U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,853,735 times

Advertisements

Lane kiffen? Every site I try to load like vols xtra doesn't load. I'm a FL native up in Big 10 country now so we don't get any good SEC news. Lane is that monte's son or something? Sorry to see Fulmer go. It will never be the same without Fulmer vs. Spurrier. Around 1994 Gators come to Knoxville #1 vs #2, 4th and 11 Spurrier goes for it, TD to Rediele Anthony, set the tone for the game. Helicopters,blimps,ESPN, at the time supposedly the 2nd largest crowd to witness a game. The year before TN had em beat in the swamp but then "FL poured on the points" in the rain according to the Knoxville newspaper. Were you all pulling for FL in the championship? Just so it's the SEC, pull for em, right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,977,874 times
Hey xlabel, welcome and yes , most Tennesseans, that I know, pulled for the Gators, and glad to see Tim Tivo return. Yes its sad that Spurrier is not there anymore. Try govols.com and mrsec.com and you should read all you want.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:22 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,044,331 times
Lane Kiffin vs. Urban Meyer has already started on a white-hot fever pitch over recruits. Kiffin publicly accused Meyer of cheating...was reprimanded by the SEC office. Foley demands a public apology because Urban didn't cheat. The beat goes on.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 AM

391 posts, read 1,167,305 times
Lane Kiffin is one uproven, overly cocky, tastefully arrogant, pompous SOB. And I love it. Yes, he is Monty's son, and that is a huge draw in defensive recruiting. As BST stated, he has already taken two pot shots yesterday at Florida and Alabama during a boosters' breakfast. He is becoming quite cocky, in terms of blathering about recruits, and I love that fact that we have someone standing up with a megaphone and a "bring it" attitude on campus, I think that was lacking earlier (RIP -retire in peace Fulmer). Though he has put on his big boy pants, so we'll see what happens. Much like Spurrier at FL, if he wins, TN fans will eat up his arrogant attitude like turkey gravy at Thanksgiving. However, if he loses on the otherhand, I feel the traditional fans will see him as the bully pickin' fights on the playground just to get the snot knocked out of him. To early to tell, but Go Vols! And I hate FL! But way to keep the national champs in the SEC!

Old 02-06-2009, 05:44 PM

742 posts, read 1,469,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Sold View Post
Lane Kiffin is one uproven, overly cocky, tastefully arrogant, pompous SOB. And I love it. Yes, he is Monty's son, and that is a huge draw in defensive recruiting. . Though he has put on his big boy pants, so we'll see what happens. Much like Spurrier at FL, if he wins, TN fans will eat up his arrogant attitude like turkey gravy at Thanksgiving.
Some might say arrogant, I would say not arrogant but supremely confident.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Some might say arrogant, I would say not arrogant but supremely confident.

I agree. He has to be.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:17 AM

391 posts, read 1,167,305 times
ATD. There's a fine line between arrogant/cocky and confident, but as I said either way, I love it. But I do have to play a little devil's advocate. Most of the national media perceive his statements and actions as an arrogant new coach. Going after Urban Meyer, directly after they win a national championship and saying "Look at Urban at Flordia, they win a national championship, try to cheat in recruiting, and we still stole the kid outa Florida." This of course was about the late signee they took out of a Florida highschool days before the signing day, after he had committed to Florida. And calling out Alabama in the same day. Then stating that Memphis will be locked down in a year and no kid worthy out of the city will go anywhere else than UT. Seems a bit cocky to me. We all have to keep in mind, there are 5 SEC schools closer to Memphis, Nick Saban is a recruiting and coaching genius, and Flordia has won two national titles in three years. Kiffin has a lot to prove in this conference I think before his statements get more reprimands from the SEC officials. Especially since his last head coaching job went 5-11 and was canned (I know, the Raiders were a lose/lose for anybody). I just hope he has the same pep in his step and can run his mouth AFTER we play Florida and Alabama. But as I said, as a fan, I love it, we need something to get us excited about UT football again, and I believe that's in his game plan, I know it was at USC. Talk shows are eating it up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville