out of curiosity, is Knoxville's airport a Cat I? That's what Spokane's is, so I'd be interested in knowing.

I believe it is a CAT II. You might want to google it a bit. By the way here is the link to the McGhee Tyson airport website. Just in case your interested. Knoxville McGhee Tyson Airport

Old 02-04-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Greg View Post
I believe it is a CAT II. You might want to google it a bit. By the way here is the link to the McGhee Tyson airport website. Just in case your interested. Knoxville McGhee Tyson Airport
Hrmm... could I talk to you via PM? Or could you maybe PM me with your email address or the like? Since you worked at that airport, for TSA no less, I'd really like to talk to you in private to get to know what working there is actually like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville