Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support metro government?
Yes 10 66.67%
No 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 04:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,117,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I wouldn't support it unless Knox County government cleans up their act. There may be economies to be had, but based on what we've seen of the problems with county government -- credit cards, sherrif's office, contracting, cronyism in filling term-limited seats, etc. -- giving the current government control over city and county would be giving the fox the run of the chicken coup.
Clean up county government, then talk consolidation.
Oh. I was assuming that we could just get rid of county government and Lumpy-like antics.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:20 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,382,619 times
One of the main reasons we are not in Knox County is Ragsdale, Lumpy and the gang.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
One of the main reasons we are not in Knox County is Ragsdale, Lumpy and the gang.
When we bought our house within city limits I said, "Whew, we are finally free of Lumpy who was our commissioner."

They should ban him from coming into the city. Remember the gunfight at the East Towne Mall?

I saw him at KUB and to this day I can't figure out if he was up to no good or being a good Samaritan.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:42 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,640,878 times
Current proposals, at least the ones I've heard of, call for disbanding city government and putting the county mayor and commissioners in charge of the consolidated government.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Current proposals, at least the ones I've heard of, call for disbanding city government and putting the county mayor and commissioners in charge of the consolidated government.
Yikes! I would never vote for that, not even if I was drugged and bribed.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:32 PM

197 posts, read 483,594 times
Umm, yeah - No.
I would not vote for that.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,768,386 times
Quote:
I have never heard that. How did Nashville do it? In my opinion, for Knoxville to reach its potential metro government is a necessity. Many people don't realize that Knox Co. has nearly as many people as Davidson Co. But Nashville looks much bigger on paper because it is metro. Don't think that matters? It does to businesses that are merely looking at the paper when considering where to expand or relocate. Of course there are still many in Knox Co. that fear change. They like to collect guns and hang "no trespassing" signs in their yard...and vote for Lumpy. Usually the more educated county residents.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:39 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,784,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
I have never heard that. How did Nashville do it? In my opinion, for Knoxville to reach its potential metro government is a necessity. Many people don't realize that Knox Co. has nearly as many people as Davidson Co. But Nashville looks much bigger on paper because it is metro. Don't think that matters? It does to businesses that are merely looking at the paper when considering where to expand or relocate. Of course there are still many in Knox Co. that fear change. They like to collect guns and hang "no trespassing" signs in their yard...and vote for Lumpy. Usually the more educated county residents.
That's sort of what happened in Nashville. When a city and county merge, it's the city that gives up its charter and is absorbed by the county. So, technically, the city ceases to exist.

HOWEVER...

That doesn't mean that the county commission automatically takes over. In Nashville, they essentially combined their old county commission with the old city council to create a much larger metropolitan council. Some in Nashville say that their metro council is too large (it's got 40 members) but at the time it was, I think, the only way that the voters would accept consolidation.

Frankly I don't know what the big fuss is about. In a larger metro council, buffoons like Lumpy wouldn't have nearly as much clout as he does in a smaller county commission particularly when weighted against the council reps coming from Knoxville's more urban neighborhoods.

But, like I said before, the devil is in the details. I certainly wouldn't vote "no" just because of Lumpy.

And I agree, I think it would be sweet for Knoxville to have a population of 420,000 instead of 180,000.

Oh I just thought of one bump on the road. What would happen to Farragut? Some of Davidson County's old towns have remained fiercely independent (Belle Meade, Berry Hill, Forest Hills, Old Hickory) and separate from the rest of metropolitan Davidson County. I wonder if voters in Farragut would want to dissolve their posh enclave or would want to stay separate?

Old 01-29-2009, 11:59 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,768,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That's sort of what happened in Nashville. When a city and county merge, it's the city that gives up its charter and is absorbed by the county. So, technically, the city ceases to exist.

HOWEVER...

That doesn't mean that the county commission automatically takes over. In Nashville, they essentially combined their old county commission with the old city council to create a much larger metropolitan council. Some in Nashville say that their metro council is too large (it's got 40 members) but at the time it was, I think, the only way that the voters would accept consolidation.

Frankly I don't know what the big fuss is about. In a larger metro council, buffoons like Lumpy wouldn't have nearly as much clout as he does in a smaller county commission particularly when weighted against the council reps coming from Knoxville's more urban neighborhoods.

But, like I said before, the devil is in the details. I certainly wouldn't vote "no" just because of Lumpy.

And I agree, I think it would be sweet for Knoxville to have a population of 420,000 instead of 180,000.

Oh I just thought of one bump on the road. What would happen to Farragut? Some of Davidson County's old towns have remained fiercely independent (Belle Meade, Berry Hill, Forest Hills, Old Hickory) and separate from the rest of metropolitan Davidson County. I wonder if voters in Farragut would want to dissolve their posh enclave or would want to stay separate?
The answer to that one is obvious! And yes, I think you would see the same-type council in Knoxville. My guess is that they would borrow the metro Nashville handbook. Another plus to metro government: the end to Knoxville's long annexation battles. A few interesting facts: Knoxville has the smallest land area of TN's four major cities (yep, Chattanooga has more land) and Clarksville is now approaching Knoxville's land area. What does this say? Much of "Knoxville" (the area that functions as Knoxville) is not even in the city limits. Knox Co. is pushing 450,000, though I don't know if it will make it by the 2010 census. Knoxville will probably finally hit 200,000 by the census (I think). In the modern era of sprawl, a city's population is often merely how much it can annex (if it hasn't gone metro). Knoxville operates as a city of more than a half million (pushing 700,000 metro), so why shouldn't the official population more accurately reflect this?

Last edited by Kitties of Domination; 01-30-2009 at 12:22 AM..

Old 01-30-2009, 12:17 AM

7,509 posts, read 17,141,446 times
The mere fact that Knoxville still has a commissioner named "Lumpy" is very telling, I think.

I fear we're (well, you all - I've left now, lol!) a few years behind Nashville and the gang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville