Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly7 View Post
I had to look that term up, never heard of it. I don't see the kid having a problem, kids are just kids around here, nobody really pays much attention to color, etc. You might get asked the kid's roots out of curosity but usually in a very polite way.

Good teachers are always in demand here. There is a new school opening in the Witt area. Other jobs are getting hard to find. Keep in mind when house hunting that jobs here don't pay as much as other places. I never realized how different until a lady from FL came in and said in FL she made 22.00 /hr as a nurse, here the same job was 8.50/hr.
Hilly! How the heck are you and where the have ya been?

You've never heard of the term "biracial?" That is amazing, especially since one of our presidential candidates happens to be biracial.

Anyway, you must have some mighty nice folks in your neck of the woods, because it has been my experience that the more rural you get the higher the possibility of meeting the cast from "Deliverance" and all the bad possibilities that you can conjure up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 07:45 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
BF, it seems in Holston Hills you can have the best of both worlds, close to the city but still pretty quiet (if you have good neighbors).

It's hard for us to answer that question, because we aren't you. Are you feeling agricultural? 'cause you can grow all the vegetables 1 person can use on a sunny city lot. But if you just want the rural lifestyle, maybe you could rent a place for a month and see how it suits you.

Let me guess... did you attend the Parkridge home tour on Sunday? Because there were some very inspirational houses - especially the works-in-progress. It reminded me of Fourth & Gill in the 80's.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:17 AM

188 posts, read 567,040 times
The most sun I see in my Holston yard is just about 6 hours on a few small locations...just making it into the "full sun" category.

There are lots of trees... which I love... but this has the drawback of minimizing the sun.

I waffle back and forth on whether I honestly want to move to a more rural setting.

Holston Hills is incredibly convenient.

I have driven by very few homes that I would call "bad neighbors" in my neighborhood. Frankly, almost everyone around here has a better yard, better landscaping, and far better home than my own!

The very few bad apples live out on the edges, and they are "bad" only in the sense that they have too much junk in and around their yard (children's toys, cheesy BBQ grill, broken things,etc.)

Old 11-11-2008, 10:32 AM

111 posts, read 375,019 times
Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Hilly! How the heck are you and where the have ya been?

You've never heard of the term "biracial?" That is amazing, especially since one of our presidential candidates happens to be biracial.

Anyway, you must have some mighty nice folks in your neck of the woods, because it has been my experience that the more rural you get the higher the possibility of meeting the cast from "Deliverance" and all the bad possibilities that you can conjure up.
I live in a small world I guess. lol. Been keeping busy between r.e. and farming, plus bike riding. lol. We just went through Cosby a couple weeks ago on bikes. Last week we ended up in KY, beautiful ride except the construction work.

There are spots one could go that it would be an issue, but hardly anybody in Cosby is actually from there, so thats not one. I guess that one of my neighbor's kid would be biracial, her mom is white and her dad is black. I think I misread the term. Then again since most of us here have Cherokee mixed, guess most are, maybe thats why we don't really pay much attention to it. They're just kids here.

If people haven't lived out in a rural setting, if there is one available try renting first to see how everybody likes it. Rural living ain't for everybody and most kids play with animals because there just ain't any other kids close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville