Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support metro government?
Yes 10 66.67%
No 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,073 times

Advertisements

Would you support metro government consolidation?

Old 01-27-2009, 03:47 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
Would you support metro government consolidation?
Kitties, if you don't mind me offering some advice.... you might want to provide an explanation of what exactly metro government consolidation means as you understand it.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Kitties, if you don't mind me offering some advice.... you might want to provide an explanation of what exactly metro government consolidation means as you understand it.
Yes. I read the news everyday, or try to, yet I know little about this subject. Also, are you including city residents in the dialogue?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:17 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
I would imagine that KoD is talking about a structure similar to that of the Nashville metro government.

I didn't vote, as I no longer live in Knox County/Knoxville City, but I think it has many benefits.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I would imagine that KoD is talking about a structure similar to that of the Nashville metro government.

I didn't vote, as I no longer live in Knox County/Knoxville City, but I think it has many benefits.
I agree. It certainly helped Nashville. Before consolidation, Nashville and Knoxville were roughly the same size. After Nashville consolidated with Davidson County, its economy really started to take off.

In theory (and this devil is in the details) a consolidated city-county government means a streamlining of government bureaucracy which should lead to lower taxes and better services. In theory.

Right now, if a corporation wants to locate to Knoxville, they have to deal with two local bodies of government. In Nashville there's just one.

Technically, when a city and county consolidate, the city officially ceases to exist; the city gives up its charter and is absorbed into the county.

At any rate, I'm all for it. I believe polls have shown that Knoxville city residents are generally for consolidation since it means their property taxes will probably be lowered, but rural Knox County residents are generally against consolidation because their property taxes will probably be raised--although their level of services (fire, police, garbage, etc.) will also increase.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:55 PM

391 posts, read 1,359,327 times
As an ex city-liver, now moved out to the far reaches of county, I would definitely support metro consolidation. I would love to have the extra benefits provided under the city umbrella policy. County taxes for me will go up of course, but worth it.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:15 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
JMT summed it up fairly well. One government, one mayor, one police force, etc. Also, Knox Co. schools could possibly benefit from increased revenue. Maybe metro government could be a positive outcome from the whole county government fiasco. According to a recent poll, the gap appears to be closing between county and city residents (some 45% of county residents now support metro, quite a bit higher than it used to be).

Old 01-28-2009, 10:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
It seems like a no brainer, don't you think?

Old 01-29-2009, 03:18 PM

197 posts, read 485,435 times
Not really a no brainer to everyone. There are county residents who live in the county because they prefer to have less regulation. Like on livestock for instance - county residents can have chickens. I remember a discussion a couple months ago where a person came to CD to ask if folks would support hens (not roosters) in city limits and the city residents said, "no go out to the county for that..." There are a lot of my neighbors who have a cow or two. The allowed pet numbers are different, also.

Of course, to me, I found out that none of that actually ended up mattering all that much to me after all and so I bought a house in the city limits in order to take advantage of the better services.
Would taxes go down for those already inside city limits? No, I don't really think so since the infrastructure would have to be extended. City folks have things like KAT Bus lines - that would have to be extended better - more garbage trucks, etc - infrastructure costs a lot.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:00 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
I wouldn't support it unless Knox County government cleans up their act. There may be economies to be had, but based on what we've seen of the problems with county government -- credit cards, sherrif's office, contracting, cronyism in filling term-limited seats, etc. -- giving the current government control over city and county would be giving the fox the run of the chicken coup.
Clean up county government, then talk consolidation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville